Des Jacklin - The First 66 Days In Review

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
el_ringo
County Player

Des Jacklin - The First 66 Days In Review

Post by el_ringo »

66 fateful days ago the man heralded as the saviour of the BDO completed his Lincs Supported Coup D'etat and became duly elected Chairman of The BDO

Now that the dust has settled on the Winmau World Masters the first 'major' under his reign lets review his and BDO progress since then

66 days ago according to his election manifesto

https://www.cheshiredarts.co.uk/uploads ... unties.pdf

We were promised
1.BDO DIARY
2.SPONSORSHIPS
3.BICC
4.TOURNAMENT VENUES
5.LIBERATING THE BDO

So how has Des met those promises and how far forward is the BDO now 66 days later ?
Des Jacklin wrote:I have undertaken the duty with enthusiasm and have used the opportunity to further my commitment to bring back the credibility, professionalism, financial stability and forward thinking that our great organisation was once renowned for.
i) He seems to have created or assumed an extra role of CEO of the BDO
ii) He has created a policy of openness towards people who wish to also compete in the PDC
iii) He's gone on a few holidays
iv) He had an expenses paid jaunt to the recent Europe Cup to 'meet' members of the WDF which seems to have achieved what ?
v) He's launched an updated website for the BDO in a way that had to be in honour of the passing of Barry Chuckle
vi) He's used the commercial resources of the BDO to promote a privately organised event for which he may gain from

Anything else ? any thoughts ?
Last edited by el_ringo on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
International

Re: Des Jacklin - The First 66 Days In Review

Post by ChrisW »

Think you need to give him 2-3 years to deliver. This is the BDO.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Des Jacklin - The First 66 Days In Review

Post by Ginge »

el_ringo wrote:66 fateful days ago the man heralded as the saviour of the BDO completed his Lincs Supported Coup D'etat and became duly elected Chairman of The BDO

Now that the dust has settled on the Winmau World Masters the first 'major' under his reign lets review his and BDO progress since then

66 days ago according to his election manifesto

https://www.cheshiredarts.co.uk/uploads ... unties.pdf

We were promised
1.BDO DIARY
2.SPONSORSHIPS
3.BICC
4.TOURNAMENT VENUES
5.LIBERATING THE BDO

So how has Des met those promises and how far forward is the BDO now 66 days later ?
Des Jacklin wrote:I have undertaken the duty with enthusiasm and have used the opportunity to further my commitment to bring back the credibility, professionalism, financial stability and forward thinking that our great organisation was once renowned for.
i) He seems to have created or assumed an extra role of CEO of the BDO
ii) He has created a policy of openness towards people who wish to also compete in the PDC
iii) He's gone on a few holidays
iv) He had an expenses paid jaunt to the recent Europe Cup to 'meet' members of the WDF which seems to have achieved what ?
v) He's launched an updated website for the BDO in a way that had to be in honour of the passing of Barry Chuckle
vi) He's used the commercial resourced of the BDO to promote a privately organised event for which he may gain from

vii) - he's failed to get TV coverage of the oldest major on darts for the first time in decades?
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ChrisW wrote:Think you need to give him 2-3 years to deliver. This is the BDO.
I don't personally think, and I am sure noone else does either, that the BDO has 2-3 years to deliver any changes the World's this year really is in effect if they wish to be thought of as still being at any competent professional level their last chance saloon.

To quote Des
Des Jacklin wrote:I have already negotiated several great venues to replace existing ones along with new competitions with high incentive sponsorship.
&
Des Jacklin wrote:of late I have had several meetings with a major overseas sports company who are interested in investing within the BDO, this investment would be across the board, BICC, the professional game, (men’s and ladies) youth and disabled.
el_ringo
County Player

Re: RE: Des Jacklin - The First 66 Days In Review

Post by el_ringo »

Ginge wrote:
El Ringo wrote:
vii) - he's failed to get TV coverage of the oldest major on darts for the first time in decades?
I was trying to avoid any negativity by deliberately not listing things he has failed to do as really that will be a never ending list and I think we should judge him on what he actually does rather than what he doesn't do.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I wait to see what all these new venues are then.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Why on earth did he think it was good idea to put his own picture on the poster for the winmau?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

devosteve wrote:Why on earth did he think it was good idea to put his own picture on the poster for the winmau?
my theory is that hes trying to build a brand for himself, under the banner of the bdo, to take over the running of the cat a's around Europe.

Its a good money spinner for him, they are well supported but he cant just keep running these with no "official" role. Now hes chairman of the BDO he can tell other countries that their events are being taken over by the BDO which makes it a bit more official. Get up to 8 or 10 of these a year and the BDO at that point is essentially just running "affordable darting holiday weeks and holiday camp weekends for all the family where you can have a beer, have a laugh, play some darts and maybe win some money".

Its clear he doesn't really care about the professional side of things, the masters was about as half arsed as you can get it and nobody seems to give a shit about lakeside,

he could go back to the counties in the new year and say "the professional game is gone with the BDO and if we try to resurrect it we will fold, lets focus on affordable holiday tournaments for all the family, keep the BICC going and we will try to create a "finals" weekend somewhere for the best of the year" and I honestly think the Delegates would 100% back him.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin - The First 66 Days In Review

Post by Skewball »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
devosteve wrote:Why on earth did he think it was good idea to put his own picture on the poster for the winmau?
my theory is that hes trying to build a brand for himself, under the banner of the bdo, to take over the running of the cat a's around Europe.

Its a good money spinner for him, they are well supported but he cant just keep running these with no "official" role. Now hes chairman of the BDO he can tell other countries that their events are being taken over by the BDO which makes it a bit more official. Get up to 8 or 10 of these a year and the BDO at that point is essentially just running "affordable darting holiday weeks and holiday camp weekends for all the family where you can have a beer, have a laugh, play some darts and maybe win some money".

Its clear he doesn't really care about the professional side of things, the masters was about as half arsed as you can get it and nobody seems to give a shit about lakeside,

he could go back to the counties in the new year and say "the professional game is gone with the BDO and if we try to resurrect it we will fold, lets focus on affordable holiday tournaments for all the family, keep the BICC going and we will try to create a "finals" weekend somewhere for the best of the year" and I honestly think the Delegates would 100% back him.
That sums it up well actually. And sounds perfectly doable.
The issue will be whether the 40_50 (?) touring men and women will continue to go to many events without a lakeside and masters to reward them. And will those tournaments survive.
I think Turkey may be filling him with undue confidence.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:Its a good money spinner for him, they are well supported but he cant just keep running these with no "official" role. Now hes chairman of the BDO he can tell other countries that their events are being taken over by the BDO which makes it a bit more official.
Do tell, all the national orgs would fall in line with that plan...why exactly? Most of them consider their biggest open as their national championship and/or already use it to bring much-needed funds into their org themselves. All of them would simply tell Des to pull the other one and continue running those same tournaments only with WDF sanctioning. This is Warren Brown-esque pie in the sky stuff you're suggesting here, and as little as I think of Jacklin, I don't think he's quite this detached from reality.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

I agree with Zeyes.

Personally i think Jacklin is slow of the mark with Lakeside but i think its the mess of the last BDO Admin that's has caused this mess. I think in the New Year there will be changes. The World Trophy will disappear for a start.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

I agree with Zeyes and Oche :) They are both on the same page.
copigme
Steady Sixties

Post by copigme »

To be honest I cannot have a clear image about the recovering of BDO after Jacklin's ellection. I think that the best men to talk about it is the Bristish players and Im so far away (in distance, level, experience and other terms). BUT I dont think that we can judge someone's chairmanship within 66 days, especially when the BDO was already falling apart.
I hope that BDO will survive and become stronger because is the routes of not only British but global darts
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Can this be updated :grin:
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

All going nicely thus far.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Great!
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

BlueSpark wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 pm Can this be updated :grin:
Funnily enough I was only thinking of updating this when I had an odd few minutes to count some days etc but I was hoping for some World Darts Trophy news first ;)
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

I'd grade Mr Jacklin a strong B bordering on B+

He's had to mop up and steady the ship. Rome wasn't built in a day.

He has my full support.
UKDA 4 Life
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:I'd grade Mr Jacklin a strong B bordering on B+

He has my full support.
1/10
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Skewball wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:04 am
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:I'd grade Mr Jacklin a strong B bordering on B+

He has my full support.
1/10
Nah. More like 7/10 imo
UKDA 4 Life