Re: RE: Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Skewball »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
oche balboa wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Brett just wants the bdo to vanish

Anyway

Just rang Lakeside asking about Tickets

Was told to expect some positive news within the next few days, BDO have messed around for far too long. It was a bloke I spoke too
At this point yes but only because we are so close to a unified darts again

If the bdo just gave up on lakeside instead of the embarrassment they are doing now we would be there.

Why does 2 world Championships bother you
I think it creates confusion in the sport and its the last barrier that the game has to sort out with the general public, 25 years on and when we talk about darts and world champions the media has to still go on a tangent and explain there is 2 world championships because of the split ect ect ect.

The problem is the divide is pretty much over bar the 2 world championships, darts could be unified in 12-18 months if the BDO just gave up that one tournament. I know its hard for some people as lakeside and the BDO worlds has the history, but at this point its like the japanese soldiers that were still fighting on years after Japan had surrendered.
That barrier has gone already, 100% so if lakeside is only streamed. That's just not a Worlds anymore.
Yes, there are 3 or 4 players who could do ok in the pdc - and plenty with potential, but the latter will end up in the pdc and the former ones, waites , Mitchell and Durrant will become a foot note in the history of darts.
There is only one World champion now.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Skewball wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
oche balboa wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Brett just wants the bdo to vanish

Anyway

Just rang Lakeside asking about Tickets

Was told to expect some positive news within the next few days, BDO have messed around for far too long. It was a bloke I spoke too

If the bdo just gave up on lakeside instead of the embarrassment they are doing now we would be there.

Can you explain why Duzza is doing so many exbos as 'BDO World Champion' if that is the case?
oche balboa
International

Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by oche balboa »

“Creates confusion” people are idiots if that’s the case as it’s bedn two worlds since 1993
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Having 2 World Championships doesn't create confusion (or at least it shouldn't), but it does add another dimension into the problems the BDO face.
Looking back at the previous page, people are tying themselves in knots looking for some sort of equivalency to the situation the BDO are currently in regarding sponsors, TV deals, and getting the former to fund the latter.
I'll admit I've only skim-read it, but it looks like netball and British basketball were the best we could come up with, which is fair enough as long as you're happy ignoring the big, PDC shaped, elephant in the room.

Sponsors are (or were in the case of British basketball) prepared to take a punt and see if there's a market out there. They're prepared to do this, because they know if people want to watch these sports in this country, then theirs is the only game in town. You want to watch netball, here it is.
I know BT Sport have the NBA, which is fine if you live a nocturnal existence or are happy with highlight shows, but if you want live basketball at a civilised hour, the British league is what you have to watch.
Literally the only question is whether enough people actually want to watch these sports. It's that straightforward.

But that's not the position the BDO are in. Anyone wanting to watch darts has an alternative. And it's one that is light years ahead of the BDO in the way it goes about things.
Sponsors and broadcasters clearly aren't prepared to take a punt on the BDO, because recent history suggests if the general public want to watch darts they get Sky or stick ITV4 on.
The difference between the PDC and BDO is like night and day (I'm referring to the professionalism of the organisation, not the playing standard, before Oche and Paddy get on their hind legs).
This week my Facebook feed has been absolutely bombarded by the PDC with box office details for next years Premier League Exbo Tour, yet here we are having this conversation about Lakeside, because no-one in the BDO is prepared to tell us anything.
Why in the name of God would a sponsor want anything to do with an organisation like that?

Over the weekend I was channel surfing, and came across a rugby league game on Freesports. It was an amateur game from the 3rd or 4th tier of the sport. It was largely unwatchable. 26 fat blokes wheezing up and down a ploughed field, occasionally introducing a rugby ball into proceedings.
Christ knows who they'd got to pay for that, but they'd managed it.
The point is, they quite happily marketed it as "grass roots" and chucked it out there to see if any die hards would watch it.
Contrast that with the BDO continuing to claim their flagship event is a "World Professional Championship" to a general public who see a sufficient difference in class between the BDO and PDC, and come to their own, very different conclusion.
For as long as the BDO insist on fighting a war they cannot possibly win, sponsors (and by extension TV companies) are going to give them a wide berth.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

^^^^you will be getting called a m0ng on Fanatics for a fantastic post like that.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

I’ve long said that the “world pro” should be ditched

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

oche balboa wrote:I’ve long said that the “world pro” should be ditched
What the whole tournament? You'll be getting a knock on the door Oche....
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ha, the name it’s should just be BDO world championship

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

oche balboa wrote:Ha, the name it’s should just be BDO world championship
It's what?

Calm down lad, Des knows you were joking.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Skewball »

Addicks Fan wrote:
Skewball wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
oche balboa wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Can you explain why Duzza is doing so many exbos as 'BDO World Champion' if that is the case?
They, and him, can call it whatever they like . Doesn't change what I said one iota.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Skewball is just one man.....a sad one but just one man

Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

oche balboa wrote:Skewball is just one man.....a sad one but just one man
Hello Oche, that's much better.. Nice to see you have finally stopped hurling insults at me so that's a good start. Keep it up buddy.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

The BDO must've touched him as a child. Only explaination for the grudge he holds.
UKDA 4 Life
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
The BDO must've touched him as a child. Only explaination for the grudge he holds.
When he's 60 and his grandchildren ask him how old he is he can smile and say: 'I'm so old that I can remember the BDO being on TV' to which the kids will ask 'what's the BDO?'
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Has anybody considered the BDO might be waiting for the right time to announce the 2019 BDO world you know when they get there most TV exposure the grand slam of darts that would make perfect sense no better time to announce it than when everyone is tuning in live.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

MancheStar wrote:Has anybody considered the BDO might be waiting for the right time to announce the the 2019 BDO world you know when they get there most TV time the grand slam of darts that would make perfect sense no better time to announce it than when everyone is tuning in live.
No, that ridiculous thought that the BDO would break the news whilst everyone was watching a PDC event didnt enter my mind whatsoever.
Big Jock Knew
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

It would be a great bit of marketing for the BDO to plug. There best bet is to announce it to the darts world when everyone’s watching live.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

MancheStar wrote:It would be a great bit of marketing for the BDO to plug. There best bet is to announce it to the darts world when everyone’s watching live.
And leave them less than 2 months to sell tickets? Aye ok.

Anything the BDO announce during those 9 days in November would be lost in the usual PDC PR machine, its a stupid suggestion.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

MancheStar wrote:It would be a great bit of marketing for the BDO to plug. There best bet is to announce it to the darts world when everyone’s watching live.
And that's your problem right there.
What are the BDO going to do exactly? Put a press release on their website and Facebook page? Maybe another photo of Des with his new suit and beard?
No other media are going to pick it up and run with it. If they have any interest in darts they'll be too busy reporting on the action from Wolverhampton. The BDO just don't have the media presence any more.

The only way this works is if the PDC agree to promote it for them, and that ain't happening.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
And that's your problem right there.
What are the BDO going to do exactly? Put a press release on their website and Facebook page? Maybe another photo of Des with his new suit and beard?
Obviously Gary Robson is going to throw the winning double in his (meaningless) last group game, turn to the camera and yell, "And you know what? Lakeside's OOOOONNNNN!!!!!"