Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
London Eye
The Ton Club

Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Post by London Eye »

Makes a total mockery when a challenge tour jobber qualifies for the Grand Slam by way of a two bob scrub comp that proper PDC tour players are excluded from entering. Total mockery, the BDO amateurs add nothing to the event, the PDC should do what's right, stop giving them handouts and boot them from the event for good.
devosteve
International

Re: Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Post by devosteve »

They do add something. They add interest to the event
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

What criteria would you bring to the event
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Wouldn't be the grand slam without the BDO boys, they'd have to rename it 'Same Old Same Old' to match the rest.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:Wouldn't be the grand slam without the BDO boys, they'd have to rename it 'Same Old Same Old' to match the rest.
Aye all those other PDC events that have a group stage in them :roll: just one other one last time I looked
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:Wouldn't be the grand slam without the BDO boys, they'd have to rename it 'Same Old Same Old' to match the rest.
Aye all those other PDC events that have a group stage in them :roll: just one other one last time I looked
You know what I mean Mrs. Pedant
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

It will be an expanded Champions League of Darts

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Well done the BDO for providing a route for challenge tour players to qualify for the slam.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

It's not the same as it first was when the likes of Gary Anderson gave it great interest....but I wouldn't scrap it...who cares if the BDO qualifiers don't to do much in the main ?...it's still something different so I'd keep it for that....Durrant has added something the past couple of years for sure.....definitely should be kept
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

If Durrant had beaten Smith -Neale do you reckon the BDO would have turned to Lisa Ashton ?...I don't think she would have been greatly competitive but it would have created some media interest ..
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

trotter wrote:If Durrant had beaten Smith -Neale do you reckon the BDO would have turned to Lisa Ashton ?...I don't think she would have been greatly competitive but it would have created some media interest ..
No. Whoever was next in the main rankings.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
trotter wrote:If Durrant had beaten Smith -Neale do you reckon the BDO would have turned to Lisa Ashton ?...I don't think she would have been greatly competitive but it would have created some media interest ..
No. Whoever was next in the main rankings.
Yes but next in line would have been a dirty stinking foreign type.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge thinking the BDO is racist. He enjoys playing those sort of cards nowadays

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Booooooooommmmmm!!!!

Oh and it's also a massive whoosh as you clearly forgot what Uncle Des said once.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Haha, lest we forget.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:Haha, lest we forget.
It's worth a bump if you can find it.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

It's alright just found it.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

trotter wrote:It's not the same as it first was when the likes of Gary Anderson gave it great interest....but I wouldn't scrap it...who cares if the BDO qualifiers don't to do much in the main ?...it's still something different so I'd keep it for that....Durrant has added something the past couple of years for sure.....definitely should be kept
It's always been the most discussed PDC tournament if they drop the BDO entrants they have dropped a clanger.

The Clangers can remind the PDC a few things or two.
Watch this clip to remember what 'stars' lie beyond Planet PDC.

el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

If your Tommy Thompson you think the PDC should be paying a premium for the honour of having BDO members compete !
Tommy Thompson wrote:I don’t think the Grand Slam of Darts does the BDO any favours at all, yes it does the 8 selected players a favour, as they get a payday, but what do the BDO gain as a company, the PDC need the event as a different type than they already stage, most of their events are much of a muchness apart from UK Open, same players, similar format, just different venues, the Grand Slam is unique and the BDO gain nothing financially from sanctioning it officially, they as a company do not get a cut of the profits, or share of the TV income.
It started off as a joint venture; it has been whittled down 8 players from the equal numbers originally. If the PDC want to invite any 8 players from anywhere, they can, including Ladies, in fact they could offer Lisa a spot even now if they choose, perhaps their criteria at this late stage is set in stone, and make this scenario impossible.
Perhaps if the BDO want to continue to give away their players as a freebee to the Grand Slam, now is the time to re-write or even write into the rules that the Ladies World Champion will be one of the 8
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

el_ringo wrote:If your Tommy Thompson you think the PDC should be paying a premium for the honour of having BDO members compete !
Tommy Thompson wrote:I don’t think the Grand Slam of Darts does the BDO any favours at all, yes it does the 8 selected players a favour, as they get a payday, but what do the BDO gain as a company, the PDC need the event as a different type than they already stage, most of their events are much of a muchness apart from UK Open, same players, similar format, just different venues, the Grand Slam is unique and the BDO gain nothing financially from sanctioning it officially, they as a company do not get a cut of the profits, or share of the TV income.
It started off as a joint venture; it has been whittled down 8 players from the equal numbers originally. If the PDC want to invite any 8 players from anywhere, they can, including Ladies, in fact they could offer Lisa a spot even now if they choose, perhaps their criteria at this late stage is set in stone, and make this scenario impossible.
Perhaps if the BDO want to continue to give away their players as a freebee to the Grand Slam, now is the time to re-write or even write into the rules that the Ladies World Champion will be one of the 8
Perhaps the BDO players should tell the BDO that they don't owe them a living