Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: Time to scrap BDO from Grand Slam

Post by Ginge »

el_ringo wrote:If your Tommy Thompson you think the PDC should be paying a premium for the honour of having BDO members compete !
Tommy Thompson wrote:I don’t think the Grand Slam of Darts does the BDO any favours at all, yes it does the 8 selected players a favour, as they get a payday, but what do the BDO gain as a company, the PDC need the event as a different type than they already stage, most of their events are much of a muchness apart from UK Open, same players, similar format, just different venues, the Grand Slam is unique and the BDO gain nothing financially from sanctioning it officially, they as a company do not get a cut of the profits, or share of the TV income.
It started off as a joint venture; it has been whittled down 8 players from the equal numbers originally. If the PDC want to invite any 8 players from anywhere, they can, including Ladies, in fact they could offer Lisa a spot even now if they choose, perhaps their criteria at this late stage is set in stone, and make this scenario impossible.
Perhaps if the BDO want to continue to give away their players as a freebee to the Grand Slam, now is the time to re-write or even write into the rules that the Ladies World Champion will be one of the 8
He has truly lost the plot. First he didnt remember the Pole won the Masters last year, and now this.

If the BDO want a cut of the profits they can also source a cut of the prize fund as well. Seems fair.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Ginge wrote:

If the BDO want a cut of the profits they can also source a cut of the prize fund as well. Seems fair.
Surely they did back when it started out as a 'joint venture' must of been when the Bdo brought ITV in as well to help the PDC get it televised :)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Bloody hell, just re-read it. Where is he getting this "joint venture" and "equal number" bollox from?!?!?!

I assume someone has put him right....again?
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Yeah me
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

His dementia is clearly getting worse.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Yeah it was a joint venture with the BDO who then decided to move The World Masters to clash with it :grin:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

DavidB wrote:Yeah it was a joint venture with the BDO who then decided to move The World Masters to clash with it :grin:
:D

Was never a joint venture. It was a cunning plan by Uncle Barry to have a UK based TV tourney with players from both sides of the divide that had been previously very popular in Europe with the original WDF WDT and the International Darts League.

The BDO players had been arsey about increased PDC numbers and reduced BDO numbers in the IDL and had caused friction in 2007. Bazza just wanted his own cross-code event where he could pick the numbers from either side.

Joint venture, my arse.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:Bloody hell, just re-read it. Where is he getting this "joint venture" and "equal number" bollox from?!?!?!

I think he's confusing it with the IDL where it was agreed 16 and 16.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:Bloody hell, just re-read it. Where is he getting this "joint venture" and "equal number" bollox from?!?!?!

I think he's confusing it with the IDL where it was agreed 16 and 16.
Erm....... 28 and 28 after the dispute IIRC.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

And that was never a "joint venture" either; it was run by an independent Dutch promoter.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
DavidB wrote:Yeah it was a joint venture with the BDO who then decided to move The World Masters to clash with it :grin:

Was never a joint venture. It was a cunning plan by Uncle Barry to have a UK based TV tourney with players from both sides of the divide that had been previously very popular in Europe with the original WDF WDT and the International Darts League.

The BDO players had been arsey about increased PDC numbers and reduced BDO numbers in the IDL and had caused friction in 2007. Bazza just wanted his own cross-code event where he could pick the numbers from either side.

Joint venture, my arse.

Dear me David, you missed the sarcasm in my post! :grin:
billyd
Pub Champion

Post by billyd »

Ginge wrote:
el_ringo wrote:If your Tommy Thompson you think the PDC should be paying a premium for the honour of having BDO members compete !
Tommy Thompson wrote:I don’t think the Grand Slam of Darts does the BDO any favours at all, yes it does the 8 selected players a favour, as they get a payday, but what do the BDO gain as a company, the PDC need the event as a different type than they already stage, most of their events are much of a muchness apart from UK Open, same players, similar format, just different venues, the Grand Slam is unique and the BDO gain nothing financially from sanctioning it officially, they as a company do not get a cut of the profits, or share of the TV income.
It started off as a joint venture; it has been whittled down 8 players from the equal numbers originally. If the PDC want to invite any 8 players from anywhere, they can, including Ladies, in fact they could offer Lisa a spot even now if they choose, perhaps their criteria at this late stage is set in stone, and make this scenario impossible.
Perhaps if the BDO want to continue to give away their players as a freebee to the Grand Slam, now is the time to re-write or even write into the rules that the Ladies World Champion will be one of the 8
He has truly lost the plot. First he didnt remember the Pole won the Masters last year, and now this.

If Tommy Thompson cant see that the BDO actually gain free promotion out of this event, as well as a payday for their top players, then he is well and truly a cretin of the highest order. He would wet himself at the opportunity if it was EDO players.

Plus why is everyone moaning at the PDC that Lisa isn't selected? They have given the BDO the choice to select their own representatives!!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote:And that was never a "joint venture" either; it was run by an independent Dutch promoter.
Yes. The BDO got terribly in 2007 when Topic wanted to go to 20 PDC and 12 BDO despite the BDO having a deal with the previous sponsor/owner to have 28 players involved.

So they settled for 28 and 28 with 24 players eliminated in a prelim series of groups to whittle it down to 32 for the main group stages.
Last edited by Deleted User on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

DavidB wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:

Joint venture, my arse.

Dear me David, you missed the sarcasm in my post! :grin:
No, I didn't - see the smiley? Just stuck some flesh on the bones, I just remember those last IDL and WDT comps clearly as I loved the mixed events. PDC announced they would even be PDC ranked events for a few years, then Hearn changed his mind after the 2007 events - pulled the PDC players out and the events went tits-up.
teddybreak
The Ton Club

Post by teddybreak »

devosteve wrote:They do add something. They add interest to the event
Seconded.

For me they add much more than perpetual winners of qualifying events like West, Wattimena or Lennon or players hovering in the rankings like Clayton or Huybrechts who will do nothing in front of the camera's and who we see in the other majors/Euro Tours around the year.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

teddybreak wrote:
devosteve wrote:They do add something. They add interest to the event
Seconded.

For me they add much more than perpetual winners of qualifying events like West, Wattimena or Lennon or players hovering in the rankings like Clayton or Huybrechts who will do nothing in front of the camera's and who we see in the other majors/Euro Tours around the year.
The same Jonny Clayton who did nothing when winning the Austrian Darts Open this year?
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Can someone give Steve some attention, please?
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Black Velvet wrote:Can someone give Steve some attention, please?
Oh christ. Banned from D.F. and straight back on here to stink the place right up again. :banghead:
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Didn't take very long for RD to start the chase.

Nice catch, Darty!
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Ginge wrote:

Agree with Ginge. TT making both ridiculous, and inaccurate statements, and clearly has completely lost the plot.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner