Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote:How can this be? Pieter and Paddy told us quite clearly that it was a done deal.

Paddy needs to go and tell Deta to stop worrying her head and tell her its at Lakeside.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Ginge wrote:
Paddy needs to go and tell Deta to stop worrying her head and tell her its at Lakeside.
I wonder how many BDO sycophants still believe the Schick about international businessman multimillionaire Des Jackchin that was trotted out ad nauseam by certain persons prior to his usurping of the Chairmanship
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Channel 4 currently showing rugby union. In all likelihood it's the reason they dumped Lakeside given there would have been a clash in January.

BDO Fanatics have probably sent hate mail to the tournament organisers....
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote:Channel 4 currently showing rugby union. In all likelihood it's the reason they dumped Lakeside given there would have been a clash in January.

I hear what you’re saying but couldn’t the darts have been put on More4 or Film4 or even E4?? I remember cricket being shifted to these channels when they showed it, albeit that’s not since 2005! Or was it the cost or something else??
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote:
Ginge wrote:Channel 4 currently showing rugby union. In all likelihood it's the reason they dumped Lakeside given there would have been a clash in January.

I hear what you’re saying but couldn’t the darts have been put on More4 or Film4 or even E4?? I remember cricket being shifted to these channels when they showed it, albeit that’s not since 2005! Or was it the cost or something else??
Barring the Paralympics they haven't shown sport on those spillover channels for a few years now, I believe. Last time I can recall was when Channel 4 showed NFL live from Wembley and the final hour got shunted to More4, that may have been 2015.

Just easier to dump the darts totally I guess, much less profile than the rugby competition they are now showing over multiple weekends. Would assume it costs more as well.

Also can't imagine the BDO would have wanted to play second fiddle and be shunted around the channels. Beggars can't be choosers though.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

To be fair if there was a deal where it’s on E4 & More 4 with the final on C4 then that’s not bad a deal and Bette then stream
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:To be fair if there was a deal where it’s on E4 & More 4 with the final on C4 then that’s not bad a deal and Bette then stream
Not going to be any cheaper for the TV company who still has to pay out the same money to stage it...

Like I said just easier for them to dump it now they have rugby. They haven't had any clashes with 2 different sports since they lost the cricket and that was ages ago.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Reading the match report on the BBC website it sounds like they had a cracker for their first game as well.
Big Jock Knew
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

The rugby is only on C4 as the sponsors of the tournament wanted some free coverage as all the pay games were moved to BT. C4 aren’t paying for the productions costs. Also it helps C4 that rugby union is seen as an upmarket sport so flash cars and wine adverts not the working class beer and betting companies of darts.

As I keep on saying if the BDO found a sponsor to produce and film the event, it was much more manageable so max 3 days and the TV company weren’t expected to hand over large pile of cash for the prize fund then they may have found TV coverage with someone.

What they are looking for is totally unrealistic. The players have to realise the prize funds of these BDO majors need to be cut to virtually zero until they find sponsorship and get in a paying crowd to watch.

Look at the PDC the global money machine of Premier League with arenas full of paying customers, global TV sales and sponsorship cover the costs of all the non televised stuff where the also ran tour card players make their money.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Never realised Channel 4 aren't paying production costs. Did they pay for the rights?
Big Jock Knew
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

malcy93 wrote:The rugby is only on C4 as the sponsors of the tournament wanted some free coverage as all the pay games were moved to BT. C4 aren’t paying for the productions costs. Also it helps C4 that rugby union is seen as an upmarket sport so flash cars and wine adverts not the working class beer and betting companies of darts.

As I keep on saying if the BDO found a sponsor to produce and film the event, it was much more manageable so max 3 days and the TV company weren’t expected to hand over large pile of cash for the prize fund then they may have found TV coverage with someone.

What they are looking for is totally unrealistic. The players have to realise the prize funds of these BDO majors need to be cut to virtually zero until they find sponsorship and get in a paying crowd to watch.

Look at the PDC the global money machine of Premier League with arenas full of paying customers, global TV sales and sponsorship cover the costs of all the non televised stuff where the also ran tour card players make their money.
C4 are having to organise some sort of production based on last comment here. http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... until-2022
Sally
Pub Champion

Post by Sally »

malcy93 wrote:
When the WDC formed, the players accepted a much reduced prize fund, just to “set the ball rolling”...

From Wikipedia....
2DA45B24-A4AB-4BD4-AB79-603B61BC0676.jpeg
2DA45B24-A4AB-4BD4-AB79-603B61BC0676.jpeg (142.58 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Sally
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Sally wrote:
malcy93 wrote:
When the WDC formed, the players accepted a much reduced prize fund, just to “set the ball rolling”...

From Wikipedia....
That may well be what they will get this year!
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

malcy93 wrote:The rugby is only on C4 as the sponsors of the tournament wanted some free coverage as all the pay games were moved to BT. C4 aren’t paying for the productions costs. Also it helps C4 that rugby union is seen as an upmarket sport so flash cars and wine adverts not the working class beer and betting companies of darts.

So what should the BDO look for?
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

nikkiboy wrote:
Sally wrote:
malcy93 wrote:

From Wikipedia....
That may well be what they will get this year!
I think given the money was the same as last year for the Masters then the Worlds will be the same as last year, After that then who knows but surely the BDO can't leave it until the last min then tell players that they have grafted all year to qualify for the worlds and will be playing for a pittance of a prize fund.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Bit of a difference between a £70k prize fund and a £330k one. It's over half their reserves. In any case will depends what Potter finally decides.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

I sense another prediction comp coming up :)
Sally
Pub Champion

Post by Sally »

ChrisW wrote:I sense another prediction comp coming up :)

What’s the prize?! :fishing
Sally
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Sally wrote:
ChrisW wrote:I sense another prediction comp coming up :)

What’s the prize?! :fishing
A quarter of dolly mixtures.
Sponsored by Ginge.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Eh?
Big Jock Knew