World Masters

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

World Masters

Post by The Jolly Man »

With Winmau announcing that they will no longer sponsor the event and the sad state of affairs in the BDO, lack of tv, no fixed venue and no growth in prize fund. Should the BDO look to the PDC in offering this event to them to protect its long history?
Ginge
International

Re: World Masters

Post by Ginge »

No.....

NEXT!!!!!
Big Jock Knew
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

No neccesarily, however i think it should be passed over to the WDF. Then let the WDF offer it up as a cross code event with X amount of PDC players allowed to enter it. This could give the event the boost it needs to attract sponsors/tv etc. Back to an open draw format as well and ideally best of 5 leg sets.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Why would the pdc be interested

They have their own “masters” tournament and they have their own champions of tournaments through the season tournament

The only way I can see anything happening is if the pdc decide to revamp the grand slam now the bdo is largely irrelevant but they don’t need to the bdo or the world masters to do that
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

If the Masters was scratched, I am sure hardly anyone will care.
It means nothing.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If they are struggling to get TV and sponsors I see no reason why the event couldn't continue like the Gold Cup does. Just get everyone in a room and play it over a day, a few grand to the winner, same trophy as per now awarded. Do the Lakeside qualifiers the day before or after.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

No it should be revamped and return back to it's roots of being the unofficial World Championships for County Players
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

BlueSpark wrote:If the Masters was scratched, I am sure hardly anyone will care.
It means nothing.

The actual trophy alone sure means something?? Has to be the best trophy in the game, no??
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

BlueSpark wrote:If the Masters was scratched, I am sure hardly anyone will care.
It means nothing.

not true.

Belgian jackie and the 7 other fans that attend bdo events might care.
The other 7 billion plus on the planet dont care though :DDD:
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The trophy can be as nice as it wants to be, The Gold Cup has an absolutely huge trophy awarded yet who outside of darts geeks on forums and county darts players will know about it?

A nice shiny trophy wont get a TV deal or a sponsor interested, sadly. If they are struggling maybe its time to scale the event back.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote:The trophy can be as nice as it wants to be, The Gold Cup has an absolutely huge trophy awarded yet who outside of darts geeks on forums and county darts players will know about it?

A nice shiny trophy wont get a TV deal or a sponsor interested, sadly. If they are struggling maybe its time to scale the event back.

Sure but you agree it’s a superb trophy with all that history engraved, a who’s who of darts?
Sally
Pub Champion

Post by Sally »

DavidB wrote:
It means nothing.

The actual trophy alone sure means something?? Has to be the best trophy in the game, no??

YES !
E92C4851-17C6-4614-8A4B-BF582C8EEED7.jpeg
E92C4851-17C6-4614-8A4B-BF582C8EEED7.jpeg (119.57 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Attachments
060B668E-10B3-4B3C-B929-1514D8A09A92.png
060B668E-10B3-4B3C-B929-1514D8A09A92.png (2.95 MiB) Viewed 1606 times
Last edited by Sally on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

DavidB wrote:
Ginge wrote:The trophy can be as nice as it wants to be, The Gold Cup has an absolutely huge trophy awarded yet who outside of darts geeks on forums and county darts players will know about it?

Sure but you agree it’s a superb trophy with all that history engraved, a who’s who of darts?

aye all those household names and superstars of the game like

colin monk
cliff Inglis
adam smith neale
Ratajski
Ronnie Davies
and the binman

A star studded list that
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote:

Of course but none of that is seemingly getting the event any wider attention, or even TV coverage in the case of this year. Been dying a slow death since the BBC dumped it.

"History" only gets you so far.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Sally wrote:
DavidB wrote:
It means nothing.

Great pictures Sally!!!
Sally
Pub Champion

Post by Sally »

DavidB wrote:
Sally wrote:
DavidB wrote:
It means nothing.

Great pictures Sally!!!
Just the 30 years between them, after and before!
Sally
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The only man to legitimately win it three times in a row, no less.

**starts stopwatch**
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:The only man to legitimately win it three times in a row, no less.

**starts stopwatch**
No arguments from me, Wolfie's was an achievement but pales against the open and unified field that was there when Bob did it.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Sally wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Great pictures Sally!!!
Just the 30 years between them, after and before!
They should really have let Bob keep that original trophy after his (now) inequable hatrick
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Since they seeded the top 16, it has totally devalued it to the point where hardly anyone bothers attending it.
Don't get me wrong, winning it from the first round is still a great achievement, whoever it is. Makes Bobs achievement all the more remarkable.
Wasn't it one of the games in the comp he weighed in a ridiculous amount of big finishes?
If it didn't continue then I am sure it wont be missed for long.