Darts Coaching or Lessons

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
deadlydiego
Steady Sixties

Darts Coaching or Lessons

Post by deadlydiego »

Does anyone offer any one-to-one coaching or lessons for Darts like they do with Golf?
ssjsa
International

Re: Darts Coaching or Lessons

Post by ssjsa »

I know both Wayne Mardle and Bob Anderson offer coaching.

Would suggest you pm forum member Sally who could let you know what the cost of lessons would be from Bob.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Coaching from someone who won countless major titles, or Wayne Mardle?

Hmm, a toughie that one.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

yes because all top football players become brilliant coaches & managers
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 am yes because all top football players become brilliant coaches & managers
Fair point, but darts is an individual game.
Big Jock Knew
deadlydiego
Steady Sixties

Post by deadlydiego »

I had a look at Mardle's site and its come back with £200 an hour! Seems very pricey and feels like its definitely the name that is driving that cost up. I presumed that there would be a similar sort of setup like golf and would be reasonably easy to find someone who does this sort of thing at a reasonable cost.
Dorsetdarter
Steady Sixties

Post by Dorsetdarter »

you could also try Paul Gillings, who is a sports scientist.

He runs Darts Performance Centre and offers training and advice both personally and online via courses on his site, which include various training routines. He used one of my old teams as guinea pigs a few years back over a number of weeks. He tackled stance, throwing technique, your darts and how to get the best out f them, video analysis of throw , psychology etc etc...worth a look.

Funny story, in the Video analysis he gave us all 6 darts, in which he would video record for analysis... I hit a 180 with my first three, his video chap says " and you want to improve?" lol (wish i could play as well now..pretty much retired)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

As said above Bob Anderson does it quite a bit - but is more expensive than Wayne !
I am local to Bob and play in the same Superleague and would very seriously consider having a lesson but its just a bit too much to justify unfortunately. Would also depends exactly what he did.
deadlydiego
Steady Sixties

Post by deadlydiego »

Skewball wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:41 pm As said above Bob Anderson does it quite a bit - but is more expensive than Wayne !
I am local to Bob and play in the same Superleague and would very seriously consider having a lesson but its just a bit too much to justify unfortunately. Would also depends exactly what he did.
Cheers Skewball

I completely agree, I am all for having lessons to try and improve but the cost of the lessons are quite substantial for the level of ability I currently am and without knowing anyone that has been through the same field, it is alot of money to justify spending.
deadlydiego
Steady Sixties

Post by deadlydiego »

Dorsetdarter wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 am you could also try Paul Gillings, who is a sports scientist.

He runs Darts Performance Centre and offers training and advice both personally and online via courses on his site, which include various training routines. He used one of my old teams as guinea pigs a few years back over a number of weeks. He tackled stance, throwing technique, your darts and how to get the best out f them, video analysis of throw , psychology etc etc...worth a look.

Funny story, in the Video analysis he gave us all 6 darts, in which he would video record for analysis... I hit a 180 with my first three, his video chap says " and you want to improve?" lol (wish i could play as well now..pretty much retired)
I will get in touch with them and see what comes of it, cheers for the tip off Dorsetdarter
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

deadlydiego wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am I had a look at Mardle's site and its come back with £200 an hour! Seems very pricey and feels like its definitely the name that is driving that cost up. I presumed that there would be a similar sort of setup like golf and would be reasonably easy to find someone who does this sort of thing at a reasonable cost.
I have in the past helped and coached a few players, I think that if you can find someone that is an experienced player and plays at a decent level who is willing to practice with you and help you work on the basics then with practice and effort you can vastly improve without paying out a small fortune for lessons.
Fat Apples
Feather Flights

Post by Fat Apples »

daveboygreen wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm
deadlydiego wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am I had a look at Mardle's site and its come back with £200 an hour! Seems very pricey and feels like its definitely the name that is driving that cost up. I presumed that there would be a similar sort of setup like golf and would be reasonably easy to find someone who does this sort of thing at a reasonable cost.
I have in the past helped and coached a few players, I think that if you can find someone that is an experienced player and plays at a decent level who is willing to practice with you and help you work on the basics then with practice and effort you can vastly improve without paying out a small fortune for lessons.

Are you an experienced player though? If not, how would you know you where giving the correct advice? There is a thing such as bad coaching. I think I read somewhere that Bob Anderson had achieved some coaching qualifications, Do you have any coaching qualifications?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Fat Apples wrote:

Are you an experienced player though? If not, how would you know you where giving the correct advice? There is a thing such as bad coaching. I think I read somewhere that Bob Anderson had achieved some coaching qualifications, Do you have any coaching qualifications?
Gets the popcorn out...
Fat Apples
Feather Flights

Post by Fat Apples »

Skewball wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:22 pm
Fat Apples wrote:

Gets the popcorn out...
Eh?
Fat Apples
Feather Flights

Post by Fat Apples »

E.g. WAyne Mardle had the worst drift into the 5 segment of any professional I have seen. The guy has won nothing at all and gave up and darts at a young age! What possible advice or coaching could he give anyone? Who would be daft enough to listen to him anyway.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Fat Apples wrote:E.g. WAyne Mardle had the worst drift into the 5 segment of any professional I have seen. The guy has won nothing at all and gave up and darts at a young age! What possible advice or coaching could he give anyone? Who would be daft enough to listen to him anyway.
There are literally hundreds of famouse coaches in many sports who were not necessarily the best players.
Fat Apples
Feather Flights

Post by Fat Apples »

Skewball wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:46 pm
Fat Apples wrote:E.g. WAyne Mardle had the worst drift into the 5 segment of any professional I have seen. The guy has won nothing at all and gave up and darts at a young age! What possible advice or coaching could he give anyone? Who would be daft enough to listen to him anyway.
There are literally hundreds of famouse coaches in many sports who were not necessarily the best players.
Yes but they are "proven" coaches and have the necessary coaching badges and accreditation. Not some tom, dick or Walter Mitty just spouting rubbish after a skinful in the pub.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Fat Apples wrote:
Skewball wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:46 pm
Yes but they are "proven" coaches and have the necessary coaching badges and accreditation. Not some tom, dick or Walter Mitty just spouting rubbish after a skinful in the pub.
Yes but that's a bit harsh on Mardle!
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

Fat Apples wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Well 25 years playing darts I would like to think that I am, No I do not have any coaching qualifications and taking advice from anyone is either going to work or not work but given what I have been through and had to learn how to throw darts all over again following 18 months without the use of my hand and during that period teaching myself to throw with my other hand I had to put a lot of time into working on and understanding the basics of throwing, grip, stance, balance etc.

Players I have helped and coached I have mostly worked with them on their throw with getting their balance, release, stance etc right and comfortable for them and pretty much the rest I left up to them but would offer to practice with them to see how they were coming along and to refresh them on what we had spent time working on, imo that was the best way to help other players that wanted to work on their game or were struggling with their game, Never had any complaints or been slagged off for my efforts and can honestly say that those I have helped in the past have listened and learnt and carried on working on what they picked up from me so from a coaching point of view that to me is what it is all about.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

So DBG

Having read thru the nitty gritty it's safe to assume all these cash 'racers' you have won were really you having a chuck with someone who had just started out playing who may at some time have bought you a 'wet' whilst the throw up was in progress ?