Glen Durrant reveals seven year plan as he prepares for BDO Lakeside defence

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Glen Durrant reveals seven year plan as he prepares for BDO Lakeside defence

Post by MancheStar »

Duzza is targeting a third world title on the bounce - and will then look to make the move to the PDC.

Glen Durrant has revealed he has a seven year darts plan - and it starts at Lakeside next week as he bids to become a three-time BDO world champion.

Then, the Teessider will head for Q-School and try and secure his spot on the PDC tour next year.

Durrant admits Q-School is at the forefront of his thoughts but that doesn't mean he's not focused on Frimley Green as he bids to write his name in the BDO record books and become the first player to win three Lakeside world crowns on the bounce since Eric Bristow in 1984, 85 and 86.

His game is in a brilliant place.

Durrant was in sparkling form as he won the Finders Masters last month and admits he walked away from that competition telling himself: "I'm ready now."

As the bookies' favourite and defending champion, Duzza acknowledges he's under pressure but has learnt to cope with that glare and expectation.

"That Lakeside stage is unique, it can make or break players but I know I'm a winner on that stage," he tells Teesside Live.

"That can be worth a set before you start.

"Someone gave me a stat a couple of weeks ago, if I'd have won the Masters when I was in front, I would have held the four majors - the World Darts Trophy, the World Championship, the World Masters and the Finders Masters.

"I'm sure the players see me as the one to beat, the bookies see me as the one to beat. Obviously there's pressure but I have been number one for the last four or five years now and won multiple tournaments so I feel like I can handle that pressure.

"It's just a very unique tournament and a very unique crowd. I feel good on that stage, I feel like the crowd are on my side a lot more now. It was all about Wolfy Adams and others in the past but I'm a champion there now and I see people with my shirt on.

"I'm sure people will look at me as the hot favourite but I just get on and do my own thing."

The aforementioned World Masters defeat came back in October when Durrant was stunned by Adam Smith-Neale.

Should Smith Neale beat Mark McGrath in the preliminary round at Lakeside, Durrant will be presented with the opportunity to strike revenge in his opener on Wednesday evening.

But Smith-Neale is unlikely to be at his best after breaking his leg in three places just over a month ago. Remarkably, he's managed to recover in time to toe the oche at Lakeside.

"I would rather play Smith-Neale," Durrant admits.

"You cannot break your leg in so many places on his weight bearing leg, I'll be truly amazed if he's 100% so mentally I'm working on the thought I'll be playing Mark McGrath, who is a world series winner over Michael Smith.

"He qualified for Lakeside during the dreaded qualifying rounds last year. I've been watching him on YouTube so I've done my homework and mentally I'd be amazed if Adam can come through.

"If he beats Mark then absolutely fair play to him. He genuinely broke my heart this year because I wanted to be three time World Masters champion, he just had one of those weeks. I'd love to get my revenge for that."

Durrant is one of a number of BDO players who'll give PDC Q-School a crack this year, with new rules ensuring those who reach the last four at Lakeside won't have to hand back their world championship winnings if they wish to switch codes.

"Q-School is at the forefront of my mind," he admits.

"I'm extremely disappointed to hear there's going to be potentially 800 to 1000 players playing for 12 or 13 places.

"I was hoping Q-School would be £1,000 to £2,000 entry to get rid of all those players. It really is the Willy Wonka golden ticket now.

"There's millions of pounds to be played for in the PDC. There's already managers and potential sponsorship if I get my place.

"It's absolutely at the forefront of my thoughts. I'm preparing to try and win Lakeside and be ready three days after the final, because the past two years my body has shut down after Lakeside and I've needed a couple of weeks off.

"I love the BDO and to be a three time champion would be incredible but I've got a seven year plan of darts left and those seven years I would love to be playing against the best in the PDC, that's for sure."
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Re: Glen Durrant reveals seven year plan as he prepares for BDO Lakeside defence

Post by Astonvilla »

He will change his mind again next week and become " BDO for life " .

Anything for a bit of publicity.
Skewball
International

Re: Glen Durrant reveals seven year plan as he prepares for BDO Lakeside defence

Post by Skewball »

So how many places are they playing for? Roughly?

And Oche has a lot to answer for with this 850 entries nonsense !!
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Skewball wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 pm So how many places are they playing for? Roughly?

If there are 500 entrants at uk will be split 20 uk 10 euro

But i can’t remember if they split the 30 cards as pro rata or the 18 that will not go to the daily winners. So as an example of 250 enter uk you might expect the split 15 each. But would the pdc then say uk 8+9 and euro 4+9
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote:So how many places are they playing for? Roughly?

Even managed to fool Glen Durrant and a regional newspaper with it ffs.
Big Jock Knew
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

You would think a regional newspaper would have more sense wouldnt you.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

"Q-School for Life"
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Might be worth punting on him going out first round.

Sounds like his main priority is qschool and he’s said plenty of times in the past his biggest worry is spending 8 days at lakeside and then having only a few days to get ready for qschool and being underprepared

Can easily over think everything and find him going home today or (and I’m not suggesting it before someone on fanatics has a heart attack) he could just be saying fuck it to this week so he can get back home and prepare
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

He doesn't play today.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:32 am He doesn't play today.
Or tomorrow. Or Monday. :D
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 am Might be worth punting on him going out first round.

Sounds like his main priority is qschool and he’s said plenty of times in the past his biggest worry is spending 8 days at lakeside and then having only a few days to get ready for qschool and being underprepared

Can easily over think everything and find him going home today or (and I’m not suggesting it before someone on fanatics has a heart attack) he could just be saying fek it to this week so he can get back home and prepare
He will be at home today feet up watching no doubt.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ask and ye shall receive
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

The Jolly Man wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 pm
Skewball wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 pm So how many places are they playing for? Roughly?

If there are 500 entrants at uk will be split 20 uk 10 euro

But i can’t remember if they split the 30 cards as pro rata or the 18 that will not go to the daily winners. So as an example of 250 enter uk you might expect the split 15 each. But would the pdc then say uk 8+9 and euro 4+9

30 cards have been quoted, 8 UK and 4 Euro are already guaranteed, so that leaves 18 to be split pro rata , if it’s 250 each school then it’ll be 9-9 , 500-250 should be around 12-6, 750-250 14-4 or 13-5 depending which side of the line they want to put the cut off.
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Nice fireplace.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

David!
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Only an idiot puts the +c in a range integral.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

My engineering maths class just came flooding back to me and I nearly had a heart attack
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

BlueSpark wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am Nice fireplace.
there is some serious chavy bling going on there
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:11 am
BlueSpark wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am Nice fireplace.
there is some serious chavy bling going on there
Probably has a sticker on the opposite wall that says "Live, Laugh, Love".....
Big Jock Knew