2019 Q-School

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: 2019 Q-School

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am Aye he played in 16 with one last 16 being his best result he is completely finished when it comes to competing in professional darts. If he wants to carry on with the BDO tour then fair enough to him I imagine he can get a decent amount of exbo work too.

I really struggle to see why any British based top end BDO player wouldn’t give q school a try this year. If you fail you can still do BDO and Lakey plus make a bit of money via challenge tour. If you succeed then you should be set to make a decent amount from the PDC tour plus get to find out how good you really are.
Durrant said in his interview no one has said they are not going to do Q School. Most have already confirmed. He even hinted Mitchell is going as well.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

There's going to be a lot leaving Q school with no card if they all do go.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I'll believe he (and others) are off to Q school once I see their name in the first draw a week on Thursday. Still think some will pull the "woe is me, I'm mentally shot after Lakeside" or the "I'm still scared they will cancel my cheque" routine.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote:I'll believe he (and others) are off to Q school once I see their name in the first draw a week on Thursday. Still think some will pull the "woe is me, I'm mentally shot after Lakeside" or the "I'm still scared they will cancel my cheque" routine.
Not this time. I think it's all genuine.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Skewball wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm
Ginge wrote:I'll believe he (and others) are off to Q school once I see their name in the first draw a week on Thursday. Still think some will pull the "woe is me, I'm mentally shot after Lakeside" or the "I'm still scared they will cancel my cheque" routine.
Not this time. I think it's all genuine.
I agree.

I don't think the BDO will withhold money. I think the strategy has shifted to being more open so they can ride on the PDC's coattails.

The PDC has 30 floor events that each pay out more than everything in the BDO except Lakeside.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:29 pm There's going to be a lot leaving Q school with no card if they all do go.
If they do all go then the challenge tour will have some good fields next year
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

O'Shea confirmed in commentary he is going...also said he's got the Dutch Open so I don't think he expects to get a card ! ...for players good enough to get to Lakeside or players capable of a resonably decent level it would be mad not to go...for a lot of other players it's still a big outlay with no chance of getting a card and no chance of really earning anything on the Challenge tour..
TheSportsDean
Pub Champion

Post by TheSportsDean »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 am
hotspur wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 pm With the relaxation of the rules on where players can play, should we now see the PDC & BDO work together and acknowledge BDO rankings as auto tour card qualification (by PDC) and Challenge Tour as auto Lakeside qualification (by BDO), not counting current qualification for PDC Worlds? Again, this would work to reward long term consistency over 3-4 good days.
Where to start with this?

Why on earth would the PDC hand out free tour cards to people who potentially have never played a PDC event.

The barriers are down. Earn your card through the same channels and pay the same entries as anybody else.

"We removed the barriers, can we have some free stuff?"

Likewise, imagine travelling all over on the BDO circuit and missing out on Lakeside to a Challenge Tour player.

Qualify through the normal channels, PDC to PDC, BDO to BDO.
The idea is about working together and providing a path to the elite level, the PDC, through a tiered system. BDO & Challenge Tour would then be equivalent of lower leagues compared to PDC being the elite level. Current tournaments continue, and there are two different ways into more tournaments. Oh well. Stick how it is!
I use Twitter, occasionally.... https://twitter.com/TheSportsDean

I also blog occasionally... http://thesportsdean.blogspot.co.uk/
County Player

Post by 1205 »

hotspur wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pmThe idea is about working together and providing a path to the elite level, the PDC, through a tiered system. BDO & Challenge Tour would then be equivalent of lower leagues compared to PDC being the elite level. Current tournaments continue, and there are two different ways into more tournaments. Oh well. Stick how it is!
Hearn has made it clear: drop Professional from the BDO World Championships name and the PDC will work with the BDO.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

el_ringo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 pm
ChrisW wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:29 pm There's going to be a lot leaving Q school with no card if they all do go.
If they do all go then the challenge tour will have some good fields next year
Maybe some would stick around, but I don't see too many of them slumming it out in the Challenge Tour. If it's taken until the restrictions being lifted for them to bother with Q-School, then clearly they're not willing to leave the BDO at all costs. I don't see them bothering with a tour that pays roughly similar to BDO events just for the chance to maybe make up the numbers at ProTour events. Besides, there are 12 Players Championship events before the second Challenge Tour weekend, if those players don't hit the ground running on the first weekend, that's nearly half of the floor season they'd be missing
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

1205 wrote:
hotspur wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pmThe idea is about working together and providing a path to the elite level, the PDC, through a tiered system. BDO & Challenge Tour would then be equivalent of lower leagues compared to PDC being the elite level. Current tournaments continue, and there are two different ways into more tournaments. Oh well. Stick how it is!
Hearn has made it clear: drop Professional from the BDO World Championships name and the PDC will work with the BDO.
If the 4 semi finalists get through qschool Barry won’t mention that again

If he manages to take something like duzza waites Unterbuchner and Williams the bdo is going to be massively effected. Add a few ladies and the whispers about ladies making a choice from next year and ladies tournaments Barry won’t care about the bdo again because it won’t be relevant
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

hotspur wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 am
hotspur wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 pm With the relaxation of the rules on where players can play, should we now see the PDC & BDO work together and acknowledge BDO rankings as auto tour card qualification (by PDC) and Challenge Tour as auto Lakeside qualification (by BDO), not counting current qualification for PDC Worlds? Again, this would work to reward long term consistency over 3-4 good days.
Where to start with this?

Why on earth would the PDC hand out free tour cards to people who potentially have never played a PDC event.

The barriers are down. Earn your card through the same channels and pay the same entries as anybody else.

"We removed the barriers, can we have some free stuff?"

Likewise, imagine travelling all over on the BDO circuit and missing out on Lakeside to a Challenge Tour player.

Qualify through the normal channels, PDC to PDC, BDO to BDO.
The idea is about working together and providing a path to the elite level, the PDC, through a tiered system. BDO & Challenge Tour would then be equivalent of lower leagues compared to PDC being the elite level. Current tournaments continue, and there are two different ways into more tournaments. Oh well. Stick how it is!
By the way, good to have you back on here Hotspur, always nice to see original members still posting :)
Duneh9617
Steady Sixties

Post by Duneh9617 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 am
1205 wrote:

If he manages to take something like duzza waites Unterbuchner and Williams the bdo is going to be massively effected. Add a few ladies and the whispers about ladies making a choice from next year and ladies tournaments Barry won’t care about the bdo again because it won’t be relevant
Don't think this is true. Barry has repeatedly stated that the pdc as an organizer lacks the time and staff to concern itself with the global amateur game, and that they see an important role for the bdo in that aspect. Don't think Barry would want it any other way than that, he just wants full control of the professional game, which he has now. I think he would be happy to work with the bdo as a partner, when they officially operate at the amateur level of the game
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

trotter wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:14 pm O'Shea confirmed in commentary he is going...also said he's got the Dutch Open so I don't think he expects to get a card ! ...for players good enough to get to Lakeside or players capable of a resonably decent level it would be mad not to go...for a lot of other players it's still a big outlay with no chance of getting a card and no chance of really earning anything on the Challenge tour..
He won’t be there all days IF he goes as he has demo at the O2 on the Saturday night.
JFT97
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Duneh9617 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am
1205 wrote:

Don't think this is true. Barry has repeatedly stated that the pdc as an organizer lacks the time and staff to concern itself with the global amateur game, and that they see an important role for the bdo in that aspect. Don't think Barry would want it any other way than that, he just wants full control of the professional game, which he has now. I think he would be happy to work with the bdo as a partner, when they officially operate at the amateur level of the game
heres a curve ball, the pdc the p stands for professional but all players arnt professional so like the bdo they are not wholly professional, of course the backroom staff at pdc towers ,head of admin, head of media, commercial manager are professionals on salaried jobs probably, is that what the professional stands for cos certainly a lot of players are not, so like the bdo dropping there professional title surely the pdc should do the same, yes they have better players but most tourneys they run are not full of wholly professional players some are but most are not thats all from pedantic corner off to lakeside
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

only85 wrote:
1205 wrote:

heres a curve ball, the pdc the p stands for professional but all players arnt professional so like the bdo they are not wholly professional, of course the backroom staff at pdc towers ,head of admin, head of media, commercial manager are professionals on salaried jobs probably, is that what the professional stands for cos certainly a lot of players are not, so like the bdo dropping there professional title surely the pdc should do the same, yes they have better players but most tourneys they run are not full of wholly professional players some are but most are not thats all from pedantic corner off to lakeside
I did think the other day that if anything ever happens to the split in darts in the near future Barry may change the name to world darts or something along the lines of his other sports

We all know professional is only in the name because of the bdo
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am
only85 wrote:
1205 wrote:

I did think the other day that if anything ever happens to the split in darts in the near future Barry may change the name to world darts or something along the lines of his other sports

We all know professional is only in the name because of the bdo
im glad im not the only one seeing the irony of what barry says & wants thanks for confirming this
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

And here I was thinking once Ian left we could have normal debates here
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

only85 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am heres a curve ball, the pdc the p stands for professional but all players arnt professional so like the bdo they are not wholly professional, of course the backroom staff at pdc towers ,head of admin, head of media, commercial manager are professionals on salaried jobs probably, is that what the professional stands for cos certainly a lot of players are not, so like the bdo dropping there professional title surely the pdc should do the same, yes they have better players but most tourneys they run are not full of wholly professional players some are but most are not thats all from pedantic corner off to lakeside
only85 resurrecting one of ifm's favourite straw men, there.

edit: Zapp beat me to it.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

It's not the P that should be the sticking point it the C.
It's an English company so it should be really.
PDLtd.