2019 Q-School

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Re: 2019 Q-School

Post by SolidSCB »

Purely hypothetical of course, but like I say it would be deciding whats fair.

Not suggesting they should rule out someone who's had a bad day or crapped themselves on their first go. But if they are averaging 49 consistently over the course of a certain number of events entered/legs played etc, then that's where in this hypothetical vetting system you'd look at drawing a line.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

nikkiboy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm
SolidSCB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 pm To be honest, with dartconnect you have a prime piece of software for any vetting. It is literally there to collect and collate data.

It's just a case of what's fair really. Is it fair to say no to some bloke who keeps turning up and barely scraping a 50 average on a consistent basis?
So a youngster enters and hits a 49 average this year - will he be the same next year?
No, he’s have a year out to try the dev tour. That’s why it’s there
Last edited by Dicie on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Going back to what I mentioned earlier in the thread, how about splitting up Q School into a preliminary stage and finals stage:

Prelim: 4 days in December for all players for £250. No automatic qualifiers; most consistent (at least) 50 players qualify for Q School finals.

Finals: 4 days a week after Lakeside. Includes all relegated players (around 30), those in the top 24 in the Challenge Tour, top 8 in the development tour, international invitations, those qualified for Lakeside plus qualifiers making up to 128 in the school. No automatic qualifiers; most consistent players gain a tour card.

In addition, there needs to be additional international means of qualifying (women’s world champion, more players from CT/DT, international/regional invites etc.)
Tommy T-Rex
The Ton Club

Post by Tommy T-Rex »

Circus School serves no purposes whatsoever except to line Hearns pocket. It is completely unnecessary. Why have a Challenge tour order of merit if you are not going to use it, I'll tell you why, because it's all about £ notes with Hearn and we must never forget that!

The top 64 keep their cards, those outside the top 64 after 2 years lose their cards, say 32 players for example, then the top 96 from the Q school OOM make a 128 Prooer Q school. Job done! There are 5 challenge tour weekends a year equalling 20 tournaments, they should be open to anyone, do well on the CTOOM and you are into a proper Q school, it's as simple as that!
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

Tommy T-Rex wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am
fling wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 am I think it is quite admirable that he entered Q School because he can.
If I had the money then I would do exactly the same thing.
Then you would be just as big a fool as well. Why not just set up a standing order to Barry Hearn or buy him a new Saville Row suit?
And you know what they say about fools and their money. (Unfortunately I don't have that money to spare).
I doubt my proportion of entry fee that goes to Uncle Barry as a dividend would be enough to buy him a tie let alone a suit.
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

It's probably never going to happen, just seems like it might seperate the wheat from the chaff.

- All first-time (maybe even 2nd if we're feeling generous) entries granted access to Q-School

- So you fail at Q-School and move on to the challenge tour, with dartconnect we can gather data and determine an (average/legs won/matches won etc) appropriate cutoff point (with a minimum amount of weekends played so someone doesn't get in off the back of 1 or 2 games) to greenlight players access to the next Q-School.

- If a player fails to meet the criteria, instead of being frozen out give an option of paying in to be entered into the next season's Challenge Tour events to try and meet the cutoff point again

Purely pie in the sky. But I'd have it at something like that in an ideal world.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

You lot are just proving why it would be so hard to happen, god knows how the criteria and policing would work! It would cause loads more grief and bad PR vs letting a few chancers in if they have the money!

Hammer to crack a nut.

change is not needed, the 4 days went fine.
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Like I say, just a hypothetical.

From a personal standpoint I couldn't care less if they are let in or not, doesn't affect my life in the slightest. Just always baffles me that anyone would want to do it.
gheds1982
Feather Flights

Post by gheds1982 »

They could try a performance deposit. This would be similar to when people run for Parliament. Losing a deposit would definitely put people off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Post by PVDarts501 »

Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

I might go myself next year. Im sure i could set a new record low for QS.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

PVDarts501 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm Image
He’s not the most reliable of sources.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Dicie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:05 pm
Nor does it make any sense, the pro tour is free now so its not like you have to find money once you sign up.

I think hes trying to suggest that someone wanted to go back to lakeside next year or do the full BDO tour and the only person I can see that being is McGeeney (signed up for Dutch, is sponsored by people in the BDO, signed up for exhibitions with BDO lot) but surely he knew all this before going.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

gheds1982 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:50 pm They could try a performance deposit. This would be similar to when people run for Parliament. Losing a deposit would definitely put people off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:26 pm
Nor does it make any sense, the pro tour is free now so its not like you have to find money once you sign up.

I think hes trying to suggest that someone wanted to go back to lakeside next year or do the full BDO tour and the only person I can see that being is McGeeney (signed up for Dutch, is sponsored by people in the BDO, signed up for exhibitions with BDO lot) but surely he knew all this before going.
Mark signing for both Unicorn and Dunvegan would suggest that his intentions were always to play the PDC in 2019. Dont know who the tweet is referring to, but definitely not McGeeney.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

It wont be a big name. It could only be someone who didnt expect to get a tour card and now thinks he is out of his depth.
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

ssjsa wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Mark signing for both Unicorn and Dunvegan would suggest that his intentions were always to play the PDC in 2019. Dont know who the tweet is referring to, but definitely not McGeeney.
Whitcombe being Kent based (I think) - the logical shout would be Conan Whitehead wouldn't it?
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

The dartsnews interview he gave suggests thats unlikely though.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

McGeeney announced his intention to switch even before the announcement, I'd be flabbergasted if it's him. If it's a Kent man you're after, maybe Kirk Shepherd, he's been mentioned across the road. But then again I think it's far more likely that it's a load of bollocks
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Post by PVDarts501 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:00 pm

McGeeney announced his intention to switch even before the announcement, I'd be flabbergasted if it's him. If it's a Kent man you're after, maybe Kirk Shepherd, he's been mentioned across the road. But then again I think it's far more likely that it's a load of bollocks

"This is the hardest thing I've ever done in darts, I'm so relieved to have won my Tour Card back," said Shepherd.

"I think I've been a bit of a nightmare to live with for the past few weeks because I've been so determined to do this, but now it's all worthwhile.

"The standard is so high now, I don't think I averaged below 90 in many games which is the standard you have to be at to compete, so I'm pleased with how I played."

Said this on PDC website, so I dont think its Shepherd.