Will Barney qualify for this years Matchplay?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Yes
11%
No
63%
Not remotely bothered either way
26%

Total votes: 27

MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Personally I don’t he will qualify for the matchplay although I reckon he’ll make the worlds. In my opinion he should have retired after the last worlds.
ssjsa
International

Re: Will Barney qualify for this years Matchplay?

Post by ssjsa »

Think the fact he didn't enter PC3 and 4 shows that whilst he articulated he would do everything to qualify, in reality, playing in Blackpool is more of a pipe dream than an actual objective.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Long way to go 4-5 months till cut-off.
Needs about 30k?
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

ssjsa wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 am Think the fact he didn't enter PC3 and 4 shows that whilst he articulated he would do everything to qualify, in reality, playing in Blackpool is more of a pipe dream than an actual objective.
Yeah I couldn’t understand that, he needs to enter as many ranking events as possible. Can’t remember the last time he won a pro tour/euro tour event.
rubyred90
Feather Flights

Post by rubyred90 »

Barney is a busted flush. Every year he lies about playing more to get his PL invite then fucks off. Should have retired at worlds.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Yeah,I think he has played the PDC better this year than he's played anyone at actual darts for years!
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

If think he need to qualify for Euro tours have good run to make that event I think he will only make players champ finals just scrape in World pro unless he wrongly pick for World Cup again wins get into grand slam
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

As a tour card holder he gets the guaranteed space at UK Open but that is almost certainly it for ranked tournaments.

Only possibility is the Grand Slam but that relies on MvG picking him as 2nd player and then getting to finals of World Cup. Remember only the top ranked player in a country gets the ranking based invite. They can now pick whoever they like for the 2nd place. Even if MvG wanted someone else the PDC will almost certainly lean on him to choose Barnie.

The PDC will though invite him to World Series to make his farewell tour global plus he’s guaranteed a wildcard at least for the Finals given they’re in Netherlands this year.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Skewball wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 am Yeah,I think he has played the PDC better this year than he's played anyone at actual darts for years!
He announced his retirement to get into in the Premier League. The PDC knows full well, but doesn't care. Gary Anderson pulling out gave them the opportunity to add the Contenders so that there won't be any focus on van Barneveld, except perhaps in the Netherlands.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

There should be a who cares choice in the poll
County Player

Post by 1205 »

BlueSpark wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:48 pm There should be a who cares choice in the poll
That's <global population> - <Votes for Yes> - <Votes for No>.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

I voted option three whilst head shaking.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

foggs3355 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 pm If think he need to qualify for Euro tours have good run to make that event I think he will only make players champ finals just scrape in World pro unless he wrongly pick for World Cup again wins get into grand slam
Euro Tours you'd think are definitely more suited to him than a ProTour event, having the games spread out a bit more. I hope to see Barney on the floor and European Tour this year as I still think he has something to offer, but this isn't a good sign. He needs commitment to play the Matchplay/Grand Prix unless he does something spectacular before that (which I don't think will happen to be honest), but I think he's not that bothered about it, and all he wants to do is secure a place in that top 32. Not necessarily going to be plain sailing...
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

If he wants to qualify then he will make the effort, It will soon be seen if he does or not
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:53 am
foggs3355 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 pm If think he need to qualify for Euro tours have good run to make that event I think he will only make players champ finals just scrape in World pro unless he wrongly pick for World Cup again wins get into grand slam
Euro Tours you'd think are definitely more suited to him than a ProTour event, having the games spread out a bit more. I hope to see Barney on the floor and European Tour this year as I still think he has something to offer, but this isn't a good sign. He needs commitment to play the Matchplay/Grand Prix unless he does something spectacular before that (which I don't think will happen to be honest), but I think he's not that bothered about it, and all he wants to do is secure a place in that top 32. Not necessarily going to be plain sailing...
It doesn't matter how spread out they are if he loses his first game.