PDC UK Open - March 1st-3rd 2019 - Butlins Minehead

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Re: PDC UK Open - March 1st-3rd 2019 - Butlins Minehead

Post by daveboygreen »

el_ringo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm
daveboygreen wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:33 pm
With what Rileys make on entries and over the bar for each qualifier, Giving only £100 towards expenses is a farce, They probably take on average near a grand per qualifier on entries alone.
How much have Riley's made out of you Dave over the years with your entries for this ?
If I have a stab at it I only usually enter one of the qualifiers each year, So not as much as a lot of other players to answer your question.

The Midland Masters event Rileys had a couple of year ago was a farce as far as prize money went as well....I made the Semi Final and was handed £50, On the day I had probably spent £150 with travel, car parking, Food for me, other half and little un plus drinks all day and was there from 10.30am, What really took the piss was that each Rileys club paid £70 to the winner for each qualifier they held and then hand the semi finalists £50 each for the grand finals...Since then I have only set foot in a Rileys club twice and once was for a UK open qualifier.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

You are bottling it again
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

I’m not grasping why Riley’s should help with any costs for a player who qualifies for uk open, they are a business who presumably have an agreement with pdc to host the qualifying tournaments in there places, surely the player should have done the relevant maths ( on the off chance they win) before they enter instead of living the dream then wondering how they will fund a trip to minehead,
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

daveboygreen wrote:
masticman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am
thecat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am
masticman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am Was told at the weekend that a 4 birth chalet at minehead is £980 for the weekend. Most hotels in the area are fully booked & cheapest is £100 a night if u can get 1. Was gonna go to Sheffield & Liverpool qualifiers. But think I will pass on that.
Hotel not covered by the sponsor? I think that’s pretty poor. No one who comes through the qualifiers should be out of pocket IMO
Riley’s are giving £100 towards exp. which would just about cover the cost of diesel for me. Remember when it was at Bolton a mate of mine qualified when it was speedy hire. They paid hotel petrol the lot. For the whole weekend . I do think Riley’s should give you more.
With what Rileys make on entries and over the bar for each qualifier, Giving only £100 towards expenses is a farce, They probably take on average near a grand per qualifier on entries alone.
What has how much a local Riley’s makes in bar money got to do with how much Riley’s the company give a player in sponsorship?

Also the company is completely on their arse
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pm
daveboygreen wrote:
masticman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am Was told at the weekend that a 4 birth chalet at minehead is £980 for the weekend. Most hotels in the area are fully booked & cheapest is £100 a night if u can get 1. Was gonna go to Sheffield & Liverpool qualifiers. But think I will pass on that.
Hotel not covered by the sponsor? I think that’s pretty poor. No one who comes through the qualifiers should be out of pocket IMO
Riley’s are giving £100 towards exp. which would just about cover the cost of diesel for me. Remember when it was at Bolton a mate of mine qualified when it was speedy hire. They paid hotel petrol the lot. For the whole weekend . I do think Riley’s should give you more.
What has how much a local Riley’s makes in bar money got to do with how much Riley’s the company give a player in sponsorship?

Jesus christ Zippy....Each event they charge an entry fee as well as charge over the odds for drinks and also take on food throughout each day, They must take nearly a grand in entry fee's alone never mind bar profits at each qualifier yet only give the one qualifying player £100, The point is that the qualifying player deserves more given the costs they have in playing at Minehead and there is no reason why Rileys with how much they make on each qualifier shouldn't be offering more.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

daveboygreen wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:17 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pm
daveboygreen wrote:

Jesus christ Zippy....Each event they charge an entry fee as well as charge over the odds for drinks and also take on food throughout each day, They must take nearly a grand in entry fee's alone never mind bar profits at each qualifier yet only give the one qualifying player £100, The point is that the qualifying player deserves more given the costs they have in playing at Minehead and there is no reason why Rileys with how much they make on each qualifier shouldn't be offering more.
except that you are missing potentially the biggest cost of all - how much is Rileys paying the PDC for hosting the events. I very much doubt its zero, as we know the PDC doesnt miss opportunities to make money. So after paying that, and even with all the takings/fees, they might still make very little profit. The point is we don't know and so the £100 might in fact be very generous if we knew how much (if anything of course)they paid the PDC.
dartsyoungun
The Ton Club

Post by dartsyoungun »

simple solution - move the finals from Minehead to a more central location with more hotels, B+B's etc in the vicinity then costs would not be so high.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

dartsyoungun wrote:simple solution - move the finals from Minehead to a more central location with more hotels, B+B's etc in the vicinity then costs would not be so high.
Move the event for the sake of a handful of a few potential players moaning about the cost of a bed and breakfast, and wipe our the captive audience of thousands of people staying on site?

Aye, sounds a great idea that.
Big Jock Knew
dartsyoungun
The Ton Club

Post by dartsyoungun »

I think the event would attract thousands wherever it was. Pretty damn pointless having all these qualifiers if the people who win can't afford to play in the finals. Yes the argument is that they know the score when they enter so if that is the case then if the entrants start thinking twice about being massively out of pocket then the qualifiers are finished and the whole FA cup of darts concept goes out the window. Minehead is a long way for most.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

dartsyoungun wrote:I think the event would attract thousands wherever it was. Pretty damn pointless having all these qualifiers if the people who win can't afford to play in the finals. Yes the argument is that they know the score when they enter so if that is the case then if the entrants start thinking twice about being massively out of pocket then the qualifiers are finished and the whole FA cup of darts concept goes out the window. Minehead is a long way for most.
I think the fact that hundreds are entering each qualifiers tell you there isn’t much of an issue for the players
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

So will Ned Boulting qualify from London this weekend?? :grin:
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm
dartsyoungun wrote:I think the event would attract thousands wherever it was. Pretty damn pointless having all these qualifiers if the people who win can't afford to play in the finals. Yes the argument is that they know the score when they enter so if that is the case then if the entrants start thinking twice about being massively out of pocket then the qualifiers are finished and the whole FA cup of darts concept goes out the window. Minehead is a long way for most.
I think the fact that hundreds are entering each qualifiers tell you there isn’t much of an issue for the players
Hundreds entering each qualifier...Yet Rileys reward the winner of each one with less than £1 per entrant!!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 pm Just couldnt imagine MvG or Taylor staying in a chalet.
Maybe a campervan though......
Sally
Pub Champion

Post by Sally »

6D44992C-5838-4D24-9D56-3C21C366134B.jpeg
6D44992C-5838-4D24-9D56-3C21C366134B.jpeg (590.65 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Sally
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 pm Just couldnt imagine MvG or Taylor staying in a chalet.
Maybe a campervan though......
:WWWW:
mshaw2
Superleague Player

Post by mshaw2 »

masticman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:04 pm
mshaw2 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 pm
masticman wrote:Was told at the weekend that a 4 birth chalet at minehead is £980 for the weekend. Most hotels in the area are fully booked & cheapest is £100 a night if u can get 1. Was gonna go to Sheffield & Liverpool qualifiers. But think I will pass on that.
So about 80 quid a night each then. Hardly breaking the bank.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Which is fine if u have sorted out with pals to share. But say u qualifier from Liverpool in the 24th gives u a week to find 3 people who have got the money. Who can take time of work at short notice. Still gonna cost u best part of £500 for the weekend
Small cost when you're in with a shout to win £100,000 (?).
Bram_1900
County Player

Post by Bram_1900 »

Did Burnett enter any qualifier?
masticman
Superleague Player

Post by masticman »

Any one got any news on Victoria or Sheffield to day ?
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

masticman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 pm Any one got any news on Victoria or Sheffield to day ?
Yeah Sheffield was a nightmare they were just starting the Last 64 about half five , I was at the venue at 10 am , played round of 128 at 4.30 ish :DDD:

That’s my one attempt this year done , played ok lost to Anthony Speight 4-3 from being 3-1 up! Decent game , didn’t have a chance to win until leg 7 but missed tops .
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx