Welsh Open

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
County Player

Re: Welsh Open

Post by 1205 »

phil davies wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:24 pm
1205 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:21 pm
Demolition_fan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm She will be the best ladies player ever imo.
Just look at the current top 16 ffs.
In the Welsh Classic she beat Clements (19), Hedman (5), Winstanley (3) and Dobromyslova (6). She dropped 3 legs (4-1 SF, 5-2 F)
In the Welsh Open she beat Gallagher (10), Turner (7), Winstanley (3), Hedman (5) and Ashton (1). She dropped a leg to Roberts on her board, and then won 4-0, 4-0, 4-1, 4-2 and 5-3.
Didn't have a game go to the last leg all weekend.

BDO rolling Rankings at 13/5/2019 now have her in 25th at 180 points, 52 points behind Hammond in 14th.
If she can get her ranking up to 14th by the end of the year, she can make the ladies World Championships. But as a junior she can't enter the qualifiers.
What sort on an idiotic system is that where you can’t enter the qualifier but can qualify via the table.
I think that the idea in principle is that if they can't make it directly, they should stick to the juniors. It could leave Greaves in a position where she could end up trying to qualify for the World Youth, playing against the boys, many of whom are better than some of the women who make it to the Ladies championship.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

For some reason it doesn't sit right with me re kids qualifying for lakeside (boys or girls)..

good publicity or short term novelty publicity?

3 or 4 kids qualifying in a couple of years,: would that look good for the bdo? I don't think so.

The hype from bdo quarters speaks of desperation to me.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

devosteve wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 pm For some reason it doesn't sit right with me re kids qualifying for lakeside (boys or girls)..

3 or 4 kids qualifying in a couple of years,: would that look good for the bdo? I don't think so.

Unless juniors are really exceptional, they're unlikely to be able to tour and accumulate enough points to qualify directly. So, I don't think you'll see that many.

The top men are in the PDC, and the women's game is much weaker than the men's game (though it is getting deeper) so it's not surprising that a top junior would be competitive. Sticking to 18 years old is just likely to have the most talented players switch to the PDC before they've played in the top BDO tournaments.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Anyone seen McCleanerly or Robsonly?
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

devosteve wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 pm For some reason it doesn't sit right with me re kids qualifying for lakeside (boys or girls)..

It would be a great thing to see players of all ages at Lakeside. We could have Leighton Bennett at 14 & Martin Adams at 63
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
McCleaner
Feather Flights

Post by McCleaner »

Why shouldn't the BDO hype up their youth talent? The BDO is darts for all, after all. Having participants of all ages at Lakeside would be a great way for the BDO to live up to that slogan.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

McCleaner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 am

Why shouldn't the BDO hype up their youth talent? The BDO is darts for all, after all. Having participants of all ages at Lakeside would be a great way for the BDO to live up to that slogan.
Your IP address has given you away, Robson.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Stevo posting with a hint of covetousness there........
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

The pdc are streets ahead of the bdo in most areas.

Why have they got age restrictions if the idea to lift them is so good?

Just a thought: maybe the sponsors (betting firms) wouldn't want 'their' champ bring a 14yr old kid?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

devosteve wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 am The pdc are streets ahead of the bdo in most areas.

Just a thought: maybe the sponsors (betting firms) wouldn't want 'their' champ bring a 14yr old kid?
Maybe not but the BDO possibly would

You moan when BDO have restrictions & you moan when they don’t
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

You cant really moan that they let any female to qualify Devo ffs, although it is a nonsense they will let a kid happily qualify through the table but not the one-off qualifier.
Big Jock Knew
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Ginge wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am You cant really moan that they let any female to qualify Devo ffs, although it is a nonsense they will let a kid happily qualify through the table but not the one-off qualifier.
Ginge is right on this point.

For me if they are good enough to qualify, they are old enough.

However only allowing them to qualify through the table, given they do not have the same flexibility on travel due to school etc, smacks of going through the motions to me.

It is very easy to articulate there are no age restrictions, but the system in place directly discriminates against this.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Stranbougie
The Ton Club

Post by Stranbougie »

ssjsa wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 am
Ginge wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am You cant really moan that they let any female to qualify Devo ffs, although it is a nonsense they will let a kid happily qualify through the table but not the one-off qualifier.
Ginge is right on this point.

For me if they are good enough to qualify, they are old enough.

However only allowing them to qualify through the table, given they do not have the same flexibility on travel due to school etc, smacks of going through the motions to me.

It is very easy to articulate there are no age restrictions, but the system in place directly discriminates against this.
Edited by Admin
Last edited by Admin on Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oh dear
McCleaner
Feather Flights

Post by McCleaner »

devosteve wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 am The pdc are streets ahead of the bdo in most areas.

Because the BDO is a non-profit organisation that wants to provide darts for all. Everyone gets a chance. The PDC is for a certain type of player and is run to gain a profit. You can't really compare them.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

McCleaner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:32 am
devosteve wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 amWhy have they got age restrictions if the idea to lift them is so good?
Because the BDO is a non-profit organisation that wants to provide darts for all.
Fantastic logic :DDD:
Big Jock Knew
County Player

Post by 1205 »

BTW, here's the clarification by the BDO last September :
https://www.bdodarts.com/index.php/item ... s-playoffs

(Yes, that Laura Turner, she works for the BDO.)
McCleaner
Feather Flights

Post by McCleaner »

Ginge wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 am
devosteve wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 amWhy have they got age restrictions if the idea to lift them is so good?
Because the BDO is a non-profit organisation that wants to provide darts for all.
The BDO is run to provide an outlet for everyone to play darts and any profit is put back into the game. Letting players of all ages into their World Championship lives up to that mission statement.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

McCleaner wrote:
The BDO is run to provide an outlet for everyone to play darts and any profit is put back into the game. Letting players of all ages into their World Championship lives up to that mission statement.
....except through the qualifiers, which is the issue being debated. Keep up Robson, you frivelos prock.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Its about time we introduced a registration method that weeds out twats like this.
McCleaner
Feather Flights

Post by McCleaner »

Ginge wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am
McCleaner wrote:
....except through the qualifiers, which is the issue being debated. Keep up Robson, you frivelos prock.
Keep up fanboy, someone said it would upset betting companies to let youths play and win the BDO World Title. That doesn't matter to the BDO. They are run for the sport, not for profit.