Durrant and the Slam

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Addicks Fan
County Player

Re: Durrant and the Slam

Post by Addicks Fan »

1205 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm
phil davies wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:30 pm Could easily be solved by scraping the ridiculous 8 pdc qualifiers and actually putting all winners(and runners up of tv events) into the slam like they should be anyway.
Then it wouldn't be ranked, reducing the tournament's value.
It shouldn't be ranked anyway when you can get to it via non-ranking tournaments with wildcards like the Premier League, WCOD and WSOD. Do you really think its value is based on it being a PDC ranking event?
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

stupid decision to say what he did, how to put more pressure on yourself by letting other players know that you don't think you might qualify and are scratching around for some exemption by begging to be picked to represent the organisation you chose to leave

he is already good to bet against when he is in the crunch rounds, 6-4 or 6-5 and when the pressure mounts as qualifying finalises his choking won't get any better
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Does it really matter too much if he is in it or not? He may have been one of the best players in the BDO, but far, far from it with the professionals. Average at best.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

BlueSpark wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 pm Does it really matter too much if he is in it or not? He may have been one of the best players in the BDO, but far, far from it with the professionals. Average at best.
Give your head a shake, he is a current world champion and as such has to be at the GSoD.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

1205 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 pm
1205 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am He shouldn’t be allowed in as a BDO representative. He will have done enough to qualify as a PDC one.
He's already 17th. He'll have to play qualifiers, unless he can win another Players Championship and get priority over the single winners.
That's kinda what my second sentence referred to there pal.
Oh, I see. I think you're wrong. I don't think he'll overcome the choking.
Silly thing to say about a two time world champion.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

phil davies wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:30 pm Could easily be solved by scraping the ridiculous 8 pdc qualifiers and actually putting all winners(and runners up of tv events) into the slam like they should be anyway.
And thats the correct answer
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Well the PDC said before that the 8 spots are purely for the BDO to decide.. There isn't a set rule that the Lakeside champion has to be one spot.. Obviously the BDO would always pick the world champion.. but I'm not sure they will want to give one of their spots to a PDC player.. They will want their 8 spots to be 8 BDO players I'm sure
But for me if you are going to have an event like the Grand Slam it will be completely ridiculous if the current BDO world champion is not playing when he wants to.. the PDC should insist.. even if the BDO have 8 others plus Durrant.. so be it.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

trotter01 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 pm Well the PDC said before that the 8 spots are purely for the BDO to decide.. There isn't a set rule that the Lakeside champion has to be one spot.. Obviously the BDO would always pick the world champion.. but I'm not sure they will want to give one of their spots to a PDC player.. They will want their 8 spots to be 8 BDO players I'm sure
But for me if you are going to have an event like the Grand Slam it will be completely ridiculous if the current BDO world champion is not playing when he wants to.. the PDC should insist.. even if the BDO have 8 others plus Durrant.. so be it.
According to bluespark just an average player. I think he should win a tv major in the pdc before deserving a place.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Whilst he is the current champion he was the best by miles among the county stars. Amongst the professionals playing week after week, he has struggled more than a lot of people thought he would. Some of us said from day one he would be mid table because of his habit of throwing leads away. He knows it as well, time to see if he can sort it.
But yes, I almost forgot he won in January and as I have always said only winners and champions should be in the slam,not ridiculous qualifiers from a one off event, I take back what I said earlier.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Black Velvet wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:31 pm
1205 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 pm
1205 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am He shouldn’t be allowed in as a BDO representative. He will have done enough to qualify as a PDC one.
He's already 17th. He'll have to play qualifiers, unless he can win another Players Championship and get priority over the single winners.
That's kinda what my second sentence referred to there pal.
Oh, I see. I think you're wrong. I don't think he'll overcome the choking.
Silly thing to say about a two time world champion.
Three-time. In the BDO, where he had more room for error.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

phil davies wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 pm
1205 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm
Then it wouldn't be ranked, reducing the tournament's value.
Why wouldn’t it that’s a better qualifying system than the current one. If you win a event you have far more right to qualify for a ranked event than someone who came through a depleted qualifying field for a ludicrous 8 places. Winners have missed out in previous years for people who won a few games at the qualifying stupid system. It’s supposed to be a champion of champion type event.

I would say it would actually be the most fair ranked event of them all when it comes to qualifying.
If it were _just_ ranking tournament winners and finalists, plus additional ranking to fill it out, then fine, it'd be like the Matchplay or tour finals.

But it isn't. It includes finalists of restricted and invitational tournaments.
Stranbougie
The Ton Club

Post by Stranbougie »

should give it to Bennett instead.
mshaw2
Superleague Player

Post by mshaw2 »

Put the drugs down, Neil.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

If, as we've been led to believe in the past, this tournament offers the BDO the chance to showcase the level of talent on that side of the divide to a wider audience (insert your own witty comment here, I can't be arsed), then why on earth would the BDO voluntarily give one of their 8 spots to a bloke who used to run riot on that side of the divide, but now plays elsewhere? Where's the incentive for them to do it?

My personal feeling is Durrant gave up his chance of a BDO spot in this the moment he won his tour card. He's a PDC player now, qualify as a PDC player or miss out.

In reality, this will probably turn out to be similar to Liverpool winning the Champions League in 2005, then failing to qualify for the next one through their domestic league. No-one had ever bothered thinking such a situation may occur when dreaming up their qualification rules, and so a "special one-off exception will be made" to ensure Durrant is in it come what may, and then, when no-one's looking, the qualification rules will be quietly altered for next year to make sure this problem never crops up again.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

mshaw2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:00 pm Put the drugs down, Neil.
I would but I have no willpower. Although saying that I am trying to give up smoking.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Stranbougie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 am should give it to Bennett instead.
PDC minimum age is 16. They might be able to make an exception if he were a BDO major winner or something, but he isn't. Yet. (A couple of semi-finals and last 16s already).
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

It's good to see that Glen is still considered as a BDO player, is the tide starting to turn?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:If, as we've been led to believe in the past, this tournament offers the BDO the chance to showcase the level of talent on that side of the divide to a wider audience (insert your own witty comment here, I can't be arsed), then why on earth would the BDO voluntarily give one of their 8 spots to a bloke who used to run riot on that side of the divide, but now plays elsewhere? Where's the incentive for them to do it?

My personal feeling is Durrant gave up his chance of a BDO spot in this the moment he won his tour card. He's a PDC player now, qualify as a PDC player or miss out.

In reality, this will probably turn out to be similar to Liverpool winning the Champions League in 2005, then failing to qualify for the next one through their domestic league. No-one had ever bothered thinking such a situation may occur when dreaming up their qualification rules, and so a "special one-off exception will be made" to ensure Durrant is in it come what may, and then, when no-one's looking, the qualification rules will be quietly altered for next year to make sure this problem never crops up again.
Totally agree
Thinking of one.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Tommy Thompson wrote:Tommy Thompson
I serioulsy don't care about the Grand Slam, it isn't a cross code event it is a PDC event, they run it, they fund it, they make the rules. The BDO gets nothing from this event, however the PDC get a great deal as promoting it as a cross code event, becuase it can be promoted as something different from the other events they run, which are virtually same as same as.
Yes 8 players get a payday, great news for them, no payday for the BDO, and the PDC can manipulate the entry criteria to suit what day it is today.
As far as I am aware the BDO have had no contact from the PDC on whether they want the BDO to nominate any players at all, never mind whether some posters want a lady to be included and the conflict that would cause amongst BDO players again.
If ever you wonder how and why the EDO BDO fail miserably on every level this post is exactly why
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Erm yes it is Tommy.
It is an event which features both codes.
Same as the World Darts Trophy when only 5 PDC players were invited.