6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep Blackburn

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: 6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep

Post by devosteve »

Are folks misrepresenting des when they say that he said, when pitching for the top job, that he had sponsors lined up if he took the top job?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

devosteve wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:51 pm Are folks misrepresenting des when they say that he said, when pitching for the top job, that he had sponsors lined up if he took the top job?
I could be wrong but I thought it was part of his mission statement he published. It’s on here somewhere.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:27 pm
ChrisW wrote:
Ginge wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:47 pm
ChrisW wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:28 pm What channel is this on? :)

I suppose it does make us ask the question, is this just a difficult event for which to get a venue, sponsor and TV sorted or have multiple BDO boards just been incompetent?

It is possible that this event has not captured the imagination of the fans or sponsors, however hard to believe that is.
Wasn't it part of the eurosport package.
Wasnt part of the three year deal last year, no. That wasnt confirmed until September or so.
3 events for 3 years wasn't it?
Yes, but signed AFTER the last WDT.

Either the Masters '18 or "Lakey" '19 was the first event it covered.
Lakeside was the first according the article on dartsnews.
2019 Major dates to be televised by Eurosport / Quest TV:

05/01-13/01 – World Professional Championships

30/08-01/09 – World Darts Trophy

25/10-27/10 – Winmau World Masters
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:42 pm
oche balboa wrote:How will they fit all the paying customers into 3 seats
Rather easily i would have thought.
Correct
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Ha!
Big Jock Knew
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

:-( Yea 3 years all 3 events if they happen I think world master hull city Hall the crowd was not to bad on the weekend Friday low so maybe there for that definitely split session instead of 8.5 hours 1st day

I would do wdt lakeside the name helps shifts a few and crowd not To bad year it was there I think to fit it in 3 days split like this

Friday afternoon evening 8 men’s each
Sat afternoon evening 4 men’s 4 woman’s
Sunday start 12 then 4 men’s woman’s last 8
Evening semi final both
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

OK, thanks.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

There was this comment.....

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

TheSandman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm
devosteve wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:51 pm Are folks misrepresenting des when they say that he said, when pitching for the top job, that he had sponsors lined up if he took the top job?
I could be wrong but I thought it was part of his mission statement he published. It’s on here somewhere.
Here it is. Sorry for the wall of text. The relevant bits for the WDT are in red.
BDO Membership
BDO Board of Directors
Dear Sirs and Ladies Date 21st July 2018
TAKING THE BDO TO A BRIGHTER FUTURE
As a continuation to the information that I sent out to you all a few weeks ago I have set down in the
following pages a little more detail for you to take into consideration.
PUTTING IDEAS FORWARD
I do find myself somewhat concerned in the fact that although I am an elected BDO Director who, by
direction of the membership at the recent EGM following a recommendation from the retiring BDO
Directors, have been charged with the duty of ‘shadowing’ Sue Williams [the current BDO Chair] through
the final weeks of her tenure before she steps down at the 2018 AGM.
Although this has not been the easiest of tasks [reasons for which you will be partially aware and which
I will fully explain at the AGM] I have undertaken the duty with enthusiasm and have used the opportunity
to further my commitment to bring back the credibility, professionalism, financial stability and forward
thinking that our great organisation was once renowned for.
With my previous letter and now this current update I am trying to give you all an outline of my vision for
the BDO’s future and in my presentation at the AGM I will inform you all of the detail as to exactly where
I am with putting that vision into practice - including details of the structure and content of the team that
I envisage will be with me in working to take these views, the BDO, its member counties and the players
forward .
I am however concerned at the way I am being ‘railroaded’ into showing my full hand before the AGM
and to explain I can only describe as follows: The normal procedure of submitting a proposal on
Directorship nomination or a proposal for a change in policies or rules at an AGM has always been that
usually a Director nomination or any other proposal would be submitted and seconded by 2 counties and
then the county delegates would attend the AGM and vote on what is relayed at the AGM by the proposer
as to the full detail of that proposal or to hear from the nominated Director in person a full summary of
what he or she can bring to the BDO Board and how he/she sees the future of the BDO and from these
submissions the counties can make a fully considered decision.
What we have now is an insistence that I publish a full and detailed breakdown of my proposal before it
can be placed on the agenda?
I could perhaps understand this if my proposal was in competition with an alternative but from where I
stand at the moment I do not see anyone else with any kind of plan for the future of the BDO?
I am a great believer in the democratic processes within the BDO Member County system whereby their
delegates are given a mandate by their counties to make in a private meeting the decisions they feel is
best for their County and the BDO so why the sudden need to insist that our business be put into the
public domain where it can be plagiarised, misinterpreted and probably torn to shreds by some on Social
media before it can be debated properly by only those that matter i.e. The members!!
You the counties will have the final decision and all I ask is that I be allowed to present my case to its
best advantage to those that will have the task of taking the BDO forward.
Before I continue I feel that I ought to fill in a little background on me personally for those who do not
know much about me. I have been involved with several businesses over the past 25 years but have
been a director of my own businesses for the past 20 years and my background varies from
nightclubs/discotheque, café bars and sports bars to property developing (my company owned & funded
solely by myself and wife) has built to the present date close to 130 properties and have extensive
experience with negotiating 6 figure sums.
As far as sport was concerned I always had a passion for tennis and 25 years ago I made my way through
the County ranks however, it was my wife’s talent and passion of darts that drew me in and when she
decided to make her darting comeback (after a 15-year layoff) it was only natural that I would support
her. My wife started back playing for Lincolnshire in 2007 and by 2012 I became the Lincolnshire
Chairman/treasurer and Captain and have taken Lincolnshire from division 2, to division 1, to the premier
division and that is where we have stayed ever since. I have introduced a player’s sponsorship scheme
where by any Lincolnshire County player is sponsored to attend up to 22 BDO ranking tournaments per
year all over the UK and Europe and all paid for by Lincolnshire county, and through my negotiations all
Lincolnshire county players and officials have all expenses paid for BICC matches.
My ability to negotiate a deal/contract or communicate with those needed to take the BDO further has
never been in doubt, and with the team that I have put together I can assure all members that your
company could not be in safer hands.
BDO DIARY
One of the biggest problems the BDO have is the Diary and despite my best efforts this year it hasn’t
really improved.
My aim is to attack this issue immediately and would like to see a full calendar published 12 months in
advance and I would hope to have this into practice by the end of September 2018 and wherever possible
I would like to see a calendar published 3 years in advance for all Special and Major events including all
category A+ and A. Tournaments
As I see it the following are necessities that have to be addressed and implemented:
• The tour players need proper Diary dates that are set in stone
• The players themselves that enter comps need proper advance information,
• The players attending Tournaments overseas need notifying in plenty of time in order to book their
flights at a reasonable cost as the longer we leave it the higher the price rises for them.
More/……
SPONSORSHIPS
Despite all the bad publicity received by the BDO of late I have had several meetings with a major
overseas sports company who are interested in investing within the BDO, this investment would be
across the board, BICC, the professional game, (men’s and ladies) youth and disabled.
The contracts that we negotiate need to cover a longer period of agreement i.e. 24 or 36 months that will
give sponsors more continuity for promotion of not only their current brands but also any future product
launches and thereby making a partnership with the BDO more attractive in the long term.

BICC
Hotels - At this moment I am in discussions with two major hotel chains who have shown strong interest
in being the preferred hotel chain for the BDO. A system could be put together where any County would
be able to call the number provided and using a unique code book as many rooms as needed for that
particular weekend.
Reducing Costs - One of the single biggest issues for most County delegates is that of County costs,
we are working on a scheme to include the above investor to cut County costs, and as I have asked the
BDO accountants to get the accounts ready for the AGM there will hopefully no real need to have the
November delegates meeting. Other reasons for not having the November meeting are a saving for the
BDO on room hire and hotel rooms for officials, a saving for the Counties on travels and room costs but
perhaps the biggest reason would be if my overall proposal receives a favourable vote, the new directors
will not have had enough time in office to produce any real talking point only 12 weeks after starting their
new post. I cannot stress to you all enough how important it is to me to try and help every County achieve
what it needs to become a more successful and profitable county and with this in mind I will always be
on hand to help any county or individual with any issue no matter its importance. - all questions will be
answered
Fundraising - I also have some good strong and proven fundraising ideas for Counties who wish to try
them in order to generate the income that is so desperately needed
BDO Flagship - The BICC is the BDO Flagship and as such I intend to form a pro-active team of Regional
Directors and county representatives to work alongside the BDO BICC Director in order to revitalise this
most crucial of Events that is the BDO’s shop-window to all aspiring players.
TOURNAMENT VENUES
One of our most embarrassing issues is the sort of venue we choose, I’m looking at more upmarket and
well-appointed venues with glitz and glamour in easily accessible areas of the Country, after all we are
the BRITISH DARTS ORGANISATION and should try and lead by example, I have already negotiated
several great venues to replace existing ones along with new competitions with high incentive
sponsorship.

LIBERATING THE BDO
I believe that over the past few years the Counties and Countries working within the BDO system have
become so disenfranchised that our brand has hit an all-time low with no real way forward, no plan and
therefore no real opportunity to execute any kind of change. What is needed is something radical that
will enhance our identity whilst not sacrificing our objectives and one that will bring us into line with every
other successful business in the land.
The BDO needs liberating from the constraints that are holding us back
It is imperative the BDO work closely with all other organisations and Countries and not have this wall
built up around a few directors that make decisions at the expense of our company, and I’d like to point
out right now that if my proposal receives a favourable decision at the AGM, then I as the Chairman will
actually have less power and decision making than what is current, but that is how it should be if or
company is to have a chance at being successful.
There are so many areas within the BDO that need tackling and of course I cannot be 100% sure that
we are going to be totally successful. However, as a good starting point the team that I have put together
are quite simply some of the best at what they do and together we will endeavour to do our utmost to get
the BDO back to where it needs to be to survive in a modern world.
It is of prime importance to the BDO that we have the strengths of England Darts, Scotland Darts
Association and Wales Darts Organisation on board as their success is vital to the well-being of the BDO
and I intend to seek full collaboration with each as a means of taking us all forward
The future for the BDO is in your hands, we are at a fork in the road and we need some strong decision
making, we are either facing even darker times with no prospects of improvement or a surprisingly
brighter future, give me and the team surrounding me a chance and the BDO stands a really good chance
of coming out the other side, from where I’m standing the only person with his head on the block is me
and as I really believe in the BDO I am more than willing to accept the challenges ahead
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I really hope for your support in August, your Company is
counting on you making the right choices.
Yours most sincerely - Des Jacklin
Big Jock Knew
neil rose
Steady Sixties

Post by neil rose »

Ginge wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:12 am
TheSandman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Here it is. Sorry for the wall of text. The relevant bits for the WDT are in red.
BDO Membership
BDO Board of Directors
Dear Sirs and Ladies Date 21st July 2018
TAKING THE BDO TO A BRIGHTER FUTURE
As a continuation to the information that I sent out to you all a few weeks ago I have set down in the
following pages a little more detail for you to take into consideration.
PUTTING IDEAS FORWARD
I do find myself somewhat concerned in the fact that although I am an elected BDO Director who, by
direction of the membership at the recent EGM following a recommendation from the retiring BDO
Directors, have been charged with the duty of ‘shadowing’ Sue Williams [the current BDO Chair] through
the final weeks of her tenure before she steps down at the 2018 AGM.
Although this has not been the easiest of tasks [reasons for which you will be partially aware and which
I will fully explain at the AGM] I have undertaken the duty with enthusiasm and have used the opportunity
to further my commitment to bring back the credibility, professionalism, financial stability and forward
thinking that our great organisation was once renowned for.
With my previous letter and now this current update I am trying to give you all an outline of my vision for
the BDO’s future and in my presentation at the AGM I will inform you all of the detail as to exactly where
I am with putting that vision into practice - including details of the structure and content of the team that
I envisage will be with me in working to take these views, the BDO, its member counties and the players
forward .
I am however concerned at the way I am being ‘railroaded’ into showing my full hand before the AGM
and to explain I can only describe as follows: The normal procedure of submitting a proposal on
Directorship nomination or a proposal for a change in policies or rules at an AGM has always been that
usually a Director nomination or any other proposal would be submitted and seconded by 2 counties and
then the county delegates would attend the AGM and vote on what is relayed at the AGM by the proposer
as to the full detail of that proposal or to hear from the nominated Director in person a full summary of
what he or she can bring to the BDO Board and how he/she sees the future of the BDO and from these
submissions the counties can make a fully considered decision.
What we have now is an insistence that I publish a full and detailed breakdown of my proposal before it
can be placed on the agenda?
I could perhaps understand this if my proposal was in competition with an alternative but from where I
stand at the moment I do not see anyone else with any kind of plan for the future of the BDO?
I am a great believer in the democratic processes within the BDO Member County system whereby their
delegates are given a mandate by their counties to make in a private meeting the decisions they feel is
best for their County and the BDO so why the sudden need to insist that our business be put into the
public domain where it can be plagiarised, misinterpreted and probably torn to shreds by some on Social
media before it can be debated properly by only those that matter i.e. The members!!
You the counties will have the final decision and all I ask is that I be allowed to present my case to its
best advantage to those that will have the task of taking the BDO forward.
Before I continue I feel that I ought to fill in a little background on me personally for those who do not
know much about me. I have been involved with several businesses over the past 25 years but have
been a director of my own businesses for the past 20 years and my background varies from
nightclubs/discotheque, café bars and sports bars to property developing (my company owned & funded
solely by myself and wife) has built to the present date close to 130 properties and have extensive
experience with negotiating 6 figure sums.
As far as sport was concerned I always had a passion for tennis and 25 years ago I made my way through
the County ranks however, it was my wife’s talent and passion of darts that drew me in and when she
decided to make her darting comeback (after a 15-year layoff) it was only natural that I would support
her. My wife started back playing for Lincolnshire in 2007 and by 2012 I became the Lincolnshire
Chairman/treasurer and Captain and have taken Lincolnshire from division 2, to division 1, to the premier
division and that is where we have stayed ever since. I have introduced a player’s sponsorship scheme
where by any Lincolnshire County player is sponsored to attend up to 22 BDO ranking tournaments per
year all over the UK and Europe and all paid for by Lincolnshire county, and through my negotiations all
Lincolnshire county players and officials have all expenses paid for BICC matches.
My ability to negotiate a deal/contract or communicate with those needed to take the BDO further has
never been in doubt, and with the team that I have put together I can assure all members that your
company could not be in safer hands.
BDO DIARY
One of the biggest problems the BDO have is the Diary and despite my best efforts this year it hasn’t
really improved.
My aim is to attack this issue immediately and would like to see a full calendar published 12 months in
advance and I would hope to have this into practice by the end of September 2018 and wherever possible
I would like to see a calendar published 3 years in advance for all Special and Major events including all
category A+ and A. Tournaments
As I see it the following are necessities that have to be addressed and implemented:
• The tour players need proper Diary dates that are set in stone
• The players themselves that enter comps need proper advance information,
• The players attending Tournaments overseas need notifying in plenty of time in order to book their
flights at a reasonable cost as the longer we leave it the higher the price rises for them.
More/……
SPONSORSHIPS
Despite all the bad publicity received by the BDO of late I have had several meetings with a major
overseas sports company who are interested in investing within the BDO, this investment would be
across the board, BICC, the professional game, (men’s and ladies) youth and disabled.
The contracts that we negotiate need to cover a longer period of agreement i.e. 24 or 36 months that will
give sponsors more continuity for promotion of not only their current brands but also any future product
launches and thereby making a partnership with the BDO more attractive in the long term.

BICC
Hotels - At this moment I am in discussions with two major hotel chains who have shown strong interest
in being the preferred hotel chain for the BDO. A system could be put together where any County would
be able to call the number provided and using a unique code book as many rooms as needed for that
particular weekend.
Reducing Costs - One of the single biggest issues for most County delegates is that of County costs,
we are working on a scheme to include the above investor to cut County costs, and as I have asked the
BDO accountants to get the accounts ready for the AGM there will hopefully no real need to have the
November delegates meeting. Other reasons for not having the November meeting are a saving for the
BDO on room hire and hotel rooms for officials, a saving for the Counties on travels and room costs but
perhaps the biggest reason would be if my overall proposal receives a favourable vote, the new directors
will not have had enough time in office to produce any real talking point only 12 weeks after starting their
new post. I cannot stress to you all enough how important it is to me to try and help every County achieve
what it needs to become a more successful and profitable county and with this in mind I will always be
on hand to help any county or individual with any issue no matter its importance. - all questions will be
answered
Fundraising - I also have some good strong and proven fundraising ideas for Counties who wish to try
them in order to generate the income that is so desperately needed
BDO Flagship - The BICC is the BDO Flagship and as such I intend to form a pro-active team of Regional
Directors and county representatives to work alongside the BDO BICC Director in order to revitalise this
most crucial of Events that is the BDO’s shop-window to all aspiring players.
TOURNAMENT VENUES
One of our most embarrassing issues is the sort of venue we choose, I’m looking at more upmarket and
well-appointed venues with glitz and glamour in easily accessible areas of the Country, after all we are
the BRITISH DARTS ORGANISATION and should try and lead by example, I have already negotiated
several great venues to replace existing ones along with new competitions with high incentive
sponsorship.

LIBERATING THE BDO
I believe that over the past few years the Counties and Countries working within the BDO system have
become so disenfranchised that our brand has hit an all-time low with no real way forward, no plan and
therefore no real opportunity to execute any kind of change. What is needed is something radical that
will enhance our identity whilst not sacrificing our objectives and one that will bring us into line with every
other successful business in the land.
The BDO needs liberating from the constraints that are holding us back
It is imperative the BDO work closely with all other organisations and Countries and not have this wall
built up around a few directors that make decisions at the expense of our company, and I’d like to point
out right now that if my proposal receives a favourable decision at the AGM, then I as the Chairman will
actually have less power and decision making than what is current, but that is how it should be if or
company is to have a chance at being successful.
There are so many areas within the BDO that need tackling and of course I cannot be 100% sure that
we are going to be totally successful. However, as a good starting point the team that I have put together
are quite simply some of the best at what they do and together we will endeavour to do our utmost to get
the BDO back to where it needs to be to survive in a modern world.
It is of prime importance to the BDO that we have the strengths of England Darts, Scotland Darts
Association and Wales Darts Organisation on board as their success is vital to the well-being of the BDO
and I intend to seek full collaboration with each as a means of taking us all forward
The future for the BDO is in your hands, we are at a fork in the road and we need some strong decision
making, we are either facing even darker times with no prospects of improvement or a surprisingly
brighter future, give me and the team surrounding me a chance and the BDO stands a really good chance
of coming out the other side, from where I’m standing the only person with his head on the block is me
and as I really believe in the BDO I am more than willing to accept the challenges ahead
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I really hope for your support in August, your Company is
counting on you making the right choices.
Yours most sincerely - Des Jacklin
When you read the 2nd paragraph in red and look where the BDO is in terms of Venues/Sponsorship being announced it doesn't half show how much BS went into that proposal
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Also when you bear in mind that document is what, 10 months old?
Big Jock Knew
neil rose
Steady Sixties

Post by neil rose »

If they haven't got a sponsor to cover everything then this event can't surely go ahead, I've always been pro BDO and optimistically thought/hoped it could be saved but I don't think so now, hope I'm wrong thou

Who's left playing wise that people's going to want to buy tickets to watch?? Likes of Wolfie/Fitton/Oshea are big names/characters but theyre miles from where they were standard wise, a don't think there's one player left now who people would give a prayer to against the PDC lads , I can see Leighton Bennett winning 1/2/3 lakeside's (or wherever its held) before he's even old enough for Qschool
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

neil rose wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:23 am If they haven't got a sponsor to cover everything then this event can't surely go ahead
This has been said every single year since the BDO took the event over from BDO Events, yet it still went ahead anyway. Channel 4 money has paid for it in recent years (and anyone who actually believes Sports Direct paid the full prize fund that year needs their head examining), an exorbitant waste of funds.
Big Jock Knew
neil rose
Steady Sixties

Post by neil rose »

Ginge wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 am
neil rose wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:23 am If they haven't got a sponsor to cover everything then this event can't surely go ahead
This has been said every single year since the BDO took the event over from BDO Events, yet it still went ahead anyway. Channel 4 money has paid for it in recent years (and anyone who actually believes Sports Direct paid the full prize fund that year needs their head examining), an exorbitant waste of funds.
You'd think now Des with his business head on won't allow it now he's accountable for it!!!! But as he claims in his proposal that he's got sponsors lining up so no more hiding behind the old boards failures imo
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

All utterly irrelevant as Sportotal negotiate on their behalf for these major events, don't they?
Maybe Des didn't do his due diligence and assumed he could do as he pleased.
If they re use the same venues as before or have used previously, then his comment about the venues highlighted above will make him look an absolute twat.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 am All utterly irrelevant as Sportotal negotiate on their behalf for these major events, don't they?
Not for venues, surely? Sponsors = yes.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ginge wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am
BlueSpark wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 am All utterly irrelevant as Sportotal negotiate on their behalf for these major events, don't they?
He mentioned sponsorship in his diatribe.
So why, if they have no input in venue negotiations, has the venue not been disclosed?
Having not bothered to read his drivel until now, I noticed the second highlighted part. Said he had negotiated venues, high incentive sponsorship and new competitions.
How are these going Des?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I see one of the channels that used to show darts on this side of the divide has been told off by OFCOM again....

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... lletin.pdf

Page 15 onwards. Tut tut.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

BlueSpark wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:35 am
Ginge wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am
He mentioned sponsorship in his diatribe.
So why, if they have no input in venue negotiations, has the venue not been disclosed?
Having not bothered to read his drivel until now, I noticed the second highlighted part. Said he had negotiated venues, high incentive sponsorship and new competitions.
How are these going Des?
They're not.
But it's okay, because it's all Olly Croft's fault, or something.