6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep Blackburn

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
davcol
Superleague Player

Re: 6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep

Post by davcol »

BVDRassel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 pm
davcol wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm looking forward to this one. Wide open this year.
Harms won a tournament in Slovakia and knocked Jim Williams off the throne in February. Veenstra has also since passed The Quiff in the BDO men's rankings. All three are in the worlds top 10. With Veenstra and Harms in the top 5 with PDC men's players Gurney MVG and Durrent.
Always been impressed by Harms when ive seen him.
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

davcol wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 pm
BVDRassel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 pm
davcol wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm looking forward to this one. Wide open this year.
Harms won a tournament in Slovakia and knocked Jim Williams off the throne in February. Veenstra has also since passed The Quiff in the BDO men's rankings. All three are in the worlds top 10. With Veenstra and Harms in the top 5 with PDC men's players Gurney MVG and Durrent.
Always been impressed by Harms when ive seen him.
Davcol on the drugs
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

From the metro Phil Haigh article with Williams.
The World Trophy remains a bone of contention among BDO players, fans and higher-ups as the venue and ticket details are yet to be announced for the event scheduled for the end of August.

Williams admits that the delays over the announcements are a worry for him and his fellow players, even doubting whether it will take place, but he is backing BDO chairman Des Jacklin to get the details ironed out in time.

‘I’ve not heard a thing about the World Trophy,’ Jim continued. ‘I don’t even know if it’s still going on. ‘Yeah [the players are concerned], I’ve had a few people from America and Canada text me asking about it, I don’t know anything. It sounds like it’s a venue problem.

‘Des said he’s got one lined up, but I don’t know if he’s got any further than that.’ The World Championship semi-finalist admits that steering the BDO ship in the right direction is a tough job, but that Jacklin has the backing of the majority in the organisation.

‘He’s got a lot more problems behind the scenes that most people realise. ‘I think everyone’s in the same boat as me in thinking it couldn’t get any worse. Something needed to happen. Des is very business minded, I think he’s going to take it forward and I think most people would agree, to be fair.

‘The World Championship was good, as good as any I’ve ever been involved with. ‘If dates are in and venues are set then people would be a lot more settled, but we’ll see.’
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

I think most realise (certainly on here) the number of problems that Des has when he took over. Problem is I don’t think he realised.

You have to think he had plans of going to Preston.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If Des Jacklin told Jim Williams to jump off a cliff, he would probably do it.

Lest we forget (32 seconds or so in the relevant question starts).....

Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

classic: new events, and more money in the bdo. And more players are coming back!
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

The Jolly Man wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 am I think most realise (certainly on here) the number of problems that Des has when he took over. Problem is I don’t think he realised.

Surely venue cannot be a problem. There are loads out there. The sponsors changing their mind? Is that the issue.

Or like you say the BDO in a bigger difficulty than any of us (including Des at the time) know.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am classic: new events, and more money in the bdo. And more players are coming back!
#Wow! #NewEra @SultanOfBrunei @Billingsgate
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Des Jacklin is ignoring calls from players now
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 am Des Jacklin is ignoring calls from players now
The guy from the Metro doing some quality shitstirring this week **doffs cap**

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/14/kyle-mck ... g-9952496/
‘I’ve qualified for the World Trophy, but nobody knows where it’s at,’ McKinstry continued. ‘I’ve text and rang [BDO chairman] Des Jacklin, but he won’t even reply to my calls or messages. ‘My manager’s onto me looking to book flights and hotels and I don’t even know where it is! We can’t book anything, it’s frustrating, we’ve lost the points from last year because it hasn’t been played. I’ve lost 28 points. ‘I’m not confident about it, I don’t think it is going to happen, to be quite honest, I don’t think the World Trophy is going to go ahead. ‘And if the World Trophy isn’t going to go ahead, which is one of the main ones which Des signed this contract for last year, the World Championship, the World Masters and the World Trophy, if the first one doesn’t go ahead, it makes you think about Lakeside. Is Lakeside going to go ahead? It makes you think. ‘I don’t think he’s lying, but if he could just tell the players involved and say it’s going to be in Manchester or wherever, or even near there, if you book to Manchester you’ll be safe enough. You don’t need to do a whole big speech, just tell the players because it’s not fair on them.’
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

The Jolly Man wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 am I think most realise (certainly on here) the number of problems that Des has when he took over. Problem is I don’t think he realised.

spot on. The problem were/are obvious. They cant compete wit hPDC and try to run vanity comps like the World Darts Trophy. It was obvious and cast a huge doubt on this so called business brain of Des. He built a few houses and ran a nightclub lest we forget. And that's it.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

I hope it goes ahead, will be another woeful turnout and much source of merriment.
As per the last few years, great entertainment
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

BlueSpark wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am I hope it goes ahead, will be another woeful turnout and much source of merriment.
Do you even like darts?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Paddy McGinty wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am
BlueSpark wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am I hope it goes ahead, will be another woeful turnout and much source of merriment.
Do you even like darts?
Ha that was quick
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Christ!!!!!
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 am Des Jacklin is ignoring calls from players now
Something about the new board and transparency
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 pm
Well it is transparent...everyone knows he is.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Paddy McGinty wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 pm
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 pm
Well it is transparent...everyone knows he is.
By transparent do you mean everyone is beginning to see straight through his big plans?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

devosteve wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 am

Surely venue cannot be a problem. There are loads out there. The sponsors changing their mind? Is that the issue.

Or like you say the BDO in a bigger difficulty than any of us (including Des at the time) know.
Venue is a problem. I suspect Preston was high on the agenda. The BDO can’t go to any venue and say they will get xxxx number of paying visitors. The event has been going for several years and crowds aren’t getting better. Why book a 3/4 day event over a bank holiday when you can get some 00s/90s/80s/70s tribute act that will draw in a bigger crowd on a single night than the entire world trophy. Same issue goes with the masters. But with that’s you get the qualifiers, International entrants needing accommodation etc. A bit more appealing but again what are the number on paying fans and how many venues can actually hold the event?

Finally you get the World Champs that is basically known as the current venue. A lot of people know it as Lakeside. Why would other venues step in and host if joe public refer to the event as a previous location.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Its interesting that those speaking out about issues are players that went to q-school and failed.