PDC World Matchplay 20th - 28th July 2019- Blackpool

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ssjsa
International

Re: PDC World Matchplay 20th - 28th July 2019- Blackpool

Post by ssjsa »

THE schedule of play for the 2019 Betfred World Matchplay has been confirmed, with reigning champion Gary Anderson beginning the defence of his title on the opening night of Saturday July 20.

Blackpool's famous Winter Gardens will host the summer's biggest darts event later this month, with 32 players competing from July 20-28 live on Sky Sports.

The first round is split across the opening three days, including a double session on Sunday July 21.

Anderson, who hit a nine-dart finish on his way to a first World Matchplay crown in 2018, will begin his bid to retain the Phil Taylor Trophy against Danny Noppert on a mouth-watering opening night.

UK Open champion Nathan Aspinall will play Mervyn King in the opening fixture, while Gerwyn Price will take on Stephen Bunting and Rob Cross will face Chris Dobey, another of the seven debutants to experience the intimate Winter Gardens atmosphere this year.

Sunday's afternoon session will see former quarter-finalists Dave Chisnall, Joe Cullen, Ian White and Darren Webster all in action, before World Championship runner-up Michael Smith meets in-form Jamie Hughes.

In the Sunday evening session Michael van Gerwen will start his quest for a third Blackpool title against Steve Beaton, 2007 champion James Wade will face last year's semi-finalist Jeffrey de Zwaan and former runner-up Adrian Lewis will meet three-time Lakeside champion Glen Durrant.

Former finalist Peter Wright will star in the final night of first round action on Monday, with 2017 semi-finalist Daryl Gurney and two-time semi-finalist Simon Whitlock also in action.

The second round is split across the evenings of Tuesday and Wednesday, with the players from the top half of the draw playing on Tuesday and those in the bottom half returning to the stage on Wednesday.

The quarter-finals are then split across Thursday and Friday, with the semi-finals on Saturday before the winner will be crowned following Sunday's final.

Tickets for the 2019 Betfred World Matchplay are still available.

2019 Betfred World Matchplay
Schedule of Play
Saturday July 20 (1900 BST)
First Round
Nathan Aspinall v Mervyn King
Gerwyn Price v Stephen Bunting
Gary Anderson v Danny Noppert
Rob Cross v Chris Dobey

Sunday July 21 (1300 BST)
First Round
Darren Webster v Krzysztof Ratajski
Dave Chisnall v Max Hopp
Ian White v Joe Cullen
Michael Smith v Jamie Hughes

Evening Session (1930 BST)
First Round
James Wade v Jeffrey de Zwaan
Mensur Suljovic v Jermaine Wattimena
Michael van Gerwen v Steve Beaton
Adrian Lewis v Glen Durrant

Monday July 22 (1900 BST)
First Round
Jonny Clayton v Keegan Brown
Simon Whitlock v John Henderson
Daryl Gurney v Ricky Evans
Peter Wright v Vincent van der Voort

Tuesday July 23 (1900 BST)
Second Round
Smith/Hughes v Chisnall/Hopp
Wade/De Zwaan v Suljovic/Wattimena
Anderson/Noppert v Aspinall/King
Van Gerwen/Beaton v Lewis/Durrant

Wednesday July 24 (1900 BST)
Second Round
Gurney/Evans v Clayton/Brown
Price/Bunting v White/Cullen
Cross/Dobey v Webster/Ratajski
Wright/Van der Voort v Whitlock/Henderson

Thursday July 25 (1900 BST)
Quarter-Finals x2

Friday July 26 (1900 BST)
Quarter-Finals x2

Saturday July 27 (1900 BST)
Semi-Finals

Sunday July 28 (1900 BST)
Final

Format:
First Round - Best of 19 legs
Second Round - Best of 21 legs
Quarter-Finals - Best of 31 legs
Semi-Finals - Best of 33 legs
Final - Best of 35 legs

Prize Fund:
Winner - £150,000
Runner-Up - £70,000
Semi-Finalists - £50,000
Quarter-Finalists - £25,000
Second Round Losers - £15,000
First Round Losers - £10,000
Total - £700,000

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

With the Smith v Hughes match now being afternoon I think Hughes will win. Convinced Smith struggles in afternoon from memory.
Thinking of one.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

The Sunday afternoon session is usually the least attractive of the First Round by some way.

Not this year.

ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Just looked at EPG for Sun 21st and no darts showing in afternoon. I presume/hope this will be rectified.
Thinking of one.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The Crusader wrote:Just looked at EPG for Sun 21st and no darts showing in afternoon. I presume/hope this will be rectified.
Course it will.

This isnt Frontrunner ffs
Big Jock Knew
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

The Crusader wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 pm Just looked at EPG for Sun 21st and no darts showing in afternoon. I presume/hope this will be rectified.
Why would it not be broadcast ffs
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

GLEN DURRANT will fulfil a lifetime ambition when he takes to the Winter Gardens stage for the first time at the 2019 Betfred World Matchplay.

Since winning his PDC Tour Card at the first time of asking in January, the three-time Lakeside champion has already picked up two ranking titles to see him qualify for the Blackpool event a year earlier than he expected.

Durrant will face two-time World Champion Adrian Lewis in a mouth-watering first round tie, and the 48-year-old explained how much it will mean to walk out onto the famous Winter Gardens stage.

"It's always been one of my biggest ambitions to play in Blackpool, it will be another dream come true for me," said Durrant.

"When I first moved over to the PDC my ultimate target was to make it to the Matchplay, it's somewhere I've always thought looks like a special place to play.

"I went there last year as a guest and it was just one of those moments that I thought 'I’ve got to play here one day.'

"The tradition, the building itself, the knowledgeable crowd, the heat, which I love. To qualify this year was momentous for me, it was huge and I’m delighted and so excited."

Durrant sensationally won a Players Championship event in just his second month on the PDC ProTour in February, before doubling his tally in May.

The Middlesbrough man's warm demeanour has seen him become a favourite among fans and players alike, with Durrant now looking to make his mark in televised events. 

"I thought it might take a bit more time than it has done to qualify for the Matchplay, but I'm ready now," Durrant continued.

"I've totally exceeded the initial targets I set myself at the start of the year and now my goals are changing but I'm not putting too much pressure on myself at the moment.

"Adrian Lewis is a two-time champion of the world, one of the real legends of the PDC.

"He’s 16th seed, incredibly, meaning I’m in the section with Michael van Gerwen as well, so it’s an incredible draw.

"I’m determined to enjoy myself. Not many people expected me to qualify for the Matchplay this year, so I’m really going to make the most of the experience."

The Betfred World Matchplay will be held from July 20-28 at The Winter Gardens, Blackpool.

Broadcast live on Sky Sports, the tournament will see 32 players competing across nine days.

ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

GARY ANDERSON is in relaxed mood as he prepares to defend his title at the Betfred World Matchplay.

Two-time World Champion Anderson, who will face Danny Noppert in Saturday's opening night of action, famously claimed his first Blackpool title in spectacular style at last year's event, defeating Mensur Suljovic 21-19 in one of the best ever Matchplay finals.

Having endured a difficult first half of 2019 due to back injury, Anderson announced his return by winning the World Cup for the first time, with the Scottish number one crediting a relaxed approach to his success.

"As I've got older I've started to realise the importance of having a release from the pressure of darts," Anderson told The Darts Show Podcast.

"I've spent half my life playing darts and probably the other half doing things for other people, so now when I send the kids off to school I think 'it's time for some Gary time now' and I go fishing.

"I'll sit by the lake for a few hours and switch off in the fresh air, just watching the world go by. It's done me the world of good and I've also managed to drop a couple of stone with my diet.

"Now I'm looking forward to getting back up on the stage, but it might take a while for me to get my consistency back so I'm not putting too much pressure on myself for the rest of this year.

"Blackpool has never been my favourite tournament because of the travel time, but the venue is absolutely brilliant - all the fans are jammed in and it's always a top atmosphere."

The Betfred World Matchplay will be held from July 20-28 at The Winter Gardens, Blackpool.

Broadcast live on Sky Sports, the tournament will see 32 players competing across nine days.

bistochris
Feather Flights

Post by bistochris »

I can see Anderson retiring soon. He's clearly fallen out of love with the game.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

bistochris wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm I can see Anderson retiring soon. He's clearly fallen out of love with the game.
Sod off Robson, theres a lamb.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

It won’t be long
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

I reckon a couple more years.
bistochris
Feather Flights

Post by bistochris »

Wright has a great draw.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

WORLD CHAMPION Michael van Gerwen is now 13/8 to win the Betfred World Matchplay ahead of next week's Blackpool tournament.

Dutchman Van Gerwen has previously won the World Matchplay twice and heads into this year's event as the pre-tournament favourite with sponsors Betfred.

However, his odds have moved out to 13/8 following his early exit to Martin Schindler in last week's German Darts Masters.

World number two Rob Cross remains the 7/1 second favourite, with reigning champion Gary Anderson having moved out from 9/1 to now being 10/1 as he bids to retain the title.

German Darts Masters champion Peter Wright has seen his odds cut from 22/1 last week to 12/1 as he becomes the new fourth favourite, ahead of Gerwyn Price (14/1) and 2007 champion James Wade (22/1).

UK Open champion Nathan Aspinall is a 25/1 chance to claim a third TV title of the year on his Winter Gardens debut, alongside Premier League stars Daryl Gurney and Michael Smith.

Debutant Glen Durrant is rated at 40/1 alongside 2018 finalist Mensur Suljovic, Dave Chisnall and Ian White, while 2013 runner-up Adrian Lewis is joined by Krzysztof Ratajski and Jamie Hughes at 66/1.

New tournament sponsors Betfred will have a range of markets available throughout the event - click here to visit the Betfred website.

Betfred Pre-Tournament Odds
13/8 Michael van Gerwen
7/1 Rob Cross
10/1 Gary Anderson
12/1 Peter Wright
14/1 Gerwyn Price
22/1 James Wade
25/1 Nathan Aspinall, Daryl Gurney, Michael Smith
40/1 Ian White, Glen Durrant, Dave Chisnall, Mensur Suljovic
66/1 Adrian Lewis, Krzysztof Ratajski, Jamie Hughes
80/1 Jeffrey de Zwaan
125/1 Chris Dobey, Stephen Bunting, Simon Whitlock, Jonny Clayton
150/1 Keegan Brown, Joe Cullen, Ricky Evans
200/1 Danny Noppert, John Henderson, Max Hopp, Vincent van der Voort, Darren Webster
250/1 Mervyn King, Jermaine Wattimena
300/1 Steve Beaton
Each-Way Odds 1/2 1, 2
Odds correct at time of writing and courtesy www.betfred.com. Subject to fluctuation.

ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

PDC just tweeted to advise they have made a mistake. Matchplay doesn't actually start until a week on Saturday.

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ssjsa wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:03 pm PDC just tweeted to advise they have made a mistake. Matchplay doesn't actually start until a week on Saturday.
If only. Not many going to be following it on here.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Its not a sellout i hear

Borespark will be wipping up the blackpool public and force them to go, while setting out nasty rumours amogst the blackburn public
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

So with the Matchplay just 3 days away, what are your favourite moments, memories & matches of this superb darting tournament over the years?

For me, Phil Taylor's dominance & continual excellence at this event, culminating in a thrashing of van Gerwen in the 1/4 finals in 2017 before going on to win his 16th title will always standout.

Some incredible matches over the years, Anderson-Suljovic in last year's final & Anderson-Cullen in the 1/4 finals live long in the memory.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

ssjsa wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 pm My abiding memories of watching the Matchplay on TV in the early days were definitely Evison beating Taylor and going on to win the title in 1996 and the walk ons of Jamie Harvey.

Best moment watching live in the Winter Gardens was definitely Ando beating Adrian Lewis 16-8 in the quarter final on the Friday night in 2014. Was seated on the balcony and this was the only time I ever in the venuethat I struggled with the heat. The Saturday night would have even better had Gary not lost 17-15 to Taylor in the semi final.
Bumped in response to Wiz's post above.