Ashowdown and out

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
markymark
County Player

Ashowdown and out

Post by markymark »

The ravens are leaving the Tower of London.
devosteve
International

Re: Ashdown and gone

Post by devosteve »

After much deliberation, it is with heavy heart that I formally announce my resignation as Master of Ceremonies and Head Referee of the British Darts Organisation.

I would like to thank the board members of the BDO both past and present for opportunities given to me to work upon their tournament stages since 2013, most notably of course, the Lakeside.

I don’t think I need to explain just how much it has meant to me to host six Lakeside World Championships. An event that has truly become a part of me over the past 26 years, since I first attended in 1994 and worked at as a spotter since 2002.

I have been blessed to work alongside some of the finest referees to grace our sport in this time and I would like to thank Nick Rolls, Marco Meijer, Antony Dundas, Huw Ware & Charlie Corstorphine for their impeccable work and unfailing support to me.

I would like to extend personal thanks to those that have made our jobs on stage so much easier, most notably Rab Butler, Cliff Murray and Colin McClements.

I hope the passion I have for the BDO and our sport came across to both players and fans alike. I can be honest in saying that I have given this role my all, both on and off the stage and it’s something that I am very proud of.

However, as the BDO moves into a transitional period, I feel those efforts are now exhausted and it’s time for me to move on. These choices are my own and not governed by other contracts or organisations.

I would like to clarify that my work with other affiliated organisations, such as England Darts and the World Darts Federation will continue.

I sincerely wish Des Jacklin and his team all the very best of success with forthcoming events and the future of the BDO.

My final good wishes of course go to the BDO players. It’s been a pleasure. Thank you.

Richard Ashdown.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Application sent.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Never mind
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I hope the passion I have for the BDO and our sport came across to both players and fans alike. I can be honest in saying that I have given this role my all, both on and off the stage and it’s something that I am very proud of.

However, as the BDO moves into a transitional period, I feel those efforts are now exhausted and it’s time for me to move on. These choices are my own and not governed by other contracts or organisations."

The key bit for me. What does he mean "those efforts are now exhausted ". He has simply had enough ?
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Full time spotting/MCing/calling for the PDC I would surmise, like when Georgie Noble or Huw Ware switched.
It's not just the best players that switch.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

So the rumour i heard wasnt a load of bollocks then.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 pm So the rumour i heard wasnt a load of bollocks then.
Which was?
(something about aftertiming)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Ginge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 pm So the rumour i heard wasnt a load of bollocks then.
Which was?
(something about aftertiming)
I posted it in the WDT thread earlier this week that he was stepping down.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

My enjoyment of darts whether PDC or BDO will not be affected one bit by this announcement.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:My enjoyment of darts whether PDC or BDO will not be affected one bit by this announcement.
Good luck to him, nice fella but i dont believe for a minute this has nowt to do with a) Winmau stepping down, b) Des, or c) both.
Big Jock Knew
BeppeBergomi
The Ton Club

Post by BeppeBergomi »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Full time spotting/MCing/calling for the PDC I would surmise, like when Georgie Noble or Huw Ware switched.
There's only one John McDonald as MC

I reckon he can make a good ref though....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Ginge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:33 pm
BlueSpark wrote:My enjoyment of darts whether PDC or BDO will not be affected one bit by this announcement.
Good luck to him, nice fella but i dont believe for a minute this has nowt to do with a) Winmau stepping down, b) Des, or c) both.
Well if he went to the PDC then surely the Winmau sponsorship would still be a problem would it not?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ILAD wrote:
Ginge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:33 pm
Well if he went to the PDC then surely the Winmau sponsorship would still be a problem would it not?
Fair point. Dont think he has the Winmau patch on for his PDC engagements though, although may be wrong.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

BlueSpark wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:30 pm My enjoyment of darts whether PDC or BDO will not be affected one bit by this announcement.
I think most would agree.

but it's the timing that is interesting. Is it connected with des taking over? Or does he see the demise of the BDO and so wants out to look after his own career?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Richard what a massive loss you will be to the BDO and like many will agree it’s a very sad day indeed.
But also not a big surprise that you have left to be honest.
I’m surprised you stuck it out with all the political shenanigans that have gone on over the years when Sue & Wayne was on the board for as long as you did, you and the refs were never given the full respect you all deserved then.
I actually thought you all would have been given more respect when Des took over but I would imagine that never happened.
and that’s just from my own experiences.
With promises etc but that’s another story for another day.

I actually see YOU as one of the Last major Faces of the BDO.
(That’s not disrespecting the players in anyway.)
You will be a huge massive loss.
You was for the BDO a face, Someone who everyone associated with BDO darts, very professional all the time and gave 110% commitment and more.
I know what you do behind the scenes to help everything run smoothly at events.
What’s scary is they probably don’t even know what they have lost with you going.
I think They have been so short sighted.
It’s a very sad day for BDO darts that you have felt the need to go
All the best for the future
Speak soon"

Interesting post from Wayne D.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

On one hand, it does say something when one of your most recognisable people is an MC/ref rather than a player, and on the other, it says something when that person walks away.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

devosteve wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:27 pm Richard what a massive loss you will be to the BDO and like many will agree it’s a very sad day indeed.
But also not a big surprise that you have left to be honest.
I’m surprised you stuck it out with all the political shenanigans that have gone on over the years when Sue & Wayne was on the board for as long as you did, you and the refs were never given the full respect you all deserved then.
I actually thought you all would have been given more respect when Des took over but I would imagine that never happened.
and that’s just from my own experiences.
With promises etc but that’s another story for another day.

I actually see YOU as one of the Last major Faces of the BDO.
(That’s not disrespecting the players in anyway.)
You will be a huge massive loss.
You was for the BDO a face, Someone who everyone associated with BDO darts, very professional all the time and gave 110% commitment and more.
I know what you do behind the scenes to help everything run smoothly at events.
What’s scary is they probably don’t even know what they have lost with you going.
I think They have been so short sighted.
It’s a very sad day for BDO darts that you have felt the need to go
All the best for the future
Speak soon"

Interesting post from Wayne D.
Another threat of disciplinary action coming shortly. :grin:

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

BeppeBergomi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:54 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote:Full time spotting/MCing/calling for the PDC I would surmise, like when Georgie Noble or Huw Ware switched.
There's only one John McDonald as MC

I reckon he can make a good ref though....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
McDonald isn't always available due to boxing commitments. Russ Bray and some Scottish mush have both done it in the past.
He can do any of the jobs if needed.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Should have been called Ashdown and out this thread