RIP Lakeside

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ILAD
International

Re: RIP Lakeside

Post by ILAD »

Oche what you banned from Twitter for?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

having been to lakeside a few times, im glad it has moved, for match atmosphere & closeness to action it cant be beaten along with winter gardens, however for all round experience which is what todays consumer of sport wants it was lagging sorely behind other sport entertainment venues my view only no axe to grind.
The Swordsman
Steady Sixties

Post by The Swordsman »

I enjoyed my one and only visit to the Lakeside in terms of atmosphere and finally making a pilgrimage there after having watched the darts from there on TV for decades. The general state of the place was shocking though, a lack of investment for many years was apparent. And the catering was horrific.

Still it obviously had its loyal fans who knew all the staff and felt very much at home there. I suspect they’ll miss it, and if they don’t go along to the O2 I don’t see how the BDO will fill the new venue.
dartsyoungun
The Ton Club

Post by dartsyoungun »

Seems like a do or die situation to me. There is a lot of monies to be found and a BIG sponsor is a must but who. The PDC have the lions share of the firms putting money into sport at the moment i.e the bookies. Without Bobs money where do the BDO go. One thought about the dates of the respective championships - why do they need to be in January. Could the BDO benefit in having their championship in say April or September then darts fans would not be spent up after the PDC worlds. - just a thought
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

dartsyoungun wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 am Seems like a do or die situation to me. There is a lot of monies to be found and a BIG sponsor is a must but who. The PDC have the lions share of the firms putting money into sport at the moment i.e the bookies. Without Bobs money where do the BDO go. One thought about the dates of the respective championships - why do they need to be in January. Could the BDO benefit in having their championship in say April or September then darts fans would not be spent up after the PDC worlds. - just a thought
Fair point.. It does always suffer in comparison to the recently finished PDC championships.. but I would imagine it being far easier getting a week on TV in early January instead of a period when far more sports are going on at the same time.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

dartsyoungun wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 am Seems like a do or die situation to me. There is a lot of monies to be found and a BIG sponsor is a must but who. The PDC have the lions share of the firms putting money into sport at the moment i.e the bookies. Without Bobs money where do the BDO go. One thought about the dates of the respective championships - why do they need to be in January. Could the BDO benefit in having their championship in say April or September then darts fans would not be spent up after the PDC worlds. - just a thought
Holistically speaking, having the BDO World Championship either just before or just after the PDC World Championship would be best. We should expect BDO champions to want to go to the PDC and get support to do it immediately on the back of their win.

Currently it's in the best slot. The PDC takes a month off, so there's no direct competition, and the BDO World Championships are before the PDC UK Q School. But, with more cooperation, it might be that end of November or early December would be better. There's a 3-week window between the PDC Players Championship Finals and the World Championships.
DartsMadJohn
Steady Sixties

Post by DartsMadJohn »

At some point the BDO had to bite the bullet and find somewhere new - not only does Lakeside look dated but Bob Potter is in his 90s. You could imagine a scenario where Potter dies and the BDO top brass suddenly go into panic mode looking for somewhere to play host. At least they avoided that by getting a new venue at least.

Like others have said, who they find to sponsor it and who they get to fill it is another question.

Problem this year is - how many "stars" do the BDO actually have left now that Durrant's gone and the "name" players like Adams are either getting on, on the career downslide or both?

MVG as face of the PDC vs Scotty Dog as face of the BDO - let me think, what would I rather watch?

This is do or die - another World Trophy farce and the BDO are utterly screwed. At least the PDC's...."uniquely atmospheric"....UK Open was due to outside circumstances.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

It is in year 1 of a 3 year tv deal. It has this year to sort itself out, so I think the first one that matters is the Worlds at Indigo. But even with the Worlds it is 2021 that really matters.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

They have already had 1 WC with Eurosport out of the 3 year deal so only 2 left. However it’s still 3 more WDT and Masters.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

They can’t just write off this year though. If it tanks will they show the final year?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Don't forget....no one cares.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Great news.

I’m sure the BDO’s global brand will attract a horde of sponsors.

Lakey was unrivalled as a venue but things move on.

My first pilgrimage to the home of darts was truly a life changing moment and one I will cherish forever.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Embassy legends :)
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Not to sure which thread to put this in but a couple of folk (fanatics) not happy with that last Des interview.

Saying he is taking all the credit for the new developments (one person saying he is actually telling lies in that interview) without acknowledging other folk were instrumental in sorting some stuff out.

Seems like Des has had a good start but surely it would be wise of him to take less credit and acknowledge what other folk have done to help this good start. It would help his cause and strengthen the good start he has had.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Copy and paste it please
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm Not to sure which thread to put this in but a couple of folk (fanatics) not happy with that last Des interview.

Saying he is taking all the credit for the new developments (one person saying he is actually telling lies in that interview) without acknowledging other folk were instrumental in sorting some stuff out.

Seems like Des has had a good start but surely it would be wise of him to take less credit and acknowledge what other folk have done to help this good start. It would help his cause and strengthen the good start he has had.
Are people only just realizing this now? :roll:
Big Jock Knew
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

GtotheF wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 am Great news.

I’m sure the BDO’s global brand will attract a horde of sponsors.

Lakey was unrivalled as a venue but things move on.

My first pilgrimage to the home of darts was truly a life changing moment and one I will cherish forever.
God bless you Lakeside. Thanks for the memories.
UKDA 4 Life
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46 am
Proper darts. Brought a tear to all three of my eyes.
UKDA 4 Life
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

devosteve wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm Not to sure which thread to put this in but a couple of folk (fanatics) not happy with that last Des interview.

Kell supree!