39%
No
61%

Total votes: 49

ssjsa
International

Should the BDO pick Durrant for the Grand Slam

Post by ssjsa »

Seeing the debate on both here and Twitter, thought it would be worthwhile starting a thread and poll to gauge opinion on this.

I'll start it off with a big fat no.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
ChrisW
International

Re: Should the BDO pick Durrant for the Grand Slam

Post by ChrisW »

Was mentioned on RTL7 last night that he won't be picked by the BDO. 'From a reliable source'
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Whole thing is a farce.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

No
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

The Grand Slam would be better for having Durrant in it.. and the Grand Slam by its very name and nature should have the BDO World Champion in it.... But under the present rules I don't think its down to the BDO to pick him as one of their 8... but I think the PDC themselves should have him in as one of their qualifiers.. Ridiculous to have a Grand Slam with no BDO World Champ
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

trotter01 wrote:The Grand Slam would be better for having Durrant in it.. and the Grand Slam by its very name and nature should have the BDO World Champion in it.... But under the present rules I don't think its down to the BDO to pick him as one of their 8... but I think the PDC themselves should have him in as one of their qualifiers.. Ridiculous to have a Grand Slam with no BDO World Champ
The PDC have nobody to blame for this farce but themselves.
Big Jock Knew
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Ginge wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:53 pm
trotter01 wrote:The Grand Slam would be better for having Durrant in it.. and the Grand Slam by its very name and nature should have the BDO World Champion in it.... But under the present rules I don't think its down to the BDO to pick him as one of their 8... but I think the PDC themselves should have him in as one of their qualifiers.. Ridiculous to have a Grand Slam with no BDO World Champ
The PDC have nobody to blame for this farce but themselves.
Too true.. If they want the BDO World Champion to switch then they need to put it in their rules that there is a spot at the Grand Slam.. You cannot expect the BDO to sacrifice one of their own as the rules stand
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Be amusing if they picked the runner up in his place, that would put the bdo cat amongst the pdc pigeons so to speak, seriously though don’t see why bdo should pick durrant he made his decision it’s working out well making a nice life out of it hoovering up cash he’s not going to miss a bit by not playing one tournament,
County Player

Post by 1205 »

trotter01 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 pm The Grand Slam would be better for having Durrant in it.. and the Grand Slam by its very name and nature should have the BDO World Champion in it.... But under the present rules I don't think its down to the BDO to pick him as one of their 8... but I think the PDC themselves should have him in as one of their qualifiers.. Ridiculous to have a Grand Slam with no BDO World Champ
The current BDO World Champion is a PDC player who hasn't reached a PDC final or won a European Tour event, which by PDC criteria says he's not good enough (unless he wins through in a qualifier). It's up to the BDO as whether they should include him, and I don't think they should.

It should be seen as an opportunity for the top _BDO_ players to experience a PDC tournament atmosphere playing against PDC players. While the BDO level used to be more competitive, it can now be considered more aspirational.

The PDC could take some of the BDO spots and offer them to top Challenge Tour players. Certainly the top 2, who will be playing PDC next year. But I don't want them to stop bringing in the BDO players.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Whilst I laugh at the BDO on a daily basis-
The tournament was marketed from day one as the champions and tournament winners from the BDO and PDC pitting themselves against each other in a cross code comp.
It’s been nothing like that of late, pointless qualifiers and woeful BDO entrants have diluted it to no more than another legplay slugfest boring the pants off me.
I’ve said it time and time again, once all of the BDO players are out this tourney means nothing to me.
So yes, as far as I am concerned Glen should be in it, whether the BDO or PDC decide that I do not care.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

If bdo picks Glen the prize money won’t count on the rankings he good enough to come thru the qualifying
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

what does barry do with snooker when he wants a 'name' or 'legend' in the field?

he makes a slight change in the criteria and dobs them a wildcard, if he wants him in he can do that - he's not qualified fact and the criteria are fixed and he's not bdo so can't be their pick, simples

trouble is, he can also make a slight change and punish the bdo next time if he's being childish

champion of champions snooker coming up next mth, 440k prize fund, bazza changed the rules and has a bird qualified in the field who can't win a tour card let alone hold onto one and the world number 3 and multiple world champion mark Williams is not in it, jimmy white is on the reserve list

he does what he fecking wants anyway
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

2 women (suzuki and ashton)
Duzza
Scott waites
Jim William's
Harms
Veenstra
+1 parletti or Warren

I believe they will leave Leighton out due to his age and safeguarding.
JFT97
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

ChrisW wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:25 pm Was mentioned on RTL7 last night that he won't be picked by the BDO. 'From a reliable source'
Matt Porter confirmed that the PDC has the final say, and rightly so because it’s their tournament.
DamienBhoy
Pub Champion

Post by DamienBhoy »

Not too sure of the rules but the grand slam should ofcourse have the bdo world champion.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Definitely not, obviously.

Has he not qualified through his exploits this year?
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

He is the current BDO champion so yes under the rules he must be in.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Astonvilla wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm He is the current BDO champion so yes under the rules he must be in.
Agree with this. Just give the bdo 7 slots. Pdc have the upper hand here.

The bdo kind of need these invites. A big incentive for bdo players.

And when the gsod is on have Glen play under the 'bdo bsnner' as the reigning bdo world champion (which he is).your casual TV fan won't be bothered.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

:D
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

It's a fair point about the prize money on the rankings.... If Durrant does not meet the PDC qualification as it stands and gets in as a BDO pick or a last minute wildcard then any prize money should not go on the rankings...if it did it would be grossly unfair on other players in those rankings.