World Series of Darts 2020

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
malcy93
Pub Champion

World Series of Darts 2020

Post by malcy93 »

PDC have announced the first event for 2020.

They are moving the US event from Las Vegas to New York !
Is in the Hulu Theatre which is a side venue at Madison Square Gardens on 5th and 6th June.
https://www.pdc.tv/news/2019/11/20/worl ... -york-2020

This is the first of six events in 2020.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Re: World Series of Darts 2020

Post by malcy93 »

If they keep 2 in Australia, 1 in NZ and the 1 in Germany.
Leaves 1 more to be announced.

Is this likely to be somewhere in Asia ? or the rumoured one in Scandinavia after the ET pulled out of Copenhagen in 2020.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Not cheap
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Dannyboy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:27 pmNot cheap
Flights are cheaper to New York than Las Vegas but from my last visit hotels cost a fortune unless you stay in a real dive.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Going to give this serious consideration. Would mean rejigging my holidays from work, but have really enjoyed this event the twice went to Vegas.

Presume the North American qualifiers will be the two days before.

Never been to New York, so would be great to go and see the Big Apple.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

And hopefully a Trump free USA.
O C
Superleague Player

Post by O C »

Hmm, I'm going to give this some serious consideration too. My wife has no desire to go to Vegas, but she and my daughters would be interested in a trip to NY. Might even be able to get a few more family members to join us. Of course I would probably be the only one at the darts unless my brother comes along :)
I wonder if the turnout for both the qualifiers and spectators will be higher. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression the NE USA has a pretty good contingent of players. Early June is good too at least from my point of view.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm And hopefully a Trump free USA.
He’s in power until the end of 2020, as election’s next year.
No idea what Trump has to do with darts unless it’s keeping out some undesirables.
Wouldn’t give Cadby a visa for a start :)
Britishnewf
Brass Darts

Post by Britishnewf »

Gutted when I seen this (though had a feeling something was on the go with Vegas as a venue once the calendar was announced) as don’t think I can get the time off work. And was actually really hoping to see the darts back in Vegas....will probably end up returning to Vegas as a stand-alone trip.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

That will be on 11pm to 3am UK time for day 1 Surprised as the Vegas even was not done us times
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

O C wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm Hmm, I'm going to give this some serious consideration too. My wife has no desire to go to Vegas, but she and my daughters would be interested in a trip to NY. Might even be able to get a few more family members to join us. Of course I would probably be the only one at the darts unless my brother comes along :)
I wonder if the turnout for both the qualifiers and spectators will be higher. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression the NE USA has a pretty good contingent of players. Early June is good too at least from my point of view.
Ask the jacklin corp for advice, they are experts at organising jollies to darts tournaments for no reward......
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
O C
Superleague Player

Post by O C »

ILAD wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 pm
O C wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm Hmm, I'm going to give this some serious consideration too. My wife has no desire to go to Vegas, but she and my daughters would be interested in a trip to NY. Might even be able to get a few more family members to join us. Of course I would probably be the only one at the darts unless my brother comes along :)
Ask the jacklin corp for advice, they are experts at organising jollies to darts tournaments for no reward......
Good advice...between travel for four, lodging, expenses, and the shopping and Broadway shows, I'd have to win the whole thing to break even. :grin: :darts
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Have I got this right? The PDC have announced that next year they're moving one of their relatively meaningless international exbos from the place that has been it's natural home for years to a small, reasonably insignificant side room at a world renowned venue?

You've got to admit, that's world class trolling.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Yes the Hulu Theatre is a 2,000 to 5,000 depending upon seating layout venue which is part of the Madison Square Gardens complex but isn’t the main 20,000 seat arena they use for NHL ice hockey, NBA basketball and Boxing.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm And hopefully a Trump free USA.
Sadly Trump will romp it.

The US left are eating themselves in a "woke" contest that appeals to no-one in mainstream America.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

THE PDC's World Series of Darts is to return to Hamilton's Claudelands Arena on August 21-22 2020 following the huge success of the NZ Darts Masters earlier this year.

World number one Michael van Gerwen took victory when the World Series made its Hamilton debut in 2019 as part of the international circuit of events held annually.

2019 World Matchplay champion Rob Cross, former World Champion Gary Anderson and colourful Peter Wright also competed in Hamilton this year and would be in line to return in 2020.

The eight PDC stars travelling to New Zealand may also include Gerwyn Price, who recently won his second successive Grand Slam of Darts title in the UK and has moved up to third on the PDC Order of Merit.

Eight Oceanic representatives will also compete as the top talents from New Zealand and Australia take on the sport's biggest names in the two-day World Series event.

"It's fantastic for us to be able to return to Hamilton for the NZ Darts Masters in 2020, following what was a really successful debut at the Claudelands Arena in August," said PDC chief executive Matthew Porter.

"The World Series of Darts continues to go from strength to strength and the NZ Darts Masters will be our last of six worldwide events in 2020 as our top stars compete globally against the best local talent.

"It's been great to see the progression of darts in New Zealand in recent years as more players make their mark at the top level, and this will be another great opportunity for them to play against the sport's top names in front of their home fans."

Hamilton City Council General Manager of Venues, Tourism and Major Events Sean Murray said: “We’re excited to welcome the NZ Darts Masters back to Claudelands for a second consecutive year.

“The NZ Darts Masters was a highlight on Claudelands’ event calendar this year and we’re thrilled to see the top players in darts return next year. We look forward to building on the success of the inaugural tournament and providing an even better experience for fans in 2020.”

Tickets for the 2020 NZ Darts Masters will go on sale in January, however fans can sign up to receive further information via this link. Ticket prices and session times will be confirmed in due course.

2020 NZ Darts Masters
Claudelands Arena, Hamilton
Friday August 21
First Round x8

Saturday August 22
Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, Final

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Britishnewf
Brass Darts

Post by Britishnewf »

malcy93 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 am Yes the Hulu Theatre is a 2,000 to 5,000 depending upon seating layout venue which is part of the Madison Square Gardens complex but isn’t the main 20,000 seat arena they use for NHL ice hockey, NBA basketball and Boxing.
Even 2-5000 seems like too big a venue for this event? They would fill it in the UK or Germany/Holland but not sure about this.

Though I’m still sad it’s not in in Las Vegas anymore!
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Britishnewf wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:56 pm
malcy93 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 am Yes the Hulu Theatre is a 2,000 to 5,000 depending upon seating layout venue which is part of the Madison Square Gardens complex but isn’t the main 20,000 seat arena they use for NHL ice hockey, NBA basketball and Boxing.
Even 2-5000 seems like too big a venue for this event? They would fill it in the UK or Germany/Holland but not sure about this.

Yeh Vegas is shit, well apart from the Open.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Don't be so sure - who would've thought that the World Championship could sell 75,000 tickets in one day?

It's in a better location as the NE of North America is the darts hotbed in the region.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Dannyboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:16 am

Don't be so sure - who would've thought that the World Championship could sell 75,000 tickets in one day?

It's in a better location as the NE of North America is the darts hotbed in the region.
Bet this is welcome news to darts fans in Canada tbf