BDO Cash Grab! - now embarassingly retracted

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: BDO Cash Grab!

Post by Ginge »

Bag Carrier wrote:
devosteve wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:09 pm
Bag Carrier wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:36 am Dutch open will be about £10k as a rough guess with 5% paid and £2 from every entry.

I have said for years countries should pay to have BDO points, It makes business sense to me, But they have never done this.

Making the £2 levy is the BDO's way of trying to compete with the WDF IMO as I feel there worried about the rumours of the WDF moving in there own direction with events and the Lakeside being touted as the venue and certain people that have left the BDO helping them out.

I can see a boycott on this from countries and it will be the players that have booked up chasing BDO points that will loose out.

The season and rules start from October and so should anything like this.
I see you disagree with the timing but agree with principle of.paying for points. Guess it brings cash in for the BDO.

Is it just the levy or also the 5% you agree with?
I agree with the 5% levy and this should be enough and no need for the extra £2 per player.
Events will have to add £2 per player on to pay for it anyway.
Big Jock Knew
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am First up, no way in this life or the next did Tommy write the EDO response. It's got long words and proper punctuation and stuff.

So having been away all weekend and only just catching up, have I got this right? Des, having failed to generate any sponsors (you know, the sponsors he's had lined up for over a year) and realising the cupboard is bare, has decided to keep the good ship BDO afloat by launching some sort of half-arsed Ponzi scheme, only the people at the bottom being shafted have cottoned on to that fact long before those at the top have successfully cashed in?

This all just gets better by the day.
Prob Howard Miller
JFT97
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:49 pm
Bag Carrier wrote:
devosteve wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:09 pm
Bag Carrier wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:36 am Dutch open will be about £10k as a rough guess with 5% paid and £2 from every entry.

I have said for years countries should pay to have BDO points, It makes business sense to me, But they have never done this.

Making the £2 levy is the BDO's way of trying to compete with the WDF IMO as I feel there worried about the rumours of the WDF moving in there own direction with events and the Lakeside being touted as the venue and certain people that have left the BDO helping them out.

I can see a boycott on this from countries and it will be the players that have booked up chasing BDO points that will loose out.

The season and rules start from October and so should anything like this.
I see you disagree with the timing but agree with principle of.paying for points. Guess it brings cash in for the BDO.

Is it just the levy or also the 5% you agree with?
I agree with the 5% levy and this should be enough and no need for the extra £2 per player.
Events will have to add £2 per player on to pay for it anyway.
So that could work at at an extra £4 each minimum. Not a massive amount (1 pint) but the majority wont want to pay this.
JFT97
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Well as WDF players commissioner all monies paid into the WDF are fully accountable to its members , I've now been to 3 BDO AGM's and yet to see a full breakdown of accounts on tournaments."

Fair point from deta re monies given to the 2 orgs.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

What happens if no organisations pay the BDO levy???

Can the BDO hold the 2022 worlds without a tour?

Invitation only worlds?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

TheSandman wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm What happens if no organisations pay the BDO levy???

Invitation only worlds?
They haven't thought it through imo. Financial troubles causing them to make decisions as they go along.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Rumour/comment that the BDO will pull this levy etc until 2020 after letters received from England and the Dutch.

Point being the bdo cannot afford to lose both these orgs
greatkingrat
Steady Sixties

Post by greatkingrat »

TheSandman wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm What happens if no organisations pay the BDO levy???

Invitation only worlds?
Then the rankings will be based entirely on the results of the Northern Cyprus Open.
TheVillan
The Ton Club

Post by TheVillan »

devosteve wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm Rumour/comment that the BDO will pull this levy etc until 2020 after letters received from England and the Dutch.

Point being the bdo cannot afford to lose both these orgs
Oh, hold on, our stable is in Lincolnshire? The horses housed here appear to be approaching Kent!
Tommy T-Rex
The Ton Club

Post by Tommy T-Rex »

Thierry is not happy!
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Tommy T-Rex wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 pm Thierry is not happy!
You know the BDO is in the shit if Thierry is not happy.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Tommy T-Rex wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 pm Thierry is not happy!
:DDD:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

markymark wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:27 am Why did they fall for that line?
Anyone remotely connected to the PDC is truly Satan. That sort of world view.

Ignore the fact that Roger is a genuinely successful businessman and Des is a pretend one.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Invitation only worlds?
If I thought for one minute that Des was bright enough, I'd suggest this was the plan all along.

An invitational ladies world championship featuring Paula and 15 Scottish county B team players.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I have to say the last few weeks have been as stressful as I can ever remember in my long darting career. So much uncertainty around where the BDO go from here, or in fact if the BDO has a future at all, and where will that leave us, no doubting that behind the scenes there must (I hope) be loads of time and effort to get us all through this situation.

There is so much bad publicity at the moment which obviously will impact on sales for the O2 and the World Championships, whose success is vital, if after January, there is a BDO.

I know lots of times as an organiser you get flack, and people don’t realise the facts they give you the flack on, and you take it on the chin, but the situation created by the BDO on Thursday, is so counter production, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, whilst we are trying to promote a World Championships, to sell tickets, well I really cannot see a worst case scenario. We have players now asking us are we going to have ranking points on our tournaments, to which the only answer I can give is we applied and were granted ranking points on 1st October 2019, if we are not being awarded ranking points that is for the BDO to tell England in writing, as yet we have had no communication from the BDO despite us asking for clarification on this issue.

I really hope the World Championships are a success, that in January, all the prize monies have been paid out from the event to the players, and that the BDO marches forward as a viable company promoting darts, all of this however is far from helpful."

TT on Facebook.

He is right about the timing of this. And why no reply to him/England darts?

I still think the bdo will back track on this announcement.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

devosteve wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 am He is right about the timing of this. And why no reply to him/England darts?

I still think the bdo will back track on this announcement.
No answer cos Herr komediant Des has run away to avoid the flak to Tenerife for the week.

There will be no backtrack this will be a line in the sand moment to give Des the easy option to walk away from the uber mess he has created with a back me or sack me stance to the counties etc.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Apparently loads of meetings going on across various orgs. Seems most likely that they will be backing the WDF.
Scotland and Wales on there way, as for England then who knows, but you can bet they will be preparing for it......

This really does seem to the final straw, unless the BDO backtrack it is looking really really bad.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

They have to backtrack, at least delay it until October, and even then a lot of orgs will tell them to do one.
Big Jock Knew
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

His "board" of talents have really done a great job steering the good ship BDO.

Not to say this wasn't always going to happen eventually, but maybe a more realistic plan for what is left of the top end would have made a more sustainable organisation.

I know Unvle Barry isn't in day-to-day control of the PDC these days, but I bet he took less holidays when he did.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

For so long we've been told those points were "worth their weight in gold".

Turns out they're not even worth 2 quid a head on the entry fee.