BDO Cash Grab! - now embarassingly retracted

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Dannyboy
International

Re: BDO Cash Grab!

Post by Dannyboy »

markymark wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:17 pm His "board" of talents have really done a great job steering the good ship BDO.

Not to say this wasn't always going to happen eventually, but maybe a more realistic plan for what is left of the top end would have made a more sustainable organisation.

I know Unvle Barry isn't in day-to-day control of the PDC these days, but I bet he took less holidays when he did.
Steering her well.... Iceberg ahoy!!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:40 am
TheSandman wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm What happens if no organisations pay the BDO levy???

Can the BDO hold the 2022 worlds without a tour?

Invitation only worlds?
If I thought for one minute that Des was bright enough, I'd suggest this was the plan all along.

An invitational ladies world championship featuring Paula and 15 Scottish county B team players.
She'd still lose 2-0 first round at the mere sight of a TV camera.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Ginge wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm They have to backtrack, at least delay it until October, and even then a lot of orgs will tell them to do one.
But can they financially leave it till October?

I think not. Two more majors have to be planned and played by then. The Worlds would have to planned and in place. With all the rumours and talk going on the BDO can’t wait till then.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Ginge wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm They have to backtrack, at least delay it until October, and even then a lot of orgs will tell them to do one.

I think not. Two more majors have to be planned and played by then. The Worlds would have to planned and in place. With all the rumours and talk going on the BDO can’t wait till then.
The number of ranking events to be played before the end of Jan is minimal, they cant delay paying players long past then. This scheme isnt going to be raising huge sums for them very quickly whatsoever.

Big Jock Knew
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Ginge wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm
The Jolly Man wrote:

The number of ranking events to be played before the end of Jan is minimal, they cant delay paying players long past then. This scheme isnt going to be raising huge sums for them very quickly whatsoever.
I think the WC money is from things I have heard from sponsors.

But after the Jan payment to players, Who knows what is left if any to run more events on TV.
JFT97
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Bag Carrier wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:03 pm
The Jolly Man wrote:

But after the Jan payment to players, Who knows what is left if any to run more events on TV.
Has Ana been given any timescale yet as to when she is likely receive her WC contract.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ssjsa wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 am
Has Ana been given any timescale yet as to when she is likely receive her WC contract.
Or when any likely prize money would be paid ?
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

The Jolly Man wrote:

I do love a good sponsor that doesn't like to be known. That is unless the headline sponsors are picking it up.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

The Jolly Man wrote:

Sponsors? seriously
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

everyones going to look a bit silly if mike ashley sponsors the thing, loves a struggling brand / organisation hes your obvious fit & has previous form, or it could be Epax transport, however as long as someone covers the prize money then ok, even if its wibbly wobbly windows of shifty draughty lane that end up as title sponsors, but what do i know ,
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

only85 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 am everyones going to look a bit silly if mike ashley sponsors the thing
If he puts in the entire fund then yes. We both know that wont be happening, just like it never happened the last time he did.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

only85 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 am everyones going to look a bit silly if mike ashley sponsors the thing, loves a struggling brand / organisation hes your obvious fit & has previous form, or it could be Epax transport, however as long as someone covers the prize money then ok, even if its wibbly wobbly windows of shifty draughty lane that end up as title sponsors, but what do i know ,
Indeed he does, but only ones he knows he can turn a profit from in the long run. He's running a retail empire, not a charitable trust.

If he's figured out a way to make money from the BDO he truly is a genius.

It's no secret he only got involved in the past because Sue was desperate enough to offer him a decent amount of brand exposure for a fraction of it's value.
If the BDO truly are as potless as people are suggesting then there's no way that sort of sponsorship deal will help.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Also got this as well....

Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

He's not seriously expecting an answer is he?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:17 pm He's not seriously expecting an answer is he?
Probably not, just lobbing another spanner in the works I would suggest.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Poor Des is having a bit of a nightmare today, isn't he?
It's enough to put you off your San Miguel.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

This cash grab clearly shows that the board had no idea about the news that has hit them today.

5% of prize fund? Really?
£2 levy? For what?

The whole thing has crumbled in a day.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

It's ok because it's lovely and warm and everyone is having a good time.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Has the cash grab been retracted. Someone on fanatics said it was but a letter was deleted. Then poster said check on tsod to see it.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Seen the letter on Sharon Butler Facebook page.

Apologies from Frank and the cash grab is in fact annulled.