BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Skewball »

bishbashbosh180 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am
Skewball wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:07 pm
bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Ginge wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:29 pm £775k cash in bank (both companies added together) as of end May 2018 accounts. No way they have got through over half of that since.
The high number was asset value not cash. Was more like 680. Made a 450K lose through May of this year and have been burning money
ever since. So forecast Net cash position post World champs would be about -500K before ticket income. So I would not fancy being the
person in court arguing they are not trading themselves off a cliff.

Given both companies are controlled by the same board would think they are using BICC cash to keep the doors open so if one entity
crashes almost certainly both will go down.
This sounds realistic. Have you, or someone you know seen the latest annual accounts early?
They get filed in Feb so I assume they have been prepared a whole now.
They really are up shit creek.
450 came from Des. At best 100K of income from sponsors and events. Eurosport had not paid 2 weeks ago and standard Media contracts of this size have loads of wiggle room so question if they will pay it all. About 400K of operating cost and commissions based previous event cost levels and and operating burn rate.
Cheers, ah yes ok, the number he quoted at the AGM. From your numbers is does sound like they are now working hand to mouth.

So in 18 months with Des in charge they have gone from £680k down to basically zero . Now of course he will say, and probably quite rightly that he was tied into bad contracts when he started - but if that is the case any good 'business man' (lol) would have made their number 1 priority sorting out those, re-negotiating them and/or making life difficult so that the partners had literally no choice but to change/fall in line. He could have refused to hold more tournaments etc on the basis that it was taking the company into financial distress - an easy way to get out of various contractual clauses.
But oh no, his ego took over and he carried on running loss making events- WDT and even the Masters (which he could have scaled right down in both years). He then signed up for Venue and TV deals that - WITH NO SPONSORS ON BOARD - the BDO simply could not afford . His number one critical mistake was committing to events with no sponsors in place. He gambled, there is no other way of looking at it.

And of course we know that he realised his mistake - because Ive heard from 2 people that guess what, he went begging to Bob Potter literally about 4 or 5 weeks ago (just before tickets went on sale and the 02 was actually 'signed' formally) ... to hold the Worlds..... !! (i think this has been mentioned on here?)
Last edited by Skewball on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakesideligger
Steady Sixties

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by lakesideligger »

Double Flops wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 pm On Monday there is a meeting in Amsterdam between the WDF and nations ...Got this information from a person who is invited.
I also have it, on very good authority, that there have been discussions with the PDC prior to this meeting.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am

And of course we know that he realised his mistake - because Ive heard from 2 people that guess what, he went begging to Bob Potter literally about 4 or 5 weeks ago (just before tickets went on sale and the 02 was actually 'signed' formally) ... to hold the Worlds..... !! (i think this has been mentioned on here?)
I still dont believe his ego would allow him to actually do this.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:24 am
Skewball wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am

I still dont believe his ego would allow him to actually do this.
apparently so.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Oh Christ he’s on turbomong mode this morning. Get some sleep mate.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Black Velvet wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 am Oh Christ he’s on turbomong mode this morning. Get some sleep mate.
for us working people this is normal. I'm up, at work early and was just finishing my coffee before cracking on with the day ahead.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Busy day of counting tickets ahead! Get some fresh air if you can.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ginge wrote:Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
Maybe it was a contingency plan or to get him to shut the fuck up about running an event alongside them
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:56 am
Ginge wrote:Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
Maybe it was a contingency plan or to get him to shut the fek up about running an event alongside them
Ah, so going to see Potter to threaten him? Sounds more plausible than begging.
Big Jock Knew
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Nonono, he was desperately begging Potter to take them back 😂
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Indeed. Especially since the Lakeside event is mysteriously not happening now.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Black Velvet wrote:Nonono, he was desperately begging Potter to take them back Image
Yup. That's what happened.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am
Black Velvet wrote:Nonono, he was desperately begging Potter to take them back Image
I will respectfully disagree on that one, not his style at all. Des hates Lakeside and do you really think he would go crawling cap in hand back to him after all the o2 fanfare, given what we know about him? Makes no sense whatsoever (apart from business sense, but we know that doesnt apply here)
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:04 am
Skewball wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am
I will respectfully disagree on that one, not his style at all. Des hates Lakeside and do you really think he would go crawling cap in hand back to him after all the o2 fanfare, given what we know about him? Makes no sense whatsoever (apart from business sense, but we know that doesnt apply here)
yes, I am not entirely disagreeing, just passing on what has been said by more than one person. It is feasible if Des knew that it really is the end for him after the 02. Probably why he then said a couple of weeks later at the Masters that he woudl resign after the Worlds. I think the games up for him , and he knew it back then.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 pm From Des

Dear all Counties,
As I am sure most of you are aware the BDO have received a formal letter from the WDF. The BDO board felt we ought to write to you all now to keep you in the picture so to speak.
I received the same letter that you have all seen on social media (and the same letter circulated by England darts) from the WDF yesterday 3rd December, this was the first contact I had with the WDF regarding this issue.
I can confirm that the BDO have had no opportunity to defend itself and it would seem that the WDF have acted purely on information gathered from social media and hearsay.
Social media is playing a huge part in this issue with statements being made from many players and County officials, (all names have been noted) even the England chairman has completely ignored the legal disclaimer on the bottom of the letter and sent it out to all Counties ?
This issue is now in the hands of the BDO Solicitor and after initial consultation with our legal advisers, it would seem that this letter from the WDF is in many ways unlawful.
In my estimation it feels like the BDO are trying to introduce a strategy to become self-supporting in trying to get ourselves into a position of stability, but we are not allowed to do that ? It just feels like every day is another battle with someone trying to kill the company.
What I can tell you all is that in any event the County system will not be affected.
I will not go into to much more detail but I do promise you updates as and when I get them. Regards
Des Jacklin
Well its on the WDF website now Desmond!

https://www.dartswdf.com/wp-content/upl ... ONING-.pdf

Although they havent changed the membership type on here yet:

https://www.dartswdf.com/wp-content/upl ... bsites.pdf
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Double Flops wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 pm On Monday there is a meeting in Amsterdam between the WDF and nations ...Got this information from a person who is invited.
I mentioned that on page 11 of this thread. I guess you know what the purpose of the meeting is about re your friends invite?

Someone said NDB taking on the next WC?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

devosteve wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:23 am
I mentioned that on page 11 of this thread. I guess you know what the purpose of the meeting is about re your friends invite?

Someone said NDB taking on the next WC?
There will be a WDF 'World' championships in early December 2020. Probably in Holland (workign with NDB). Effectively amalgamating the 'old' BDO Masters and World Pro.

That's my guess.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Two World Championships in December, great :roll: have it at a different time of year ffs!
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:29 am Two World Championships in December, great :roll: have it at a different time of year ffs!
i'm only guessing, but Its not a daft time to hold it, give something for the Dutchies to do at the similar time of year. I agree if it was in the UK it would be a little harder.