BDO not paying its bills?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
meetthefeebles
County Player

Re: BDO not paying its bills?

Post by meetthefeebles »

Ginge wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:28 pm
meetthefeebles wrote:
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:22 pm Regardless of the financial situation it is time for the remaining players to think about being pro active about encouraging or forcing change. They should get together and form a proper union with some influence to collectively speak up and positively encourage changes. Adams could lead the way.

If they all participated in being a collective voice, it means when you are knocking on the door for answers the knock can't be ignored.

Instead many to choose whinge on Facebook or Youtube. That has not worked.
What is the point? The whole thing is f*cked. There is no-one at the other side of the door anymore to even try to speak to collectively, the organisation has been stripped of it's WDF affiliation, there is no money whatsoever to pay for anything and the only players left are the ones who are too hopeless to get a PDC tour-card.

The game is up. There is no come-back from this point.
There are also contracts that the company are tied into. Only way out of those is liquidation of the whole thing.
Fekkin Martin Adams isnt a magician who can cancel a 10 year contract with the o2 after one year.
You'd hope that the contracts have break-clauses to help get them out of this mess. But they won't have. Look at that shambolic Sportotal contract the plums signed.

Like I said, the game is up. What the players do, or don't do, from this point is utterly irrelevant. The BDO is bankrupt and, after tomorrow is done, it will be wound up.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

The BDO is still marketable in the right hands. It is an alternative to the PDC both for the players and viewers. Some players enjoy the BDO lifestyle. Some ladies need a proper ladies tour. Some semi-pros do not want to spend their free time playing darts and see darts as more of a hobby. Some viewers want something different to MVG vs Wright.

Need I remind you all that the final Lakeside on BBC drew better viewing figures than the PDC tournament that replaced it. There is an audience for the BDO. It's just needs the right people at the helm and the procedure to be followed through with properly.

I am not saying that the BDO can compete with the PDC. Hearn has won the battle for the professional side of the game and will make money for years to come. But there is a place for the BDO, even in these times where darts in on the decline.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

By next week, there will be no BDO. The ship has sailed and the jig is up. It is bankrupt. There is no money left to even pay prize money.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I have been told that they are also waiting for a £160k contract installment payment from Eurosport but I dont believe the amounts involved are that high for a second.
Big Jock Knew
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

meetthefeebles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm By next week, there will be no BDO. The ship has sailed and the jig is up. It is bankrupt. There is no money left to even pay prize money.
Speculation at this point. No one knows the real story.

Besides, if the BDO dies, perhaps someone will step in to fill the void. Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for darts in general. At least in its current state.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Ginge wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 pm I have been told that they are also waiting for a £160k contract installment payment from Eurosport but I dont believe the amounts involved are that high for a second.
More speculation, gossip and rumours.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

I think wdf world champions next year if not then 0 one will take place
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:39 pm
meetthefeebles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm By next week, there will be no BDO. The ship has sailed and the jig is up. It is bankrupt. There is no money left to even pay prize money.

Besides, if the BDO dies, perhaps someone will step in to fill the void. Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for darts in general. At least in its current state.
You do not need to have inside knowledge to see that the BDO is bankrupt. Even the players are on social media talking about tomorrow being 'the last final'. The situation is in plain sight.

By all accounts the WDF are likely to provide a 'BDO-style' alternative to the PDC professional circuit. They cannot, absolutely cannot, do a worse job than these clowns. BUt whether that happens or not, one thing is clear. Darts as has been for the last three decades is coming to an end this week.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Speculation.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Even Darryl Fitton said on Twitter its the last one
Big Jock Knew
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

meetthefeebles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:33 pm
meetthefeebles wrote:
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:22 pm Regardless of the financial situation it is time for the remaining players to think about being pro active about encouraging or forcing change. They should get together and form a proper union with some influence to collectively speak up and positively encourage changes. Adams could lead the way.

If they all participated in being a collective voice, it means when you are knocking on the door for answers the knock can't be ignored.

What is the point? The whole thing is f*cked. There is no-one at the other side of the door anymore to even try to speak to collectively, the organisation has been stripped of it's WDF affiliation, there is no money whatsoever to pay for anything and the only players left are the ones who are too hopeless to get a PDC tour-card.

There are also contracts that the company are tied into. Only way out of those is liquidation of the whole thing.
Fekkin Martin Adams isnt a magician who can cancel a 10 year contract with the o2 after one year.
You'd hope that the contracts have break-clauses to help get them out of this mess. But they won't have. Look at that shambolic Sportotal contract the plums signed.

Like I said, the game is up. What the players do, or don't do, from this point is utterly irrelevant. The BDO is bankrupt and, after tomorrow is done, it will be wound up.
In a previous life, have been heavily involved in negotiating Retail leases, and along with pushing for rent free agreements, break clauses were an integral part of any pre signing terms.

Personally, would be pretty confident that when Des commited to a 10 year agreement with the Indigo, the only benefit he negotiated was the first year which resulted in the BDO retaining all ticket revenue.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ssjsa wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:46 pm
meetthefeebles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:33 pm
meetthefeebles wrote:

In a previous life, have been heavily involved in negotiating Retail leases, and along with pushing for rent free agreements, break clauses were an integral part of any pre signing terms.

Personally, would be pretty confident that when Des commited to a 10 year agreement with the Indigo, the only benefit he negotiated was the first year which resulted in the BDO retaining all ticket revenue.
Pauly said that something like this was the case when i spoke with him at the WDT. Sounds about right to me.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:35 pm The BDO is still marketable in the right hands. It is an alternative to the PDC both for the players and viewers. Some players enjoy the BDO lifestyle. Some ladies need a proper ladies tour. Some semi-pros do not want to spend their free time playing darts and see darts as more of a hobby. Some viewers want something different to MVG vs Wright.

Need I remind you all that the final Lakeside on BBC drew better viewing figures than the PDC tournament that replaced it. There is an audience for the BDO. It's just needs the right people at the helm and the procedure to be followed through with properly.

I am not saying that the BDO can compete with the PDC. Hearn has won the battle for the professional side of the game and will make money for years to come. But there is a place for the BDO, even in these times where darts in on the decline.
The BDO Lifestyle - how dare a thing like money affect Scott Mitchell’s drinking weekends?
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Dannyboy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 am
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:35 pm The BDO is still marketable in the right hands. It is an alternative to the PDC both for the players and viewers. Some players enjoy the BDO lifestyle. Some ladies need a proper ladies tour. Some semi-pros do not want to spend their free time playing darts and see darts as more of a hobby. Some viewers want something different to MVG vs Wright.

The BDO Lifestyle - how dare a thing like money affect Scott Mitchell’s drinking weekends?
I mean that some players like to work full time and play as a hobby. Same as those who play county. Those who take this route tend to be very happy. After all, it's a pub game. It isn't really meant to be a professional sport.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

ChrisW wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 pm

Speculation.
I actually think they are pissing tens of thousands of pounds away and not allowing any voices to be heard.The TV situation is the worst its ever been.

But as they hide and hardly communicate. No one has a clue whats happening.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Wazza180 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 am

I mean that some players like to work full time and play as a hobby. Same as those who play county. Those who take this route tend to be very happy. After all, it's a pub game. It isn't really meant to be a professional sport.
Yeah there’s 15 million reasons why it’s not a professional sport.
And you don’t pay tax on past times or pub games...
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

What we have been watching the past week is the World Professional Championships is it not o great unemployed one?
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

How much the players earn is of zero interest to me. Why? Because I'm not a top darts player or his agent. Whether a darts organisation calls their world championship a professional championship is also irrelevant really. Even if I rather they didn't.

Hypothetically I want a darts organisation to have half a dozen comps on a year with a combination of players in it. A good mix of tournies with their own identity, but with large but respectful audiences. A governing body who puts ethics and sport above money and a non profit one at that. And one who is no ashamed of the roots of the game.

I can't be clearer than that.
craigmc
Superleague Player

Post by craigmc »

Wazza180 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 am How much the players earn is of zero interest to me. Why? Because I'm not a top darts player or his agent. Whether a darts organisation calls their world championship a professional championship is also irrelevant really. Even if I rather they didn't.

Hypothetically I want a darts organisation to have half a dozen comps on a year with a combination of players in it. A good mix of tournies with their own identity, but with large but respectful audiences. A governing body who puts ethics and sport above money and a non profit one at that. And one who is no ashamed of the roots of the game.

I can't be clearer than that.
Your posts,combined with really poor darts have made this week a real chore. Bog off into oblivion with your BDO.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wazza180 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 am

I'm sure Mitchell prefers 80 hour weeks starting at 5am knee-deep in shit to playing darts for a living full-time.

I mean, who wouldn't?