BDO not paying its bills?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
NvH
The Ton Club

Re: BDO not paying its bills?

Post by NvH »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:21 am
Skewball wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am
Wazza180 wrote:If the BDO folds it will change the face of the game overnight. Millions play under the bdo banner currently. They are playing under the titanic pyramid system that is the lakeside world professional darts championship. That championship is directly tied to the bdo. You take it away and things to start to unravel a bit.
What a muppet. You are either trolling or clueless how Darts actually runs at grass roots level in this country.
Your looking a fool at the moment but look potentially like a good contributor. Sort yourself out.
I'm entitled to my opinion. I'm sorry if it offends you. I'm not going to pretend I think differently to please you or others.
You aren't entitled to your own facts though. "Millions play under the BDO banner" is simply untrue.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

NvH wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 am
Wazza180 wrote:If the BDO folds it will change the face of the game overnight. Millions play under the bdo banner currently. They are playing under the titanic pyramid system that is the lakeside world professional darts championship. That championship is directly tied to the bdo. You take it away and things to start to unravel a bit.
What a muppet. You are either trolling or clueless how Darts actually runs at grass roots level in this country.
Your looking a fool at the moment but look potentially like a good contributor. Sort yourself out.
I'm entitled to my opinion. I'm sorry if it offends you. I'm not going to pretend I think differently to please you or others.
You aren't entitled to your own facts though. "Millions play under the BDO banner" is simply untrue.
It does make me laugh when people talk about the wdf and bdo like they are two rival organisations. The Lakeside is what was at the top of the pyramid. What players under these organisations fought to compete in.

With the BDO Worlds possibly done, there is nothing at the top of the pyramid. This could hurt darts. But it is one of several problems currently emerging with the game.

I think we will look back in 10 years and realise that this is where darts' peak started to end. The PDC will still make money, but the game won't be as popular or have as many people compete in it.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Stop it.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm
It does make me laugh when people talk about the wdf and bdo like they are two rival organisations. The Lakeside is what was at the top of the pyramid. What players under these organisations fought to compete in.

With the BDO Worlds possibly done, there is nothing at the top of the pyramid. This could hurt darts. But it is one of several problems currently emerging with the game.

I think we will look back in 10 years and realise that this is where darts' peak started to end. The PDC will still make money, but the game won't be as popular or have as many people compete in it.
Any chance we could wait and see without you reminding us every five minutes it's going to happen? We take your point - no need to keep harping on and on about it.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Murphio wrote:
Skewball wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am What a muppet. You are either trolling or clueless how Darts actually runs at grass roots level in this country.

Any chance we could wait and see without you reminding us every five minutes it's going to happen? We take your point - no need to keep harping on and on about it.
No no no no if the BDO Worlds goes everyone in pubs will have to stop playing darts.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

The top of the pyramid is the PDC worlds there is a clear path and a quite easy pyramid to follow just different routes

1. Pub - Super League - County - BDO - QS - PDC Worlds

2. Pub - Super League - Opens - QS - PDC Worlds

And really you will get as far as your ability allows you via either route

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm I think we will look back in 10 years and realise that this is where darts' peak started to end. The PDC will still make money, but the game won't be as popular or have as many people compete in it.
The darts peak started to end in 1988 . Darts has never been as popular since then in either viewing figures or people regularly playing the game and if you used the number of people playing darts and when that started to decline as a peak then that would be around the 50's.

In 10 years time i think it will be more a case of people forgetting all about the BDO being on TV etc and having their 'own' world championships as by then the PDC will be firmly entrenched , if it isn't already, as the main public body and known brand of darts.
History will only record the ironic footnote of the BDO that it died as the same time as its founder.
Thehateful180
The Ton Club

Post by Thehateful180 »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm
Murphio wrote:

No no no no if the BDO Worlds goes everyone in pubs will have to stop playing darts.
It will be like the end of Avengers: Infinity war. The second the BDO folds, all the pub players, county players, and superleague players will vanish into dust on the spot.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Thehateful180 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm
Ginge wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm
Murphio wrote:

It will be like the end of Avengers: Infinity war. The second the BDO folds, all the pub players, county players, and superleague players will vanish into dust on the spot.
:DDD: :DDD:
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

el_ringo wrote:
The top of the pyramid is the PDC worlds there is a clear path and a quite easy pyramid to follow just different routes

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm I think we will look back in 10 years and realise that this is where darts' peak started to end. The PDC will still make money, but the game won't be as popular or have as many people compete in it.
The darts peak started to end in 1988 . Darts has never been as popular since then in either viewing figures or people regularly playing the game and if you used the number of people playing darts and when that started to decline as a peak then that would be around the 50's.

In 10 years time i think it will be more a case of people forgetting all about the BDO being on TV etc and having their 'own' world championships as by then the PDC will be firmly entrenched , if it isn't already, as the main public body and known brand of darts.
History will only record the ironic footnote of the BDO that it died as the same time as its founder.
100% correct

In 25 years I have played our league has dwindled from 30 odd teams to 15 now. Many of the players were playing when I started. Not many under 30 in the league, maybe 20 or so.

Pub darts is dying and like pubs the smoking ban didn't help, I know a few who still play in their man cave but not pub anymore.
Thinking of one.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

The Crusader wrote:
el_ringo wrote:

100% correct

In 25 years I have played our league has dwindled from 30 odd teams to 15 now. Many of the players were playing when I started. Not many under 30 in the league, maybe 20 or so.

Pub darts is dying and like pubs the smoking ban didn't help, I know a few who still play in their man cave but not pub anymore.
Definitely the case sadly.
Nothing to do with pdc/bdo etc etc.

Just the sad decline of the pub :(
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

So we all agree that pub darts is dying? Good.

Now remind me, where is the next generation coming from? I can't see youths dumping their Playstation or Xbox for a Unicorn Darts Board.

The BDO at least made things a bit more accessible.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am Now remind me, where is the next generation coming from? I can't see youths dumping their Playstation or Xbox for a Unicorn Darts Board.
http://www.juniordarts.com/

and the countless other academy's that exist around the county for kids to go and play
O C
Superleague Player

Post by O C »

My local league just added three new teams for the season starting this week. And a new location for two of them.
Might be the Fallon Effect. Or the WDF initiatives. Not sure which, but its a good thing :)
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

el_ringo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 am
Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am Now remind me, where is the next generation coming from? I can't see youths dumping their Playstation or Xbox for a Unicorn Darts Board.
http://www.juniordarts.com/

and the countless other academy's that exist around the county for kids to go and play
But do they want to?

That is the main problem. The BDO folding is a major issue, but not as big as the decline of the British pub.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Wazza180 wrote:So we all agree that pub darts is dying? Good.

Now remind me, where is the next generation coming from? I can't see youths dumping their Playstation or Xbox for a Unicorn Darts Board.

Your last statement is just not correct.
brainim
The Ton Club

Post by brainim »

read the full conversation, he says Des should face legal consequences as many believe he has committed fraud
brainim
The Ton Club

Post by brainim »

Who didn't see this coming?

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

brainim wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am Who didn't see this coming?

Not you as well. That Dartwolf is a pisstake account. He even sent a poll up and got a load of bots to skew the results into the thousands. Ignore it.
Big Jock Knew
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am So we all agree that pub darts is dying? Good.

I'm already feeling absurdly guilty that I thought you might be Rout. He speaks far more sense than you ever will.

The Playstation and X-Box have been around for a long time, so those distractions were there for many of the players currently at or near the top of the game. Pubs are dying up and down the country, that's true, but this has also been happening for quite some time!

As I tried to explain to you before, it isn't normal in darts for a teenager to come along and sweep all before them. MvG was a major winner at 17 but he had to wait a long time for his next one. In fact, he had to switch to the development/youth tour for a while to get his confidence back.

Young in darts is anyone under the age of 30, possibly even 35.

In the PDC top 32, you have Rob Cross, Michael Smith, Nathan Aspinall, Chris Dobey, Jeffrey de Zwaan, Max Hopp, Danny Noppert, Ricky Evans, Dimitri van den Bergh and Keegan Brown. Ten players under the age of 30, which isn't bad at all. This isn't tennis for goodness sake, it often takes darts players a lot longer to reach the top. Outside the top 32 you have Luke Humphries, Josh Payne, Steve Lennon, Martin Schindler, Richard North, Benito van de Pas, Jan Dekker, Jamie Lewis, Corey Cadby (okay, maybe not him lol), etc.

It's nowhere near as bleak a picture as the one you're trying to paint.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am So we all agree that pub darts is dying? Good.
Absolutely not.