The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by Ginge »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Ginge wrote:Determined to blame anyone but himself, isnt he?

Lest we forget that whilst Auntie Sue was paying Sportotal the same £5k a month Des had to pay, the BDO was just about breaking even, making a very slight loss at worst.
And the players got told midweek that sponsors had managed to double the minimum fund
Aye and if the Sportotal thing was cancelled 2 weeks prior, there was no issue with Des going out getting them. So yet again, that would have been a total lie.
Big Jock Knew
County Player

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by 1205 »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm Determined to blame anyone but himself, isnt he?

Lest we forget that whilst Auntie Sue was paying Sportotal the same £5k a month Des had to pay, the BDO was just about breaking even, making a very slight loss at worst.
The Auntie Sue era initially had money from the Channel 4 TV contract, and might have had the property sale.

Seems like Jacklin blagged his way in with the same kind of promises BDO voters have fallen for in the past, and, of course, hasn't been able to deliver. Since he and Sportotal can't deliver the same money, and the BDO has cut back too slowly, they've run out of money.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

1205 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm
ILAD wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm He fails to mention all the sponsors that Des had secured, what happened to them? That's not Sportotals fault.
Jacklin was not allowed to secure sponsors. He could only introduce them to Sportotal who had exclusive commercial rights.
So why didnt he do this then? I dont believe for one second that they would have lost all interest at that point. The simple answer is they didnt fekkin exist.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

"We have a clothing manufacturer, a company who have approached me and asked if they can sponsor the BDO. This isn’t just a one event issue; they want to sponsor the BDO. I don’t believe the BDO have ever had that"

“But people will not have to ask anymore what direction the BDO is going anymore.”
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Bob Potter was a sponsor who paid a chunk of the prize fund. Was it Sportotals fault that Des got well above himself and moved it to the Indigo thereby losing this sponsor and therefore having to find that chunk prize money himself?

He gambled, with everyone elses money and lost. The guy is scum. And those that backed him when he took over should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It was for that reason that I quit as Admin of the real fanatics page I created.

I don't buy any of this "Des was the only choice" rubbish either. Leaving the post vacant would have been a better option than allowing this clown to do what he did. So many said it at the time but the "oh give him a chance" brigade wouldn't have it and people who KNEW what the guy was like and had spent years criticising his mafia antics suddenly thought he was the best thing thats every happened just because they got some involvement in the whole farce. They are all just as culpable as the gruesome twosome and should be apologising to the hilt for enabling this absolute mess.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Thehateful180
The Ton Club

Post by Thehateful180 »

devosteve wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm After reading most of the post on here, this is my interpretation of the events. Late Christmas Eve, The Chairman of the BDO received an email from SPORTOTAL that they hadn’t managed to get the sponsors for the WORLDS and that they were terminating their contract with the BDO immediately. How can anyone blame the BDO when the people who had taken thousands and thousands of pounds from the company for supposedly bringing sponsors to the Worlds.

Then leaving the BDO only 5 days to try and find £150,000 plus for the prize monies. Which in my opinion is virtually impossible in that length of time. So the Chairman and Vice Chairman contacted all players involved and explained this, giving them a minimum prize fund.

They were asked if they would like to pullout of the competition because the funds weren’t available. It was entirely their decision.All but one player agreed to still play for the minimum sum. The BDO then managed to add the rest of the ticket sales, which were received on Monday to increase the minimum fund. Then you see some players putting the prize fund on here, not explaining the circumstances surrounding the said amount.

But letters ie emails were sent out to all counties regarding this and the players as explained above. My question is why are they disappointed about the prize fund when they knew beforehand what it would be? Bare minimum. Hold my hand up if wrong, but very doubtful"

Fair comment,thread,on fanatics?

Though Tony m says not entirely factual.
That's from another friend of the Jacklins. They are all being mobilised it seems.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Thehateful180 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 pm
devosteve wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm After reading most of the post on here, this is my interpretation of the events. Late Christmas Eve, The Chairman of the BDO received an email from SPORTOTAL that they hadn’t managed to get the sponsors for the WORLDS and that they were terminating their contract with the BDO immediately. How can anyone blame the BDO when the people who had taken thousands and thousands of pounds from the company for supposedly bringing sponsors to the Worlds.

Then leaving the BDO only 5 days to try and find £150,000 plus for the prize monies. Which in my opinion is virtually impossible in that length of time. So the Chairman and Vice Chairman contacted all players involved and explained this, giving them a minimum prize fund.

They were asked if they would like to pullout of the competition because the funds weren’t available. It was entirely their decision.All but one player agreed to still play for the minimum sum. The BDO then managed to add the rest of the ticket sales, which were received on Monday to increase the minimum fund. Then you see some players putting the prize fund on here, not explaining the circumstances surrounding the said amount.

But letters ie emails were sent out to all counties regarding this and the players as explained above. My question is why are they disappointed about the prize fund when they knew beforehand what it would be? Bare minimum. Hold my hand up if wrong, but very doubtful"

That's from another friend of the Jacklins. They are all being mobilised it seems.
Kane is on there posting now so should be fun.......
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

BDO Board of Directors' letter to counties Following the conclusion of the 2020 BDO World Professional Darts Championship we would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved, from those working tirelessly behind the scenes to the players themselves and further congratulate this year’s champions Wayne Warren, Mikuru Suzuki and Keane Barry.

These last few weeks have been extremely difficult for the BDO. We have had to make tough decisions, such as reducing the prize fund for the 2020 BDO World Championships, and although they were not undertaken lightly, they were made in the best interest of the company, the members and moving forward, the players. We appreciate the patience the players have shown during this event and will confirm exact prize monies within the next 24 hours – there is a minimum prize fund already in place however, as discussed with the players, we are hoping to improve on this and we are currently working with out ticketing agents to establish an accurate overview over this year’s event.

Despite the difficulties we faced, overall, we felt the event was a success. As in previous years, the attendance levels for some sessions were low, but this soon picked up and overall the atmosphere and support shown by fans and supporters was amazing. The new venue was well received we have had a lot of positive feedback from players and fans alike. We realise there were several minor issues with the production these will be ironed out over the coming months in time for our next major event, the 2020 BDO World Trophy.

The BDO Board of Directors will be arranging a meeting for late January/early February where we will be signing off the previous year’s accounts. We will also look to releasing dates, venue and TV information for the 2020 BDO World Trophy, the 2020 one80 L-style World Masters and the 2021 BDO World Professional Darts Championship.

As some of you may already know the BDO has now parted company with our commercial advisors Sportotal, the BDO Board of Directors received termination of contract from Sportotal on 24 December 2019] This will now free up a considerable amount of expenditure for 2020 and allow us to invest this money into other areas of the BDO and its tournaments.

During the last couple of weeks, several companies have expressed an interest in sponsorship for the coming year. Unfortunately, it was too late to put these into place for this year’s World Championships, but we are proactively working towards getting deals signed and sealed, which in turn could lead to extra televised events during 2020/21, which we will be making public at the earliest possible opportunity.

We are also looking into other areas of the BDO that can generate revenue streams from our vast amount of information, media and products. These areas have been substantially underutilised in the past and we look to launch several new revenue streams over the coming months. One such initiative is the recently launched app. Understandably, many of you will be sceptical, but the BDO is now in a far better place than it was a month ago. 2019 saw a lot of our efforts go into securing venues for future events and with these now in place, we will be able to provide information much earlier than in previous years, refocus our attentions on other areas of the BDO and ensure all future aspects of tournament information will be transparent to all players and supporters alike.
To further assist players within the BDO system, we will also be appointing player liaison and will be developing an area for players on the website, which will include all important information on tournaments and future events. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the players, counties and members for their continued support and we would also like to thank everyone who came along and supported our product at this year’s World Championships.

We would also like to thank the BDO team who provide their time for free to ensure these and other BDO events continue to run. On a final note we would like to confirm that the BDO is now in a very strong position moving forward and we are looking forward to a very bright and prosperous 2020.
Last edited by MancheStar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Groundhog Day, anyone seen it?
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Kane - Great name for a wannabee megalomaniac (or indeed the son of one...)
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

mancheStar: just an idea: edit your post with some paragraph breaks.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Skewball wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm
Thehateful180 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Kane is on there posting now so should be fun.......
On fanatics? I never see his posts so they must block folk as a family.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
hankeys_taint
Brass Darts

Post by hankeys_taint »

An organisation claiming to run a world championships didn't bother to check if the company they employed to find sponsors had any or not? Come on - even if that was the truth it still points the finger at Des et al. being extremely incompetent. Surely, they would have had all the marketing, press, printing etc ready to go before then and would have needed to include sponsors. If not, again, finger of blame points at Jacklin and co.

I'd love to hear from Sport Total; get them to give their version. Then again, they are probably best keeping quiet seeing as they in all likelihood took in an old lady and scammed her before doing the same to a clown.
Last edited by hankeys_taint on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a man from Cork
Bo selecta has great norks
Des found me deep
And bo does she seep
So all three did bork
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:Image
Yaaaaasssss!!
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm Groundhog Day, anyone seen it?
I remember a few years ago someone saying that they should announce a brand new remake of it, only in cinemas, all star cast etc and then when people turn up they show the old film. Very clever.

Back to the BDO, three years on the board and he only found out a fortnight before that the headline tournament had no sponsor, probably the most unrealistic plot line since J K Rowling dreamed of a four eyed wizard.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

thers always 3 sides to a story 2 sides will paint it so they come off best & unfortunately the flying eyes side of events ( the truth) gets diluted to suit each side but the eyes version is never or hardly told
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

You would think that Des would be checking daily with Sportotal as to what sponsors may be in place for the indigo... It would hardly have been a bombshell dropped on him on Christmas Eve.. He's the chairman for God's sake.. He's known for ages that the event could not be funded yet he let players fly half way round the world before telling anybody... He is a disgrace and him and Paula have got their lackies out in force giving out their excuses because they cannot dare post them themselves
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Talk about forgetting everything that's happend recently this bit was what made me really laugh.

We will also look to releasing dates, venue and TV information for the 2020 BDO World Trophy, the 2020 one80 L-style World Masters and the 2021 BDO World Professional Darts Championship.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

MancheStar wrote:Talk about forgetting everything that's happend recently this bit was what made me really laugh.

We will also look to releasing dates, venue and TV information for the 2020 BDO World Trophy, the 2020 one80 L-style World Masters and the 2021 BDO World Professional Darts Championship.
What TV information is there to fekkin release, Des? Its on Eurosport, the contract says so.
Big Jock Knew