The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
maninasuitcase
Brass Darts

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by maninasuitcase »

The US President Harry S Truman famously had a sign on his desk saying "The buck stops here". Jacklin clearly has one on his desk saying "Who shall I pass the buck to now?".
$500 a day plus expenses.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by MancheStar »

After this week's farce the trust has gone completely can't see anyone attenting a world trophy event. The fans never have so definetly won't now.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Now Sportotal have fucked off no one to blame when the events are shite, poorly attended and tickets out late.
brainim
The Ton Club

Post by brainim »

BBC just released their article and made it the headline
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

brainim wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 pm BBC just released their article and made it the headline
Haha, the choice of the face palm picture is genius.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

MancheStar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:26 pm Talk about forgetting everything that's happend recently this bit was what made me really laugh.

We will also look to releasing dates, venue and TV information for the 2020 BDO World Trophy, the 2020 one80 L-style World Masters and the 2021 BDO World Professional Darts Championship.
I thought the venu was all sorted as they had 3 years deals for wdt and masters not that I can see them
Taking place but if actually did tickets need to be on sale by April for WDT
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

British Darts Organisation world champion Wayne Warren will receive £23,000 for winning the 2020 title - 77% less than the previous winner.

In contrast, Peter Wright received £500,000 for winning the rival PDC World Darts Championship.
Warren became the oldest world darts champion after beating fellow Welshman Jim Williams 7-4 in Sunday's BDO final.

His winnings are the lowest since Jockey Wilson won £20,000 for beating Eric Bristow in the 1989 final.

The winners from 2010 to 2019 all received a £100,000 prize.

In a letter sent to players seen by the BBC, BDO chairman Des Jacklin explained that a lack of sponsorship was behind the prize fund reduction as the full breakdown was issued to players.

He added commercial advisers Sportotal had failed to secure sponsorship meaning the BDO had to either reduce prize funds or cancel the event.

The entire purse for the 2020 tournament was £164,000 with runner-up Jim Williams receiving £10,000.

Fallon Sherrock, who made history as the first woman to beat a man in the PDC World Championship, withdrew from the BDO tournament due to the reduction in prize money in the women's event.

The women's prize was cut to £10,000 out of a total purse of £26,500.

The £25,000 that 2015 BDO runner-up Sherrock earned for reaching the third round of the PDC World Championship exceeds Warren's BDO winning prize fund for 2020.

Warren said he was "hurt" that he did not know the prize fund for winning the BDO world darts final and said he would be forced to play more exhibition matches.

The BDO had previously said its World Championship prize money would be "reduced somewhat" after only 15% of tickets were sold.

The BDO has been asked to comment."

Has said above: top story on BBC website. Guess the person on fanatics who said it was time to move on won't be getting their wish.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Rout wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:24 pm Bob Potter was a sponsor who paid a chunk of the prize fund. Was it Sportotals fault that Des got well above himself and moved it to the Indigo thereby losing this sponsor and therefore having to find that chunk prize money himself?

He gambled, with everyone elses money and lost. The guy is scum. And those that backed him when he took over should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It was for that reason that I quit as Admin of the real fanatics page I created.

I don't buy any of this "Des was the only choice" rubbish either. Leaving the post vacant would have been a better option than allowing this clown to do what he did. So many said it at the time but the "oh give him a chance" brigade wouldn't have it and people who KNEW what the guy was like and had spent years criticising his mafia antics suddenly thought he was the best thing thats every happened just because they got some involvement in the whole farce. They are all just as culpable as the gruesome twosome and should be apologising to the hilt for enabling this absolute mess.
Nail on head.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

trotter01 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:23 pm You would think that Des would be checking daily with Sportotal as to what sponsors may be in place for the indigo... It would hardly have been a bombshell dropped on him on Christmas Eve.. He's the chairman for God's sake.. He's known for ages that the event could not be funded yet he let players fly half way round the world before telling anybody... He is a disgrace and him and Paula have got their lackies out in force giving out their excuses because they cannot dare post them themselves
Of course he would. This is one of the many, many reasons why his transparent lies are both obviously transparent and obviously lies.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

MancheStar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm After this week's farce the trust has gone completely can't see anyone attenting a world trophy event. The fans never have so definetly won't now.
It should be cancelled. Today. It should have never started. It is a complete waste of time and money.
Gruntface
Pub Champion

Post by Gruntface »

The lack of sponsor and late notice is a massive deflection. They knew from the get go that ticket revenue was funding the prizes and even noted in one of their letters they had assumed 100% sales.

The problem with lies is you often forget what lies you have already used and end up contradicting with new lies. It compounds and the result is the current cluster.

As for blaming the predecessors, fine, BUT didnt his manifesto say everything would be fine in which case he already allowed for the shit hand he took over and can no longer use that as an excuse.

This time next year, we'll be millionaires....
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

The deflect status of Des is always to blame the previous board.. and yes that board was shit.. bur Des was on that board for a good while and knew the full state of the BDO first hand

Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to take over.. Nobody takes over anything without doing due diligence and knowing what they will be are getting involved with.

Des has an ego as big as Paula's temper and thought he knew everything.. Thought the mere mention of the 02 would have sponsors flocking in and fans lining up to come.. In fact his pitch stated he already had them..

The deflect from his lackies that its all Sportotals fault is typical Teflon Des deflection.. Why any major sponsors would deal with him is laughable and if the BDO was toxic before the Worlds then God knows what it is now.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Fuck me, I’ve just read that letter. If anyone believes any of those promises or that ‘The BDO are in a strong position going forward’, then they are a fool. :)

Just how stupid does Des think everyone is?
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

spaceman70 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 pm fek me, I’ve just read that letter. If anyone believes any of those promises or that ‘The BDO are in a strong position going forward’, then they are a fool. :)

Clearly very stupid. A text book narcissist who has no sense of personal responsibility.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ssjsa wrote:
spaceman70 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 pm fek me, I’ve just read that letter. If anyone believes any of those promises or that ‘The BDO are in a strong position going forward’, then they are a fool. :)

Clearly very stupid. A text book narcissist who has no sense of personal responsibility.
New thread incoming.
Big Jock Knew
Chunky wilbur
Feather Flights

Post by Chunky wilbur »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm
MancheStar wrote:Talk about forgetting everything that's happend recently this bit was what made me really laugh.

We will also look to releasing dates, venue and TV information for the 2020 BDO World Trophy, the 2020 one80 L-style World Masters and the 2021 BDO World Professional Darts Championship.
What TV information is there to fekkin release, Des? Its on Eurosport, the contract says so.
Did they not sign 3 year contracts for the venue's aswell? I.e King George's hall and Circus tavern and a 10 year for the indigo 🤔
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

For those who have not seen it

https://www.bbc.com/sport/darts/51126679
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

nikkiboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 pm For those who have not seen it

https://www.bbc.com/sport/darts/51126679
325 comments. They should re-open the 606 pages.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Chunky wilbur wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:27 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm
MancheStar wrote:Talk about forgetting everything that's happend recently this bit was what made me really laugh.

What TV information is there to fekkin release, Des? Its on Eurosport, the contract says so.
Did they not sign 3 year contracts for the venue's aswell? I.e King George's hall and Circus tavern and a 10 year for the indigo 🤔
That is what Des said at the time.. He made a big deal who about it saying it ends up all the uncertainty that happens each year in the BDO..

The trouble with Des is that he forgets what lies he's told and when so you end up believing nothing
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

Maybe the rest of the money should be tied up in legal expenses against Sportotal, there was no sponsor for the WDT or the Masters(really, but Des claimed l-style) and none for the Worlds(which should have been agreed at least 6 months before the tourney).

I would be asking them what companies they approached and show detailed dealings with sponsors.
There again Sportotal probably have more cash than the BDO, all thanks to the BDO, to get good solicitors.