The Rise of the WDF!

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: The Rise of the WDF!

Post by Ginge »

Sally wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 pm WDF WORLD CHAMPS in December, if it comes off. Good decision to hold it before Ally Pally starts.

Hope the venue is far away from O2 and Lakeside, start afresh in a new venue, and different country. Germany perhaps?

Sponsorship has not been mentioned, and we all know what no sponsors means to a darts event!
Indeed, but no doubt if it has no sponsors a realistic prize fund will be specified from day one.
Big Jock Knew
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Ginge wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm
Sally wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 pm WDF WORLD CHAMPS in December, if it comes off. Good decision to hold it before Ally Pally starts.

Hope the venue is far away from O2 and Lakeside, start afresh in a new venue, and different country. Germany perhaps?

Sponsorship has not been mentioned, and we all know what no sponsors means to a darts event!
Indeed, but no doubt if it has no sponsors a realistic prize fund will be specified from day one.
"Barrow FC are playing on Saturday. Let's talk about their sponsorship deals and how much they pay their team"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Again, again!
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Last edited by Murphio on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The split in darts needs repairing - one, unified World Championship and one Amatuer/semi pro Championship with an established link between the two sides of the game. Reinstate the Tour cards for WDF champions/semi finalists or at the very least direct entry into the Challenge Tour. Increased ladies places for the World Championship qualifiers. Give WDF WC places to Challenge Tour leaders/ event winners not qualified for PDC version. Return to Lakeside after securing a commitment from Bob Potter to invest in the venue - including a proper TV studio/area. Use the PDC''s connections to secure terrestrial TV coverage on ITV or BBC 2. Let the BDO concentrate on county darts and organising local leagues and comps. Job's a gud in.
Thehateful180
The Ton Club

Post by Thehateful180 »

The Wazza meltdown has been a joy to behold.
Lowland Bloke
Brass Darts

Post by Lowland Bloke »

Effect on youth if you look at this and a view ladies
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

So 16 MORE entered the Dutch Open despite people who were unhappy about it not having BDO points offered a full refund?

Very interesting.
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Holding WDF Worlds in December is sheer stupidity.
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

Reading the statement - referring to a "World Masters" type event indicates to me that they're hoping the BDO step aside.

Given the alleged mess the BDO is in, they may not have to hope for too long
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Booji Boy wrote:Holding WDF Worlds in December is sheer stupidity.
Correct. Total overkill, even if they are assuming the BDO one no longer happens the month afterwards.
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 pm
Booji Boy wrote:Holding WDF Worlds in December is sheer stupidity.
Correct. Total overkill, even if they are assuming the BDO one no longer happens the month afterwards.
Wildly speculating. Perhaps the WDF have done a deal with the PDC and it could be tagged on to their worlds? "World Amateur Championships"
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

So are we looking at a possible reality of players being able to qualify for the Indigo based on results in a handful of BDO ranked events?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Booji Boy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:58 pm So are we looking at a possible reality of players being able to qualify for the Indigo based on results in a handful of BDO ranked events?

No, because as far as I am aware the Dutch Open is the only event of note that has bailed on the BDO points.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Booji Boy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 pm Holding WDF Worlds in December is sheer stupidity.
I am going to bet it will run from the start of December and conclude before the PDC worlds. It would be even more stupid to run a rival event at the same time as the BDO/PDC.So I am guessing they believe that getting there first - in the event Des tries to hold his own event - will give them a head start. One way or another this surely sounds the death knell for the BDO as a platform for top level darts of any kind because it will inevitably split the vote. The wise thing would be to take it back to Lakeside for the short term at least.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I mean if its a quick weekend jobby of an event over the old Zuiderduin/Finder weekend, it wouldnt be overkill I suppose.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Ginge wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 pm I mean if its a quick weekend jobby of an event over the old Zuiderduin/Finder weekend, it wouldnt be overkill I suppose.
Surely now the next logical step will be for the rest of the orgs under the WDF umbrella to drop BDO ranking points from their events - why on earth would one event qualify you for two versions of a world championship? I'd be astounded if this were the case - I think you'll find all the events mentioned will support one WC and not the other - especially if there is early plans put in place for a venue, a sponsor and a prize fund.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I like PDC darts.. Its the pinnacle of darts and great to watch.

I also like BDO darts.. It has its place on TV for sure... I did not like its current chairman though and thought it was run diabolically from the top..

If the WDF can allocate points and TV events ending in a World Championship which is well ran and sponsored an funded then I absolutely support that... If it means the end of Des then even better..
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Easy out for Des now surely without having to deliver sponsors - the BDO will just run county in the end yes?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The Cat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 pm Easy out for Des now surely without having to deliver sponsors - the BDO will just run county in the end yes?
Heard a rumour that the Scots are pulling out and letting the SDA run their leagues if Des is still in charge by the end of this season. No reason why the EDO and WDO cant run the English and Welsh bit in conjunction tbh, its hardly difficult to compile fixtures every year and maintain a few averages tables.
Big Jock Knew