Site Admin/Mod

Re: Scott Waites

Post by Black Velvet »

Another hangover in the lonely bachelor pad the day :(
Duneh9617
Steady Sixties

Post by Duneh9617 »

Alan Norris and James Wilson made the top 32 in recent years, so I absolutley don't see why Waites couldn't. Obviously has to up his consistency though.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

John will be busy later.
daraghj82
Steady Sixties

Post by daraghj82 »

on his day as he proved in the GSOD 09 and 10 scott will be a match for anyone in the pdc , I think he should have moved 4 or 5 years ago,
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Astonvilla wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 pm QS turned out to be really exciting and it was great that Waites got his card. Just a pity that Big Robbo had a few bad draws and didnt quite get there.
:DDD: :DDD:
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Slag big robbo off all you want but for an exhibition his outfit are one of the best around
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

only85 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:27 pm Slag big robbo off all you want but for an exhibition his outfit are one of the best around
He can certainly make an exhibition of himself.

NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

only85 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:27 pm Slag big robbo off all you want but for an exhibition his outfit are one of the best around
I don't really care about exhibitions to be honest.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

This all depends on Waites. He is a very good semi-professional player, and has mopped up some serious prize money over the last decade or so playing darts part time as a lucrative hobby and not much more. I doubt he'd even have bothered with Q-School in the last two years if that lucrative side-line hadn't near enough completely disappeared. If he actually tries, commits to the game and makes a proper go of it, he could win another PDC major winner. He's already won one PDC major before he even joined the damn thing and whilst playing part-time. But if he doesn't, and he stays a semi-professional, he'll get up to the fringes of the top-32 and no more.
Last edited by meetthefeebles on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Waites was the best player in the world for a 3 month period. Shame he never really kicked on.

Still won 2 Lakesides when he was past his best but could have been so much more.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:48 pm Waites was the best player in the world for a 3 month period.
Stop it 😂
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

3 month period...:D
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

He was unarguably one of the best players in the world for about a year or so, though. That Grand Slam win was no fluke: the year before he reached the final and walked into a prime Taylor. No shame in losing to him. Almost everyone did.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Best player in the world?? 😂

18-3 against Taylor in the Grand Slam...some MIGHT say he was never ever better than Taylor at any stage 😂

He was good though.. Still is really but in the past very good.. He used to enter the amateur qualifiers for the UK Open as well and had a couple of half decent runs at Bolton..

Most people had him down as moving across years ago well before his first Lakeside win and before QS days The way Fitzmaurice blanked him and offered him the limpest handshake was the one year everybody in the BDO thought he was moving after Lakeside..
Fair play to him though, he earned 200k from 2 Lakeside plus 2 Grand Slam finals money.. He didn't too too bad at all... and I think he will be motivated in the PDC and expect him around the 30 mark after 2 years
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

“I’m going to put a lot of practice in now, this is going to give me the ‘get up and go’ I need.”

Seems to be keen enough. But what if some shelves need putting up in Brighouse.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm
Seems to be keen enough. But what if some shelves need putting up in Brighouse.
Ross the Boss will be doing them instead ;)
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

I've voted top 64, even though he's a much more talented player than that. But even this week, we only saw his best stuff on Sunday. I don't think he's the type who would graft for years trying to make the top 16 so he can earn a nice living. If it doesn't happen for him quickly, I think he'll probably go back to his day job.

With his ability (he reached 2 major finals last year), he should be looking at the top 8/Premier League.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

NvH wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:25 pm I've voted top 64, even though he's a much more talented player than that. But even this week, we only saw his best stuff on Sunday. I don't think he's the type who would graft for years trying to make the top 16 so he can earn a nice living. If it doesn't happen for him quickly, I think he'll probably go back to his day job.

With his ability (he reached 2 major finals last year), he should be looking at the top 8/Premier League.
Who knows, 2010 Scott Waites could well have been Premier League calibre had he switched (was a weak vintage as well). Now? I don't see him even getting into the top 32, even if he puts everything into darts. I think he will retain his tour card come 2022, though I'm not certain of it, especially given he's not a great floor player.

Watch out for him shithousing his way to the quarter finals of the UK Open averaging about 88 the whole way lol
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Gonna go down the middle and say he'll be around the 50 mark, seems realistic enough
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Waites quits job to focus on darts full-time after gaining PDC Tour Card: "I have never really been in a position where I’ve thought I can support myself for the next two years and give it a go"

might change folks opinion of how he will do.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.