Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Rout
International

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Rout »

clarky wrote:
Rout wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:33 pm I ran an open with 160-170 entries on an 8 board set up. Entries far beyond what we expected. Started at 10.30, done by 6ish.

Shorter format games maybe, but 14 hours is embarrassing. No two ways about it.

It's been like this for years at some of the venues. Bring in a few more stands ffs. Move some pool tables if you have to.
Start time is 12.30pm and Wolves finished at midnight so 11 and half hours - Norwich did well yesterday as they had 170 entries and that was done and dusted by 8.30pm.
I got the 14 hours off various places it was reported, including fallons twitter.

So theres one small fix already. Start a bit earlier to avoid a midnight finish.

Few years back the chorlton one had 13-14 boards up and only 4 were being used as match boards and it was a similar story to this.

Cant help thinking if this wasnt pdc affiliated, there would be a lot less forgiveness about it.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
clarky
The Ton Club

Post by clarky »

Rout wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:49 pm
clarky wrote:
Rout wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:33 pm I ran an open with 160-170 entries on an 8 board set up. Entries far beyond what we expected. Started at 10.30, done by 6ish.

It's been like this for years at some of the venues. Bring in a few more stands ffs. Move some pool tables if you have to.
Start time is 12.30pm and Wolves finished at midnight so 11 and half hours - Norwich did well yesterday as they had 170 entries and that was done and dusted by 8.30pm.
I got the 14 hours off various places it was reported, including fallons twitter.

So theres one small fix already. Start a bit earlier to avoid a midnight finish.

Few years back the chorlton one had 13-14 boards up and only 4 were being used as match boards and it was a similar story to this.

Cant help thinking if this wasnt pdc affiliated, there would be a lot less forgiveness about it.
At least there is no pre draw this year as that was a complete nightmare - basically 20 people who paid but never turned up on the day were still included in the draw and quite a few of these people were drawn in the same part of the draw - end result was players getting byes through 2 or 3 rounds and then complaining that they had been in the venue for hours and not played yet others had played twice

Another bonus this year is that start time is BY 12.30pm - previously registration closed at 11.30am and play commenced at 1pm but obviously it does not take 90 minutes to do a draw - As soon as the draw is made on DFW I hope to be under way shortly afterwards
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

clarky wrote:

To play 12 hours at the required standard is very impressive.

Still I agree. The usual suspects would let us know about it if the BDO ran an event like this.
clarky
The Ton Club

Post by clarky »

Wazza180 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:47 pm
clarky wrote:

To play 12 hours at the required standard is very impressive.

Still I agree. The usual suspects would let us know about it if the BDO ran an event like this.
To be fair Ian she never played at that standard for 12 hours she played at that standard for 4 hours as she never threw a dart before then but still a wonderful achievement
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

Black Velvet wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:54 pm Never heard of Adam Huckdale.
Very good player who I think won a challenge tour last weekend.
Had a cracker of a game with Keane Barry on the Sunday but lost.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

fling wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:54 pm Never heard of Adam Huckdale.
Very good player who I think won a challenge tour last weekend.
Had a cracker of a game with Keane Barry on the Sunday but lost.
That was Adam Huckvale.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Who's going to sponsor the qualifiers if not Rileys.. Punch Taverns used to have the qualifiers and that was a farce.. At least Rileys hold legitimate qualifiers... There would need to be another sponsor with venues for them to be replaced.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

The venue isnt the problem. It's just a building.

It's the logistics and organisation of the qualifiers.

It falls on the tournament organiser to do a better job of running what really is a run of the mill darts comp with a fairly standard amount of entries, the likes of which happen all over the country and world every weekend, most of which do a much better job with much less resources.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Dazman
Superleague Player

Post by Dazman »

Few more details on Wolverhampton:

- For whatever reason, those running it on the day were supplied with the list of entrants and it included two duplicate names and two missed off. That needed to be rectified and double-checked, etc.

- Draw didn't start being made and typed up until 12.15pm. This resulted in things getting underway shortly after 1.15pm. Much longer than it should have taken, but that is what happened.

- The competition itself ran fairly smoothly and the organisers couldn't be faulted. They run several comps in the area and there is very rarely an issue. Like has been highlighted with Sherrock, however, there were plenty of instances where some people had played twice or three times before another had played once, partly because people had got fed up and left without telling anyone. I had a mate who had a bye and his last 128 game was at 6.30pm after being at the venue at just after 10am.

- There were eight boards in use and two practice boards, so it was 25/26 to a board. Logistically, may have been able to put a couple of boards elsewhere, but no more.

- One of the organisers felt like it should have been capped at 192. Can't see that ever being the case, though. Personally, I would close registration at 10.30am and get started no later than 11.30am.
Last edited by Dazman on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoD World Matchplay champion 2008
SoD World Matchplay co-champion 2009
TSoD World Grand Prix runner-up 2010
TSoD World Championships champion 2011
TSoD UK Open Regional (Wigan) champion 2011
TSoD Premier League Week 12 champion 2011
TSoD Premier League joint runner-up 2011
TSoD World Grand Prix third place 2011
Darts Betting News Grand Slam of Darts champion 2011
TSoD Players Championship Finals co-champion 2011

Twitter - @Dazman5
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk
clarky
The Ton Club

Post by clarky »

Rout wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm The venue isnt the problem. It's just a building.

It falls on the tournament organiser to do a better job of running what really is a run of the mill darts comp with a fairly standard amount of entries, the likes of which happen all over the country and world every weekend, most of which do a much better job with much less resources.
[/quote

If you win a Rileys qualifier you are guaranteed zero prize money and fields of 150+ are pretty standard.

Not many local opens in the UK will attract a field of 150 these days even with a guaranteed £750 for the winner
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

clarky wrote:
Rout wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm The venue isnt the problem. It's just a building.

[/quote

If you win a Rileys qualifier you are guaranteed zero prize money and fields of 150+ are pretty standard.

Not many local opens in the UK will attract a field of 150 these days even with a guaranteed £750 for the winner
Fair points, but there are opens that attract that sort of attendance. Maybe not week in week out like I originally suggested but often enough throughout the year and they manage to cope much better, without the backing of the pdc behemoth.

How long have Rileys qualifiers been going for? Must be closing on a decade soon. Its nothing new, but it's the same thing year after year.

If there was room for 2 more boards then they should have had 2 more boards. And used all 12 as match boards. Thered be room for more if they moved some of the tables, which they should be prepared to do if needs be.

I really dont get this "oh well what can you do" attitude. Like its just the way it is. Theres a problem, so fix it.

Btw, all of this is aimed at the pdc hierarchy, not the small handful of individual organisers who do a good job with the tools they are given. This is their tournament and their responsibility.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

A good rule of thumb for a darts comp ran in one day is 4 boards for every 64 entrants.

32 - 64 - 4 boards
65 - 128 - 8 boards
129 - 192 - 12 boards
193 - 256 - 16 boards

And so on. That's the minimum really.

(And that's for short format ie best of 5 or 7)
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
clarky
The Ton Club

Post by clarky »

Cant agree more Rout 16 players per board is a good number - Wolves yesterday was 25 per board

I checked a few minutes ago and we are up to 105 for the Cov qualifier next Saturday but I would expect that to rise to nearer 150 before the entries close - we only have the option of 6 boards so likely to be the equivalent of 25 players per board.
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

Who cares how many boards there are or how long it takes
Get on with it and stop moaning
dartsyoungun
The Ton Club

Post by dartsyoungun »

Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

dartsyoungun wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 am
dartsyoungun wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
Are you going Ninge? The red coats are waiting......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:

Rileys are a sponsor.

If a NI qualifier was held in a venue that wasn't a Rileys, how would that harm Rileys or the sponsorship agreement that's in place?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Ginge wrote:

Rileys are a sponsor.

If a NI qualifier was held in a venue that wasn't a Rileys, how would that harm Rileys or the sponsorship agreement that's in place?
Well it would be one less qualifier happening in Rileys, so less profit going over their bar into the till.

The only way areas that dont have a qualifier will now get one is with a change of sponsor imo, they clearly arent rushing to open more branches. And I cant see the PDC wanting to dump a sponsor just so they get a NI j0bber in as opposed to a Midlands j0bber.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Ginge wrote:

Rileys are a sponsor.

Well it would be one less qualifier happening in Rileys, so less profit going over their bar into the till.

The only way areas that dont have a qualifier will now get one is with a change of sponsor imo, they clearly arent rushing to open more branches. And I cant see the PDC wanting to dump a sponsor just so they get a NI j0bber in as opposed to a Midlands j0bber.
Why would there have to be one less qualifier in rileys? Why couldn't they have a NI qualifier on top of the existing ones?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.