Glen Durrant

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Thehateful180
The Ton Club

Re: Glen Durrant

Post by Thehateful180 »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:08 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:54 pm
oche balboa wrote:Difference is NVH is when Barney switched he was the 2nd best player in the world (ok he lost to Klassen) his switch was the end game for the BDO to challenge the PDC.

Durrant switch was widely anticipated but common sense of opinion said he wasn’t a top 2 player and even wasn’t a top 10 player, he had a lot of critics. Zeyes & Brett thought he should play on the challenge tour for a year
I dunno if I advocated it but it would have done him good if he went there like it’s done others (hughes being the prime example)

And let’s not look back with rose tinted glasses, he was not getting a tour card after day3 and he got it by the absolute skin of his teeth.

I personally thought he was a top 16 players he just needed to find some consistency that we are finally seeing. His most interesting interview was late last year when he acknowledged that he was a good player with a consistent 90 average but to get to the later stages of tv events and win majors he’s got to up his average to 100 consistently.
No one is, It proves the Q School is a lottery (Chris Mason alluded to this in his interview last week) r
It's not a "lottery". Calling it a lottery makes it sound like you or I could win a tourcard if we put our hard earned in Bazza's pocket. There's a degree of luck involved, but you still have to be a good player to get a card.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Maverick wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:33 pm
nikkiboy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:06 pm Didn't know this

Yeah it was years ago , I was Cleveland team manager and remember the call from him , his entire face had dropped on one side . He’s been wonderful to me after my stroke also.
Always seemed like a nice chap.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Some of us always knew that Glen was one of the world's best players and that the Lakeside fields he won titles against were stronger than the fanboys gave them credit for.

Is he better than MVG? Probably not, but the gap between them is much smaller than most think. Glenn is top 5 in the world at the very worst.
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

maybe he only got his card by the skin of his teeth because he bottled it once or twice as he has done all year when his 95ish avg is threatened as it wasn't very often in the bdo - bottling it once or twice in a four hit q school is all it will take

either way he won the bdo last year and got paid over 360k in total for the year, about 350k more than this years bdo winner will get paid all year

if he plays the same this year as last he will win more money as he'll be in more events and he'll be solid top ten with over half a mill earned, reckon he'll take that even if he doesn't win anything major
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Durrant's strength is his consistency.. Virtually every game around the mid 90 mark and that's going to win a lot more matches than it loses..

The issue is that at the business ends of TV events he will probably meet somebody able to go up that extra gear or two which Durrant cannot consistent reach so he's going to lose a lot of those matches..

Still a top 16 player and possibly around the 10 but currently not a top 5 in my opinion which let's face it is pretty good
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Wazza180 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 pm Some of us always knew that Glen was one of the world's best players and that the Lakeside fields he won titles against were stronger than the fanboys gave them credit for.

Is he better than MVG? Probably not, but the gap between them is much smaller than most think. Glenn is top 5 in the world at the very worst.
Glen is not top 5 in the world. Whether at some point over the next 5 years, he can attain that position or not, is certainly a point worth debating, and whilst personally I do not think he will ever be in the Top 5, would not be a major surprise should he prove me wrong.

Just as a matter of interest, who are the only 4 players better than him?

In fairness, and whilst my memory is not quite what it once was, haven't you made similar claims in the past about other players standing in the very top echelons , subsequently refusing to substantiate them. ;-)

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

ssjsa wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 pm Some of us always knew that Glen was one of the world's best players and that the Lakeside fields he won titles against were stronger than the fanboys gave them credit for.

Glen is not top 5 in the world. Whether at some point over the next 5 years, he can attain that position or not, is certainly a point worth debating, and whilst personally I do not think he will ever be in the Top 5, would not be a major surprise should he prove me wrong.

Just as a matter of interest, who are the only 4 players better than him?

In fairness, and whilst my memory is not quite what it once was, haven't you made similar claims in the past about other players standing in the very top echelons , subsequently refusing to substantiate them. ;-)
Wright and MVG are the top 2. Then Glen, Anderson and Price.

They are your top 5. All capable of beating one another on the right day. Little between them.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

The pdc number 5 is Michael smith........
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
PreciesJJ
The Ton Club

Post by PreciesJJ »

You can say what you want about Wazza, but his trolling is world class. He knows how to irritate people.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ssjsa Top 5

Gary anderson
Peter Wright
John Henderson
Robert Thornton
Cameron Menzies
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Rout wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 pm The pdc number 5 is Michael smith........
The PDC number 17 is Stephen Bunting.........
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:21 pm Ssjsa Top 5

Gary anderson
Peter Wright
John Henderson
Robert Thornton
Cameron Menzies
Surely The Boss could muscle his way in!
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

ILAD wrote:
Rout wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 pm The pdc number 5 is Michael smith........
The PDC number 17 is Stephen Bunting.........
The pdc number 11 is Ian White....
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Gary anderson
Peter Wright
John Henderson
Robert Thornton
Cameron Menzies
Totally wrong. It's

Gando
Snakebite
Hendo
The Thorn
Cammy.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Rout wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:01 pm Barney is an all time great of darts. A hall of famer. Would make most peoples top 5 darts players in the history of the game.

I dont think anyone has suggested Glen is of that calibre. Not yet anyway.....
It's good to see sensible opinions again. Honest discussions are always better than constant trolling, even if I'm not averse to a bit of :fishing myself.

There was a time when no matter how weak the BDO field got, the BDO stalwarts (who in my opinion are not true BDO fans anyway if they want the Jacklins to keep running the show) would try to put Adams on a par with John Lowe. They weren't interested in the fact that Barney (who had beaten Adams 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2 in their final three major meetings before switching) had to leave before Adams won his first major. Same idiots who would say "All hail Auntie Sue" as she oversaw the BDO lurch from one disaster to another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Adams 2007 victory (where he beat A-Game, Box Office and Toplad) to Wayne Warren's (where he mostly beat county plodders) in 2020, but Martin had it rather easy in 2010 and 2011.

Wolfie's route to the title in 2010 (opponent's average and seed [if applicable] in brackets)

Fleetfaced 3-0 (65.34)
Gurney 4-1 (85.41)
Glory Gloryhole 5-2 (87.12)
Binman 6-4 (92.94)
Chizzy 7-5 (93.42)

World Master West 3-1 (86.58)
John Boil 4-3 (92.04)
Ross "jobber4life" Smith 5-1 (87.36)
Binman 6-4 (85.89)
Mathematician with Secret of Eternal Youth 7-5 (89.07, #3)

Ten matches, one top 16 seed. Two world titles. Three opponents averaged over 90.

At least now people recognise that who you beat matters. Mark McGeeney being 2nd to Durrant in the BDO isn't doing him much good in the PDC. And I'll admit I was one of those people who thought McGeeney was a great talent but he barely made it through Q-school

I do believe Duzza will reach the top 8 after the 2021 worlds (my guess would be #6). He's already top 8 in the one year system and I think Smith and Gurney have a lot of prize money to defend. Those ranked 9-20 are mostly on their way down except for Clayton, Ratajski and Dobey.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

trotter01 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Gary anderson
Peter Wright
John Henderson
Robert Thornton
Cameron Menzies
Surely The Boss could muscle his way in!
If loyalty means anything then he certainly should! Wright isn't even a proper Jockanese for goodness sake!
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

NvH wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:24 amAnd I'll admit I was one of those people who thought McGeeney was a great talent but he barely made it through Q-school

Eh? McGeeney actually won a card outright at QS on the 2nd (?) day so hardly barely made it! He did ok last year too, made the 3 x majors you’d expect (UK Open, Players finals and world champs).
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

NvH wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:24 am
Rout wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:01 pm Barney is an all time great of darts. A hall of famer. Would make most peoples top 5 darts players in the history of the game.

I dont think anyone has suggested Glen is of that calibre. Not yet anyway.....
It's good to see sensible opinions again. Honest discussions are always better than constant trolling, even if I'm not averse to a bit of :fishing myself.

There was a time when no matter how weak the BDO field got, the BDO stalwarts (who in my opinion are not true BDO fans anyway if they want the Jacklins to keep running the show) would try to put Adams on a par with John Lowe. They weren't interested in the fact that Barney (who had beaten Adams 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2 in their final three major meetings before switching) had to leave before Adams won his first major. Same idiots who would say "All hail Auntie Sue" as she oversaw the BDO lurch from one disaster to another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Adams 2007 victory (where he beat A-Game, Box Office and Toplad) to Wayne Warren's (where he mostly beat county plodders) in 2020, but Martin had it rather easy in 2010 and 2011.

Wolfie's route to the title in 2010 (opponent's average and seed [if applicable] in brackets)

Fleetfaced 3-0 (65.34)
Gurney 4-1 (85.41)
Glory Gloryhole 5-2 (87.12)
Binman 6-4 (92.94)
Chizzy 7-5 (93.42)

World Master West 3-1 (86.58)
John Boil 4-3 (92.04)
Ross "jobber4life" Smith 5-1 (87.36)
Binman 6-4 (85.89)
Mathematician with Secret of Eternal Youth 7-5 (89.07, #3)

Ten matches, one top 16 seed. Two world titles. Three opponents averaged over 90.

At least now people recognise that who you beat matters. Mark McGeeney being 2nd to Durrant in the BDO isn't doing him much good in the PDC. And I'll admit I was one of those people who thought McGeeney was a great talent but he barely made it through Q-school

I do believe Duzza will reach the top 8 after the 2021 worlds (my guess would be #6). He's already top 8 in the one year system and I think Smith and Gurney have a lot of prize money to defend. Those ranked 9-20 are mostly on their way down except for Clayton, Ratajski and Dobey.
Why have you gone on about Martin Adams?

Also McGeeney was excellent at Q school. Final in his 1st day. Qualified in his 2nd
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

phil davies wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:00 am I see no reason why he couldn’t get himself up into the top 6. Gando is likely to drop. MvG, Cross, Wright and Price will be up their in the top 4 still some the end of the season. No reason Durrant couldn’t make himself up to number 5. Smiths their and he’s won nothing of note.
"There"
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

phil davies wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:07 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:05 pm
phil davies wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:00 am I see no reason why he couldn’t get himself up into the top 6. Gando is likely to drop. MvG, Cross, Wright and Price will be up their in the top 4 still some the end of the season. No reason Durrant couldn’t make himself up to number 5. Smiths their and he’s won nothing of note.
"There"
:showbum:
:D :D