The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
NvH
The Ton Club

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by NvH »

mrsheen wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:54 pm
NvH wrote:Another person involved in darts who can barely speak their mother tongue. I know she's Welsh but that's no excuse.
Welsh is certainly not vowel language.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
:grin:
Ginge
International

Re: The BDO Unofficial & Unregulated World Darts Championships 4-12 Jan 2020 Indigo at the O2

Post by Ginge »

Why did they take £7,350 off him? Tax?
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 am
Why did they take £7,350 off him? Tax?
Must have been. VAT was 17.5% back then.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:03 pm Doesn't this prove that there is a market for non-PDC darts?

Why would Eurosport be investing in a dead product?
Eurosport invest (and I use the term loosely as I've heard they pay nothing-very little for pretty much every sport they cover) in a load of crap. They've got to fill their channels with something. Put the channel on at any random time and very rarely will you find anything worth watching.

Have a nice time at Q-school? Had a look at DartConnect to check out the stats from both venues. You were 254th out of 849 players for matches won (55.5%). You can score pretty well (92.3, which puts you 135th), but you were 287th with your three-dart average (80.02) and only 381st with your checkout percentage (29.9).

Unfortunately there weren't 250+ places on offer otherwise you might have had a chance. Interesting that you constantly attack the PDC, yet consistently try to sneak past security to get into their Tour Card "club" so to speak "No trainers, no tracksuits, and no 80 averages" while you're behind not only everyone who already had a TourCard (97 players?), but also the 253 players who finished ahead of you at Q-school.

That probably puts you at somewhere around 350ish in the world. Perhaps lower because a few decent BDO players didn't enter Q-school. You're the Marcus Willis of darts, except that he can say he won a match at Wimbledon and played Roger Federer on centre court. So in a way I agree with you, there is a demand for non PDC darts because it's the only way you'll ever manage to compete in major TV tournaments (I know you've made the UK Open in the past, but I don't recall you playing on TV).
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

NvH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 am
Wazza180 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:03 pm Doesn't this prove that there is a market for non-PDC darts?

Eurosport invest (and I use the term loosely as I've heard they pay nothing-very little for pretty much every sport they cover) in a load of crap. They've got to fill their channels with something. Put the channel on at any random time and very rarely will you find anything worth watching.
Cycling coverage is excellent.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 am

The snooker isnt terrible either, but World Snooker use better production companies than 247tv for those.....
Big Jock Knew
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am
ChrisW wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 am

The snooker isnt terrible either, but World Snooker use better production companies than 247tv for those.....
Cycling is a sport I don't trust but fair enough, each to their own.

As for the snooker, the main tournaments are on the BBC and that's enough for me. Who commentates on Eurosport these days? Foulds was good.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

NvH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am

As for the snooker, the main tournaments are on the BBC and that's enough for me. Who commentates on Eurosport these days? Foulds was good.
Foulds is their main one, and he still is very good (he also does the ITV4 stuff as well). McManus is on there also (as well as ITV4). Anything on the BBC is also on Eurosport, give it a try during the Worlds, you wont have to put up with John Virgo asking WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING!?
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:14 pm
Rout wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 pm Closing in on 5000 posts. What did the ally pally thread get?
Nowhere near.

People who openly profess a liking for the PDC on here spend all their time and effort slagging off the BDO and bizarrely the players within the BDO.

The same posters say PDC darts is more popular and so more will post about it, but look around, that simply is not true, the activity for the BDO's biggest events is more than the PDC's biggest events.

The fanboys show no interest in the PDC yet are very interested in the BDO. It doesn't make sense does it?
Car crashes cause traffic jams with the knock on effect of rubber necking. Hope this helps.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 am
NvH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am

Foulds is their main one, and he still is very good (he also does the ITV4 stuff as well). McManus is on there also (as well as ITV4). Anything on the BBC is also on Eurosport, give it a try during the Worlds, you wont have to put up with John Virgo asking WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING!?
The reason I didn't think they invested much on TV rights is that many years ago a guy called Steve Mottershead (who was involved with darts - mostly the Feeler) said that Eurosport don't pay for a single sport they show. Obviously he was wrong, or he was correct but things have changed since then.

I will have a look at Eurosport during the Crucible, cheers. I do quite like John Virgo in a way though! He's passionate and loves his snooker, unlike Willie Thorne who just cares about betting. I did find it amusing though that he got so broke he had to borrow money from Gary Lineker on more than one occasion.

I don't know if you heard of that "Best of Friends"video that they used to mock on Fantasy Football, but it reminded me of that. Are they actually great mates? Maybe not if the "Great WT" didn't pay him back. Such a cliche!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

NvH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:46 am

The reason I didn't think they invested much on TV rights is that many years ago a guy called Steve Mottershead (who was involved with darts - mostly the Feeler) said that Eurosport don't pay for a single sport they show. Obviously he was wrong, or he was correct but things have changed since then.
Discovery bought them, thats probably what changed. Paid a shedload for the Olympics.
Big Jock Knew
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

In fact, it's more of a cliche than Cilla Black's funeral where all the famous Scousers came out of their skips, council flats and hovels to pay tribute to someone the rest of the nation largely hated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33991635

This almost sounds like someone making a parody of grieving scousers

"A Cliff Richard solo performance, Christopher Biggins taking Holy Communion and a bishop ordering Paul O'Grady to say three Hail Marys - Cilla Black's funeral had the lot."

"Les Dennis hugged his Corrie co-star Ted Robbins. Christopher Biggins delivered a Bible reading from the Book of Wisdom, Jimmy Tarbuck read the Prayers of the Faithful"

Tarbuck called her "The Cinderella of Liverpool". An analogy that still makes no sense. Cinderella was pretty (did Cilla have two even uglier sisters?!) and married her prince charming, while she married some creepy looking local scum. She did likely grow up in a slum though, so there is that.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 am

Discovery bought them, thats probably what changed. Paid a shedload for the Olympics.
They also have the Australian Open tennis, the coverage was pretty good, and that must have cost them a fair bit.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 am

Ah okay. Mottershead was probably talking shite anyway. I guess the argument Eurosport could make for the likes of darts is that they're giving them exposure to a potential audience of 500 million+ (the reality is far more modest, but to have the whole of Europe as a potential audience is something almost unique that you can offer).
Last edited by NvH on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

NvH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am In fact, it's more of a cliche than Cilla Black's funeral where all the famous Scousers came out of their skips, council flats and hovels to pay tribute to someone the rest of the nation largely hated.

"A Cliff Richard solo performance, Christopher Biggins taking Holy Communion and a bishop ordering Paul O'Grady to say three Hail Marys - Cilla Black's funeral had the lot."

"Les Dennis hugged his Corrie co-star Ted Robbins. Christopher Biggins delivered a Bible reading from the Book of Wisdom, Jimmy Tarbuck read the Prayers of the Faithful"

Tarbuck called her "The Cinderella of Liverpool". An analogy that still makes no sense. Cinderella was pretty (did Cilla have two even uglier sisters?!) and married her prince charming, while she married some creepy looking local scum. She did likely grow up in a slum though, so there is that.
Plenty of stuff online about Cilla's behaviour in the first class section of flights. Utter cow she was.
Big Jock Knew
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Ginge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am
NvH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am In fact, it's more of a cliche than Cilla Black's funeral where all the famous Scousers came out of their skips, council flats and hovels to pay tribute to someone the rest of the nation largely hated.

Plenty of stuff online about Cilla's behaviour in the first class section of flights. Utter cow she was.
Yeah I've heard about her being a bitch. The weirdest thing about her though, was her complete lack of talent. Her singing voice was on a par with the sisters from late 90s girl group Cleopatra. (Try and play Cleopatra's Theme and see if you can get all the way through without getting a headache).
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Jesus fuucking christ.
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

Booji Boy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am Jesus fuucking christ.
You called?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

TimmyB wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:41 am
Booji Boy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am Jesus fuucking christ.
You called?
You're not the Messiah, you're just a very naughty boy.