Who is the best player in the world?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Rout
International

Re: Who is the best player in the world?

Post by Rout »

Black Velvet wrote:Durrant is 20th (in the PDC). Let's not use anything but the official measuring stick, just in case someone gets quoted out of context for the next five years.
Six years. Six.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Rout wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:41 pm
Black Velvet wrote:Durrant is 20th (in the PDC). Let's not use anything but the official measuring stick, just in case someone gets quoted out of context for the next five years.
Six years. Six.
My bad! :)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

It was a stupid statement 6 years ago so its worth has not diminished :grin: :grin: ;-)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:21 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:41 am
Black Velvet wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 am If you're that confident that Durrant is the best player in the world, want to put your username on it? If he wins a TV title this year (not euros or streamed event), you get to pick a new username for me and vice versa.
I never said he was the best player in the world. I don't think there is a single best player in the world at the minute. Rather 3 or 4 players who are roughly equal. Those being MVG, Wright, Price and Durrant.
So current holder of 2 majors Cross doesn’t make your list but Duzza does?

Before anyone else moan I like Duzza and he is defiantly in the top 8 in the world and will be ranked such after the worlds if not before.
Exactly, he is in the debate which is a great achievement after a short time but defo around 5-8. But it may be just a matter of time before he goes higher. All about that Major win though at that level.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 pm
nikkiboy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 pm
Booji Boy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:20 pm Mvg is the best player in the world. Durrant currently is the fourth best player but he needs to win a couple of majors in the Pdc and that will not happen easily.
Where would you rate Taylor in a current list, still in the top 10? he's not playing but we all know his drive.
If for whatever bizzare reason he decided he wanted to do the full tour he would still be up their challenging MvG for the number one spot.

But he won’t and doesn’t need to as he doesn’t have anything left to prove.
from the odd snipet on youtube of him in exbo recently I think hes quite a way off now. He looks nowhere near as consistent. The edge has gone, and its not surprising as he 60 odd and retired
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:28 pm
Skewball wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:26 pm
phil davies wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 pm
nikkiboy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 pm
Booji Boy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:20 pm Mvg is the best player in the world. Durrant currently is the fourth best player but he needs to win a couple of majors in the Pdc and that will not happen easily.
Where would you rate Taylor in a current list, still in the top 10? he's not playing but we all know his drive.
If for whatever bizzare reason he decided he wanted to do the full tour he would still be up their challenging MvG for the number one spot.

But he won’t and doesn’t need to as he doesn’t have anything left to prove.
from the odd snipet on youtube of him in exbo recently I think hes quite a way off now. He looks nowhere near as consistent. The edge has gone, and its not surprising as he 60 odd and retired
That’s my point if he decided he wanted to do the full tour (he wasn’t even doing that for years before retirement) then he would still be up their with MvG but he doesn’t have anything to prove anymore.
nah, not for me. I don't think he could get back to his very best which he would need to be at to compete with MVG and Wright at the moment
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Skewball wrote:It was a stupid statement 6 years ago so its worth has not diminished :grin: :grin: ;-)
I'll happily take the grief for the context of what I said 6 years ago. What I find amusing is when people (davidowen) refer to it for results he is getting today.

People said Wes Newton was one of the best handful of players in the world about 6 or so years ago. Averages in the 70s at superleague these days.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Bit of a daft question because it is clearly mixing up form and levels. MVG is the best player in the world by some distance - he plays his A game and he can't be beaten by anyone. There is no disputing his form has taken a dip which makes him vulnerable but if he returns to anything like his best he cleans up. The second best player in the world is Gary Anderson. His A game takes care of everyone bar MVG. Then you have a little clutch of players including Wright, Price, Cross, Gurney, Durrant and Aspinal who are capable of winning tv events. If we are talking about levels rather than form Adrian Lewis deserves to be in the conversation but it's difficult to see him returning to where he was.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

my top 10

1. MVG
2. Wright
3. Price
4. Aspinall
5. Smith
6. Durrant
7. Cross
8. Anderson
9. Gurney
10. Up for grabs
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Incidentally I seem to recall a similar IFM thread/post which had Danny Noppert as one of the best players in the world.....
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Skewball wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:22 pm It was a stupid statement 6 years ago so its worth has not diminished :grin: :grin: ;-)
It wasn’t a statement. Nobody claimed Bunting was the third best player in the world.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

A few years ago the haters would not have put Glen in the top 10.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Edited by Admin.
Last edited by ssjsa on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited following report and Ginge's ignorance of how Roman numerals work.
Big Jock Knew
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

TV titles won by Price = 2

TV titles won by Aspinall = 1

TV titles won by Wright = 2

TV titles won by Glen = 3
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm TV titles won by Price = 2

Durrant has won 8 tv events.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Ha!
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Black Velvet wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Skewball wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:22 pm It was a stupid statement 6 years ago so its worth has not diminished :grin: :grin: ;-)
It wasn’t a statement. Nobody claimed Bunting was the third best player in the world.
Well, he came very very close (it was 4th actually)
The more amusing part of the whole debate for me turned out to be the comparison between White and Bunting. Rout said it was laughable that White was as good as Bunting and to bookmark his post..... :grin:

Anyway, its just quite funny when predictions on here turn out to be wrong. I've had a few myself but I'm happy to continue to make predictions and sometime look silly. No big deal :grin:
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm A few years ago the haters would not have put Glen in the top 10.
Skewy wouldnt today
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:XXXXVIII
That is not the correct way to express that particular number in Roman numerals.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm TV titles won by Price = 2

Swindon Town 2019/2020 league record W21 D6 L8
Chelsea 2019/2020 league record W12 D9 L8