PDC Women's Series

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
PreciesJJ
The Ton Club

PDC Women's Series

Post by PreciesJJ »

The PDC will stage a four-event Women's Series in October 2020, giving players the opportunity to qualify for the William Hill World Darts Championship as well as the Grand Slam of Darts.

Two places in the 2020/21 World Championship will be on offer for female players based on prize money won across the four events to be held on October 17-18 in Cannock.

The mini-tour will replace the two separate qualifying tournaments for the World Championship which have been staged over the past two years, offering £20,000 prize money in total across the four events.

Entry will be £25 per player per event, and the PDC Women's Series will be open to all female players aged 16 and above.

Ahead of the four PDC Women's Series events, a separate, free-to-enter Grand Slam of Darts Qualifier will be staged on Friday October 16, offering one place in November's tournament.

Lisa Ashton became the first woman to win a PDC Tour Card at Qualifying School earlier this year - amongst 16 female players competing in the event - while Fallon Sherrock created history and worldwide headlines with her run to the third round of the 2019/2020 World Championship, defeating Ted Evetts and Mensur Suljovic.

Anastasia Dobromyslova had joined Ashton in qualifying for the 2018/2019 World Championship, while Japan's Mikuru Suzuki competed alongside Sherrock at Alexandra Palace last year.

Ashton and Suzuki also played in the Grand Slam of Darts last year, and could secure another appearance in the event if they win through the qualifier on October 16.

"Women's darts at the top level has never enjoyed as high a profile and this is an important development," said PDC Chief Executive Matthew Porter.

"This year has seen sport worldwide affected by the coronavirus pandemic and it is hugely encouraging at a time when other sports are seeing opportunities for women reduced that we are able to bring in the PDC Women's Series and create a place in the 2020 Grand Slam of Darts.

"We are also retaining two places in the William Hill World Darts Championship for female players, giving them the opportunity to take part in our sport's biggest tournament once again after the historic achievements of Fallon Sherrock last December."

Entry for the PDC Women's Series will be available in due course via www.pdcplayers.com, with players who have not previously competed in PDC events needing to Register with the system first.

2020 PDC Women's Series
Friday October 16 - Grand Slam of Darts Qualifier
Saturday October 17 - PDC Women's Series Events One & Two
Sunday October 18 - PDC Women's Series Events Three & Four

Venue
Chase Leisure Centre
Stafford Road
Cannock
WS11 4AL
Rout
International

Re: PDC Women's Series

Post by Rout »

I'll just leave this hereImage
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Rout wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm I'll just leave this hereImage
They didn’t shoehorn her a tour card.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Having both spread it out of 4 events, _and_ combined the UK and World qualifiers that should make it much easier for Sherrock to qualify, as long as she maintains anything like the standard she's been playing. But I wouldn't call it shoehorning. If her standard drops off a dart, there are at least 3 players who can beat her.

I really like that they've combined the qualifiers, because they were lopsided, and the UK side also added Greaves. I'm sure the PDC want Sherrock in again, but I think they'd be pretty happy with any of Suzuki, Ashton or Greaves as the 2nd player.

With some money as well, they should be able to get all the top women to attend. A prize fund of 5,000 per event is equivalent to 4 BDO Women's Category A+ tournaments.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

It isnt shoehorning in a very literal sense, but theres no doubt this has been created with Fallon in mind and as a result of her recent exploits and there's no doubt they will be hopeful that she is successful as opposed to Maria O'Brien or Mrs Jacklin for example.

Not saying theres anything massively wrong with any of that either. They shouldn't have made it a ranking event imo, and just had it as a genuine invitation tournament.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Rout wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:06 pm It isnt shoehorning in a very literal sense, but theres no doubt this has been created with Fallon in mind and as a result of her recent exploits and there's no doubt they will be hopeful that she is successful as opposed to Maria O'Brien or Mrs Jacklin for example.

Not saying theres anything massively wrong with any of that either. They shouldn't have made it a ranking event imo, and just had it as a genuine invitation tournament.
It's not ranking. But they are charging and paying out money. It might help fill out the field better than the previous winner-takes-all format, which saw a decline in numbers from the first year.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

phil davies wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 pm
1205 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Having both spread it out of 4 events, _and_ combined the UK and World qualifiers that should make it much easier for Sherrock to qualify, as long as she maintains anything like the standard she's been playing. But I wouldn't call it shoehorning. If her standard drops off a dart, there are at least 3 players who can beat her.

I really like that they've combined the qualifiers, because they were lopsided, and the UK side also added Greaves. I'm sure the PDC want Sherrock in again, but I think they'd be pretty happy with any of Suzuki, Ashton or Greaves as the 2nd player.

With some money as well, they should be able to get all the top women to attend. A prize fund of 5,000 per event is equivalent to 4 BDO Women's Category A+ tournaments.
Wouldn’t make her favourite to qualify both Ashton and Suzuki should be favourites to be the two qualifiers from this. Anyway will be intresting to see who enters this and what the standard ends up being. Hopefully a few of the other Asian ladies players come over for it.
Don’t forget she performed in some online bedroom tournament, she’s on fire.....
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

phil davies wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 pm
1205 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Wouldn’t make her favourite to qualify both Ashton and Suzuki should be favourites to be the two qualifiers from this. Anyway will be intresting to see who enters this and what the standard ends up being. Hopefully a few of the other Asian ladies players come over for it.
Don’t forget she performed well in some online bedroom tournament, she’s on fire.....

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm
What a horrific sight.

trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Of course it's a way that improves Fallon's chances of qualifying.. but it also increases the chances of both qualifiers being the best which with one open draw event is likely not to be the case.. so no arguments from me..
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ILAD wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:55 pm
What a horrific sight.
Women?
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:28 pm
ILAD wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:55 pm
What a horrific sight.
Women?
Where?

devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

So will this be the only opportunity (alongside other pdc events) for ladies to appear in a televised event?

And I guess there will he no ladies world championship this next season. Well done des.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Presumably tour card holders (Ashton) are able to play the 4-series event then?
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

1205 wrote:
Rout wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:06 pm It isnt shoehorning in a very literal sense, but theres no doubt this has been created with Fallon in mind and as a result of her recent exploits and there's no doubt they will be hopeful that she is successful as opposed to Maria O'Brien or Mrs Jacklin for example.

It's not ranking. But they are charging and paying out money.
You're gonna have to explain this to me?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Rout wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:00 am
1205 wrote:

I wouldn't call it a ranking event, because it's self-contained and the rank of the players will have no value other than the qualification for the World Championships. Like Q School, you're just a winner or a loser.

And as an aside I think it's very unfair on O'Brien to mention her in the same sentence as Jacklin.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

1205 wrote:
1205 wrote:

I wouldn't call it a ranking event, because it's self-contained and the rank of the players will have no value other than the qualification for the World Championships. Like Q School, you're just a winner or a loser.

And as an aside I think it's very unfair on O'Brien to mention her in the same sentence as Jacklin.
I dont really understand how it only affects the world championship? How does it not affect any of the other tournies like the matchplay, grand prix etc?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Rout wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 am
1205 wrote:
1205 wrote:

I dont really understand how it only affects the world championship? How does it not affect any of the other tournies like the matchplay, grand prix etc?
Because it's a World Championship qualifier, like the Asian Tour, DPA etc, it doesn't go on the main Order of Merit
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote:
Rout wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 am
1205 wrote:
1205 wrote: It's not ranking. But they are charging and paying out money.

Because it's a World Championship qualifier, like the Asian Tour, DPA etc, it doesn't go on the main Order of Merit
Oh this is referring to non tour card holders I assume?

I was speaking in a wider sense when I said they shouldn't have made it a ranking event. Not just about the likes of Fallon.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.