Alan Glazier

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Booji Boy
International

Re: Alan Glazier

Post by Booji Boy »

nikkiboy wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:Best left hander ever, hope he gets better soon.
He was a good player, but saying he's the best left handed player ever is a nonsense.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Played and held his own when Lowe, Rees, George, Lennard and Bristow were in their pomp, also played a lot of big cash games.
People can say Webster or Wade but in my opinion his consistently and longevity trumps them.
Les Wallace was a better player than glazier and competed in very strong fields when he won the world's and the masters. Your blind patriotism is laughable ImageImage

County Player

Post by 1205 »

Wade won his first tournament at 19, his first PDC major at 24, his last one at 35. He's 37 and top 8 in the world. I think he's been doing quite well for himself in his 19 year career so far.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Rout wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:28 pm Top tip: Don't claim you were trolling and then immediately negate that within a few minutes in consecutive posts.

Think that was meant for someone else who can’t be named... :grin:
O C
Superleague Player

Post by O C »

Honestly didn't know he was still around. One of the legends, hope he gets better.
His originals still on sale today (well, assuming the darts are original design) are one of my favorites. A classic.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Booji Boy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:01 pm
nikkiboy wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
He was a good player, but saying he's the best left handed player ever is a nonsense.

Played and held his own when Lowe, Rees, George, Lennard and Bristow were in their pomp, also played a lot of big cash games.
People can say Webster or Wade but in my opinion his consistently and longevity trumps them.
Les Wallace was a better player than glazier and competed in very strong fields when he won the world's and the masters. Your blind patriotism is laughable ImageImage

Wallace is the only player to even have an argument with Wade over who is the best left-handed player in darts history, for the reasons you have given. It isn't an especially strong one, unless you weigh his world title much more heavily than all of Wades major, but non-world title, wins.
Wookiee
Pub Champion

Post by Wookiee »

meetthefeebles wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 am Wallace is the only player to even have an argument with Wade over who is the best left-handed player in darts history, for the reasons you have given. It isn't an especially strong one, unless you weigh his world title much more heavily than all of Wades major, but non-world title, wins.
Masters winner as well. Beat Warriner in the final when (IIRC) Warriner was PDC number 1. Didn't know he'd won, mind. Went back to the oche to start the next leg. Never was the sharpest tool in the box...
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I watched Glazier back in 70's...he was good but Wade is the best left hander ever I think... Wallace had a very short spell when hw was immense but Wade over time by quite a distance
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

My greatest lefties

1. Les Wallace
2. Mark Webster
3. Martin Phillips
4. Alan Glazer
5. James Wade
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

oche balboa wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:56 pm My greatest lefties

1. Les Wallace
2. Mark Webster
3. Martin Phillips
4. Alan Glazer
5. James Wade
Agreed . Maybe Wade a bit lower.
Last edited by ChrisW on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

meetthefeebles wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 am
Booji Boy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:01 pm
nikkiboy wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

Wallace is the only player to even have an argument with Wade over who is the best left-handed player in darts history, for the reasons you have given. It isn't an especially strong one, unless you weigh his world title much more heavily than all of Wades major, but non-world title, wins.
In the final set of the 97 Final Les took out 96, 137 and 130 to win it. He really was a brilliant player albeit over a relatively short period of time.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Wookiee wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 am
meetthefeebles wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 am Wallace is the only player to even have an argument with Wade over who is the best left-handed player in darts history, for the reasons you have given. It isn't an especially strong one, unless you weigh his world title much more heavily than all of Wades major, but non-world title, wins.
Masters winner as well. Beat Warriner in the final when (IIRC) Warriner was PDC number 1. Didn't know he'd won, mind. Went back to the oche to start the next leg. Never was the sharpest tool in the box...
I forgot all about him doing that. Just had a watch on YouTube. Great player, thick as mince :grin:
County Player

Post by 1205 »

meetthefeebles wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:06 pm
I forgot all about him doing that. Just had a watch on YouTube. Great player, thick as mince :grin:
Probably senses dulled.

From 2001, when he was jailed for dangerous driving:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1694184.stm
BBC wrote: Wallace then abandoned the car and ran off chased by a police officer who caught him when he fell over.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

1205 wrote:
Probably senses dulled.

BBC wrote: Wallace then abandoned the car and ran off chased by a police officer who caught him when he fell over.
2001 was a bad year for darts world champions and being found guilty in court cases.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

1205 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:51 pm
Probably senses dulled.

As I said. Thick as mince.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:04 pm
oche balboa wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:56 pm My greatest lefties

1. Les Wallace
2. Mark Webster
3. Martin Phillips
4. Alan Glazer
5. James Wade
Agreed . Maybe Wade a bit lower.

The thing about Wade is that he’s never been a world champion (yet) and most of his major wins have been when Taylor at his prime was already beaten. Always think it’s a little harsh that label as you can only beat what’s in front of you but factoring those things in makes the talk about best left handlers ever much closer than those who only know darts since the premier league started might believe it is!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

phil davies wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:30 pm Their have only been 2 left handed world champions Wallace was only a good player for a very short period of time before rapidly falling. Webster won a world championship in the time where BDO worlds fields had significantly dropped in terms of quality strength in depth. Webster had a decent career in the PDC but I don’t think it is in any way comparable to the longterm successes Wade has achieved he has been a top player for almost 15 years now. Their are very few players in darts history who can say that.
I like Webster, but his World Pro title win was a run against Ian Jones, Glenn Moody, Finton, Adams and Whitlock.

There have been tougher lists of opponents to win titles.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 pm
phil davies wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:30 pm Their have only been 2 left handed world champions Wallace was only a good player for a very short period of time before rapidly falling. Webster won a world championship in the time where BDO worlds fields had significantly dropped in terms of quality strength in depth. Webster had a decent career in the PDC but I don’t think it is in any way comparable to the longterm successes Wade has achieved he has been a top player for almost 15 years now. Their are very few players in darts history who can say that.
I like Webster, but his World Pro title win was a run against Ian Jones, Glenn Moody, Finton, Adams and Whitlock.

There has also been easier ones.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 pm

There has also been easier ones.

Correct. The last three opponents were tough matches, no one can say that was an easy run given Adams was defending champ and Whitlock soon made the PDC world final...

Take a look at who Wade beat to win some of his early titles...
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Wade's 2008 UK open win

Pipe
Steve Brown
Baxter
Tabern
Van der Voort
Mawson
"Deserved Better"