International

Re: Barney to go to Q school

Post by Murphio »

Predictable.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

phil davies wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 pm So one year away proved to much for him then. Probably a lot down to the fact he can’t do a load of exbo’s like he was hoping for due to covid.
Aye, Julia's jewellery isn't going to buy itself.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

I don’t think he get thru the euro q school if actually takes places anyway definitely won’t the UK one For me and he have to start from scratch to get into most events
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wouldn't be surprised if he's ring rusty and struggles at Q-School. That would be very funny.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Did he also announce that if he regains his card he'll play the full tour?
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:44 pm Wouldn't be surprised if he's ring rusty and struggles at Q-School. That would be very funny.
Can't see him do it.
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

wonder why barry isn't giving him a two year card for being a former 'legend' as he does in snooker with white, doherty, etc?
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I'll only believe it when he throws his first dart on day 1 at QS.... I reckon he is probably well capable of getting a card if his head is right and he is motivated enough... Whether he would then be up to starting at 0 and playing every leisure centre event and Euro qualifier I much doubt but we'll see...

I imagine there's pressure on the PDC to create tour card wildcards like snooker for the likes of Barney and Taylor if he wants one, then they'd have to give one to Part who's won more PDC world titles than Barney... There is much more depth in darts than snooker and some really good players don't get cards which doesn't really happen in snooker so I van not see them going down that road
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

trotter01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:59 pm I'll only believe it when he throws his first dart on day 1 at QS.... I reckon he is probably well capable of getting a card if his head is right and he is motivated enough... Whether he would then be up to starting at 0 and playing every leisure centre event and Euro qualifier I much doubt but we'll see...

I imagine there's pressure on the PDC to create tour card wildcards like snooker for the likes of Barney and Taylor if he wants one, then they'd have to give one to Part who's won more PDC world titles than Barney... There is much more depth in darts than snooker and some really good players don't get cards which doesn't really happen in snooker so I van not see them going down that road
We are discussing Barney not DBG!
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
SAFC
Superleague Player

Post by SAFC »

ILAD wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:32 pm
trotter01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:59 pm I'll only believe it when he throws his first dart on day 1 at QS.... I reckon he is probably well capable of getting a card if his head is right and he is motivated enough... Whether he would then be up to starting at 0 and playing every leisure centre event and Euro qualifier I much doubt but we'll see...

We are discussing Barney not DBG!
Now now now DBG hits constant 120 averages :DDD:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Neither of those 2 things have applied for years.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Only ever looked motivated playing MVG, looked uninterested the rest of the time. Couldn’t be arsed to turn up to pro tour events for years despite claiming every single year just before the premier league selection process that he would play the full tour.

Even if he makes it through Q School, starting from £0 is gonna be some effort to make it into any TV tourney.

Unless the PDC is gonna bring in some weird rule that if you retire and comeback and win a card your previous earned money stays on the order of merit.

How much did barney win in 2019?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

TheSandman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:42 pm Only ever looked motivated playing MVG, looked uninterested the rest of the time. Couldn’t be arsed to turn up to pro tour events for years despite claiming every single year just before the premier league selection process that he would play the full tour.

Even if he makes it through Q School, starting from £0 is gonna be some effort to make it into any TV tourney.

Unless the PDC is gonna bring in some weird rule that if you retire and comeback and win a card your previous earned money stays on the order of merit.

How much did barney win in 2019?
I would be interested to see what hapens with ranking pounds from 2020/2021. If he makes it at Q school (if there is one) and sticks at it who knows.
There may be very little ranking opportunities in the next year.
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

If he gets a card, great. If he doesn’t, hard luck.
Even McGeeney and Ashton could get one ffs.
daraghj82
Steady Sixties

Post by daraghj82 »

its the year for comebacks with Hendry in snooker making a return and now barney in darts ! I hope it goes well for him, maybe phil will be next to attempt a comeback
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

The legends instead of the contenders in the Premier League is interesting and would get publicity but outside of Taylor and Barney who else is there seriously out there who would be genuinely competitive and that's assuming those two would be competitive in the first place.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

trotter01 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm The legends instead of the contenders in the Premier League is interesting and would get publicity but outside of Taylor and Barney who else is there seriously out there who would be genuinely competitive and that's assuming those two would be competitive in the first place.
Darts is an easy game that takes practice to be a top player. It also has a consistent set-up with an absolute measurement of performance so you _know_ when a player is shit.

"Legends" darts can work well in an exhibition setting where people can get close to and interact with the players.
But it can't work in a setting where the focus is on performance. The Premier League is the wrong place for it.
Gruntface
Pub Champion

Post by Gruntface »

Is there any evidence he's sorted his mental issues out? The guy was clearly in a bad place at the end of his pdc career and if he hasn't dealt with the underlying issues this is the last thing he should do.

He doesn't relish the grind and will have to qualify against much hungrier and more focused players for every competition of value, even if his talent does get him through q school.

I wish him the best but don't see this going well for him.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

1205 wrote:
trotter01 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm The legends instead of the contenders in the Premier League is interesting and would get publicity but outside of Taylor and Barney who else is there seriously out there who would be genuinely competitive and that's assuming those two would be competitive in the first place.
Darts is an easy game that takes practice to be a top player. It also has a consistent set-up with an absolute measurement of performance so you _know_ when a player is shit.

"Legends" darts can work well in an exhibition setting where people can get close to and interact with the players.
But it can't work in a setting where the focus is on performance. The Premier League is the wrong place for it.
The focus on the premier league is money and alcohol.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.