Q School 2021

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
malcy93
Pub Champion

Re: Q School 2021

Post by malcy93 »

Given these are jobbers trying to get tour cards it’s definitely not elite sport in the same way non league football is.
So the U.K. qualifiers must at least be delayed again.

Boris said they will think again for late February after school half term but only if all the top four priority groups
Over 70s
Care homes
Medical staff
Those with critical medical conditions
Have been vaccinated which is the current plan.

Best the PDC can hope for is it may be possible to run in March.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

There's no way on earth they're going to get all those groups vaccinated in less than two months. The fact you've already got the government, medical regulator, and drug companies all fighting like ferrets in a sack over whose fault it will be when they don't achieve it tells you all you need to know.

I think Ginge has got the right idea. Bin Q-school off this year and give all 2020 card holders another go.

Trying to put together a season on the assumption you might be able to get Q-school out of the way at some point in the future is a fool's errand.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The only issue with my plan would be the quarter of a million plus in revenue in entry fees they woule be saying goodbye to.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

That's a problem, definitely.

But they can't wait around for ever. At some point in the near future they're going to need to know which 128 players have got tour cards for 2021.

Waiting for Matt Hancock to get his act together is asking for trouble.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Or tell people who have lost their Tourcard anyway that its tough and you will have to spend time on the challenge tour. Have the 38-40 cards taken up by the top players in the Challenge Tour & Development tour and have them as 1 year cards so if they fail to get to the top 64 they are doing Q School in 2022.

PDC are not going to start anything (Outside the Masters) until March. So its better to just hit the ground running with the season instead of Q School and push the UK Open back with the Premier League. PDC did a fine job from June. So it should be no issue regardless of the rescrictions from March onwards.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Ginge wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:40 am The only issue with my plan would be the quarter of a million plus in revenue in entry fees they woule be saying goodbye to.
Quarter of a million is a small percentage.

Target April, and have a compressed year. Cancel World Series again, and it frees up a bunch of weeks in the summer for PCs.

Given the skew in severe cases, should see hospitalisation rates drop significantly as the vulnerable groups get vaccinations (which will be much easier now Oxford-AstraZeneca is approved) which means that by April getting a controlled event approved should be much easier.
Last edited by 1205 on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

boris now saying plans to lift lockdown will run to end of march, more likely to over-run than end sooner
Eastbourne
Steady Sixties

Post by Eastbourne »

I’d imagine a ‘Spring Series’type event for the lack of players championships will happen - but they have a decision to make on Q School...
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Eastbourne wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am I’d imagine a ‘Spring Series’type event for the lack of players championships will happen - but they have a decision to make on Q School...
Exactly they really need to be doing a Spring Series of 5 PC events BCD in Milton Keynes in March.
However they don’t have 128 tour card holders and as said can’t see how they can have Q School before.

As noted surely the fairest approach is keep the 128 tour card holders from last year and then just throw out anyone not in top 64 at end 2021. There wasn’t a full tour last year so that may well have impacted some players last year. Particularly with the number of ET and PC cancelled.
Eastbourne
Steady Sixties

Post by Eastbourne »

malcy93 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:57 pm
Eastbourne wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am I’d imagine a ‘Spring Series’type event for the lack of players championships will happen - but they have a decision to make on Q School...
Exactly they really need to be doing a Spring Series of 5 PC events BCD in Milton Keynes in March.
However they don’t have 128 tour card holders and as said can’t see how they can have Q School before.

As noted surely the fairest approach is keep the 128 tour card holders from last year and then just throw out anyone not in top 64 at end 2021. There wasn’t a full tour last year so that may well have impacted some players last year. Particularly with the number of ET and PC cancelled.
Yep agreed. This year certainly wasn’t normal. We see some players have amazing weekends and then play poor the next. Given last year was mainly 3 blocks of competition, it didn’t suit some in and around the 64-128 mark in my opinion. Keep it as it is is surely best as Q School really isn’t an option. Or run a much smaller Q School only with those who have played challenge tour last year and those who have lost their card last year? Something like that..? They’re clearly trying to keep Joe Public away from playing anyway with their new seeding rules....
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

its sharron ferrock i feel for, sod the other card holders, a world tour awaited
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

You could play a mini Q-School with those ejected from tour (65 and below) and some invited others from top of Challenge Tour, Development Tour and Women’s Series (to bring in Deta and Fallon) so you have 64 players in U.K. and probably only 32 in Europe that would be manageable as a BCD bubble.

Problem though may be the Europe one as travel around the EU is also very much restricted at present. Guess if in Germany, Dutch players could drive but it would exclude most others. Plus international players whether ex tour or invited unless they stayed in U.K. or Europe aren’t going to be allowed back in for Q-School.

Without a tour card you can’t claim you are an elite sportsperson so international travel is restricted as for all of us.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

malcy93 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 am You could play a mini Q-School with those ejected from tour (65 and below) and some invited others from top of Challenge Tour, Development Tour and Women’s Series
Stopped reading at that point.....
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
malcy93 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 am You could play a mini Q-School with those ejected from tour (65 and below) and some invited others from top of Challenge Tour, Development Tour and Women’s Series
I’m sure though Hearn would like more Women in the 128 tour card holders. Helps for PC reasons in getting good press and attracting sponsors and TV these days.

I am sure he would love Deta and Fallon to join Lisa in the 128 on tour.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

malcy93 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:32 am
DavidOwen67 wrote:
I’m sure though Hearn would like more Women in the 128 tour card holders. Helps for PC reasons in getting good press and attracting sponsors and TV these days.

No. He absolutely wouldn't. Imagine Rachel Brooks chucking her 62 averages on the ProTour.

What he actually wanted was Fallon Sherrock and no others but it backfired and he got Lisa Ashton.
SAFC
Superleague Player

Post by SAFC »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:38 am
malcy93 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:32 am
DavidOwen67 wrote:

No. He absolutely wouldn't. Imagine Rachel Brooks chucking her 62 averages on the ProTour.

What he actually wanted was Fallon Sherrock and no others but it backfired and he got Lisa Ashton.
This

Sherrock isn't good enough fact.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Sherrock will likely end up much better than Ashton, hits much better averages in patches. Her ceiling is higher.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Black Velvet wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:20 pm Sherrock will likely end up much better than Ashton, hits much better averages in patches. Her ceiling is higher.
Needs to be the size of that conk. :grin:
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ILAD wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:26 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:20 pm Sherrock will likely end up much better than Ashton, hits much better averages in patches. Her ceiling is higher.
Needs to be the size of that conk. :grin:
Beat me to it :D
chateauman
Steady Sixties

Post by chateauman »

For all the conjecture, it appears qualifying school is going ahead as planned given this update yesterday.

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2021/01/07/2021 ... ies-update