Development Tour 2021

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Rout
International

Re: Development Tour 2021

Post by Rout »

ChrisW wrote:How do you know they think of themselves as journalists.
Most of them won't. They are just creating content as a hobby like him. Just another argument with himself.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
RIPLionheart
Brass Darts

Post by RIPLionheart »

Legally the blogger v journalist issue still a greyish area. I won’t quote cases etc as they are easily accessible on line, as are a host of articles.
As in the discussion above, defining oneself as either a blogger or journalist doesn’t really matter, until that is someone tries to sue you.
It’s at that point bloggers either claim they are citizen journalist, or conversely, vehemently deny they are journalists. In general, the judges (in Europe and USA at least) tend to follow the same path: it doesn’t matter if it’s in print or online, as a blogger (and this tends to be defined as anyone who writes regularly on a given subject) you can expect to be both protected by, and penalised, by the law to the same extent as a writer for a red top.
For example, in a very recent case involving harassment over a blog, the judge stated: “Counsel for the defendant argued that the blogs, tweets and complaints were published in the context of Mr Saunders’ activities as a citizen journalist, and these publications were entitled to the same protection as those of the mainstream press.”
The blogger in question won his case.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

My problem is the blogger is entitled to free speech on his blog, unless he is inciting murder,and other criminal activity.

You dont have to be a journalist to be entitled to free speech, this notion of just claiming "I am a journalist" because you put words on a keyboard is ridiculous, they are just opinionated assholes like I am, but at least I am under no illusions about it.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Little Lonely Garry
International

Kevin Doets wins Euro dev tour # 3

Dom Taylor wins UK Tour #3
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Garry Murphy wrote:My problem is the blogger is entitled to free speech on his blog, unless he is inciting murder,and other criminal activity.

You dont have to be a journalist to be entitled to free speech.
Everyone is entitled to free speech. Whether or not you are a 'blogger' or not is irrelevant. Who is claiming it is only journalists?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Rout wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:11 pm
Garry Murphy wrote:My problem is the blogger is entitled to free speech on his blog, unless he is inciting murder,and other criminal activity.

You dont have to be a journalist to be entitled to free speech.
Everyone is entitled to free speech. Whether or not you are a 'blogger' or not is irrelevant. Who is claiming it is only journalists?
of course everyone is entitled to free speech, who said they weren't ?

but as usual you just want to jump in, and argue for the sake of it because its all you have, you are so predictable.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

So what does this mean? What is the point you are making here?

"My problem is the blogger is entitled to free speech on his blog, unless he is inciting murder,and other criminal activity.

You dont have to be a journalist to be entitled to free speech"
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Garry Murphy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:20 pm Kevin Doets wins Euro dev tour # 3

Dom Taylor wins UK Tour #3
Niels Zonneveld wins Euro Dev tour #4

Dom Taylor in the final with Liam Meek in the UK Dev tour #4
RIPLionheart
Brass Darts

Post by RIPLionheart »

FFS gents, it is not hard to grasp: you don’t need to actively incite murder on a blog to be sued.
I quoted a VERY recent case where(-and it’s only me opinion) it proved that if you you have the time, money and inclination you can cripple a blogger/journalist very quickly. I’d love to have gone to war on behalf of Cave-in, Bunting, “Adulterer@ RVB etc back in the day
RIPLionheart
Brass Darts

Post by RIPLionheart »

Garry Murphy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:51 pm My problem is the blogger is entitled to free speech on his blog, unless he is inciting murder,and other criminal activity.

You dont have to be a journalist to be entitled to free speech, this notion of just claiming "I am a journalist" because you put words on a keyboard is ridiculous, they are just opinionated assholes like I am, but at least I am under no illusions about it.
I think that was my point: if you are a blogger and someone comes after you legally it matters not a jot whether you claim to be a “journalist” or not.
Little Lonely Garry
International

RIPLionheart wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 pm
Garry Murphy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:51 pm My problem is the blogger is entitled to free speech on his blog, unless he is inciting murder,and other criminal activity.

I think that was my point: if you are a blogger and someone comes after you legally it matters not a jot whether you claim to be a “journalist” or not.
I am in total agreement with you in may aspects

my argument was the semantics of what constitutes a journalist in the technical tense.
when you see guys interview players and the stuff that passes for news you have question is it really what you term as news.

when a player, for example dimitri qualifies for the slam and the "news" is "dimitri says he wants to win the slam" is that actual news ?
Of course he wants to win, so does every other player in the comp, its hardly what I think of a news headline.

I accept with the pdc calendar , covid etc they need something to fill their sites, but some of the stuff passing off as news is laughable and hardly what i would class as a form of journalism

Still i am sure some will beg to differ, but that is just my opinion, which will illicit the same people moaning no doubt
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

If you insult people via written word, you shouldn’t be surprised if you get something back for it.
A slap perfectly reasonable.
Little Lonely Garry
International

yes, thats how you deal with people , you just threaten to slap them, thats how things work.

Look how successful that policy was for the selectas and others in the bdo :DDD:
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

RJR running away with it in the Euro DT.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Demolition_fan wrote:

If you insult people via written word, you shouldn’t be surprised if you get something back for it.
A slap perfectly reasonable.
Can't be doing with people who resort to violence.

I have a lot of time for people who issue insults all day long though. Especially when they mock peoples disabilities. Oh the hilarity!
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Some interesting results
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Schmutzy v Rusty Jr in the final.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Rusty wins. That's three on the trot.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:14 pm Rusty wins. That's three on the trot.
Even if he didn't win another game, he'd be at least 4400 ahead of the next player. If he wins this tournament, he'll be almost 7000 ahead with only 4 events left.

Beat Zonneveld in the last 64.
Now into the quarters.
That should be OK, either Heldt or Verberk.
Semi-final would be against Gavlas or Nentjes.
The top players seem to be stacked in his (bottom) half.