2022 PDC World Darts Championships

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
meetthefeebles
County Player

Re: 2022 PDC World Darts Championships

Post by meetthefeebles »

Fair play to Wright. In the two main tourneys, he's turned up and run through the field with some brilliant performances.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

meetthefeebles wrote:Not seeing how Smith bottled that. He barely got a shot except a few bulls from 5-4, 2-0. Wright just blew him away when he finally clicked into top gear.
Wright averaged 113 the last 2 sets ffs. The very definition of his opponent bottling it, clearly.
Big Jock Knew
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

WizardofozFan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:23 pm Averages still 99 & 95. Without that one horrid leg at the start, they'd be around 101 & 97.

Moments of brilliance from both, but some very off legs too. The 1/4s and 1/2s catching up with both of them, Wright especially looks jaded. Yes it's only throwing darts, but it's hours and hours of mental concentration under extreme pressure.
Well how Wright found that extra gear was unbelievable. Smith didn't do too much wrong but wasn't at his absolute best, he ended with a 99.22 average from 101 at the end of the 9th set. Wright conversely went from 95 up to 98.34 at the end and barely missed a double in those final 3 sets.

Commiserations to Smith, but congratulations to Peter Wright. And shutting up all the idiots in the crowd who so desperately wanted anyone but a Scot to win, very sad on their part.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

meetthefeebles wrote:Not seeing how Smith bottled that. He barely got a shot except a few bulls from 5-4, 2-0. Wright just blew him away when he finally clicked into top gear.
Was on 110 after 15 darts thrown in a leg to go 6-4 up on his own throw

Only hit one more 180 in the remainder of the match when being on 23 up till that point.

He definitely bottled it. Big time.

Last edited by Rout on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

WizardofozFan wrote:
WizardofozFan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:23 pm Averages still 99 & 95. Without that one horrid leg at the start, they'd be around 101 & 97.

Moments of brilliance from both, but some very off legs too. The 1/4s and 1/2s catching up with both of them, Wright especially looks jaded. Yes it's only throwing darts, but it's hours and hours of mental concentration under extreme pressure.
Well how Wright found that extra gear was unbelievable. Smith didn't do too much wrong but wasn't at his absolute best, he ended with a 99.22 average from 101 at the end of the 9th set. Wright conversely went from 95 up to 98.34 at the end and barely missed a double in those final 3 sets.

Commiserations to Smith, but congratulations to Peter Wright. And shutting up all the idiots in the crowd who so desperately wanted anyone but a Scot to win, very sad on their part.
Never mind that, you havent answered my question.
Big Jock Knew
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

No idea where this idea that Smith choked there is coming from. He hit three of the six paltry chances at double he got in the last three sets. Two of the three he missed were darts at bull.

He averaged 105 in the last two sets. He just got blown away - Wright found his top level and it was too good for Smith, like it is too good for everyone else
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:42 pm
Wright averaged 113 the last 2 sets ffs. The very definition of his opponent bottling it, clearly.
People will make the assertions they want to regardless of the truth. If they want to say Smith bottled it, they will sadly. Phenomenal final 10 legs from Peter Wright there, unplayable.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

I'm not having that he bottled that. That last leg of the tenth set was crucial, but he just got blown away after it. Two of the three doubles he missed were bull outshots

I'm no Smith fan. Cannot stand him, in fact. But he just got battered when it mattered.Image
Last edited by meetthefeebles on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:45 pm
WizardofozFan wrote:

Never mind that, you havent answered my question.
I can answer it for you. The cock obvs.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

meetthefeebles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:45 pm No idea where this idea that Smith choked there is coming from. He hit three of the six paltry chances at double he got in the last three sets. Two of the three he missed were darts at bull.

He averaged 105 in the last two sets. He just got blown away - Wright found his top level and it was too good for Smith, like it is too good for everyone else
Absolutely.

Overall Michael played a great match. At 5-4 up Smith had done amazingly well, however huge credit to Peter who just upped his game to a phenomenal standard in those last 3 sets.

Last edited by ssjsa on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

meetthefeebles wrote:I'm not having that he bottled that. That last leg of the tenth set was crucial, but he just got blown away after it. Two of the three doubles he missed were bull outshots

I'm no Smith fan. Cannot stand him, in fact. But he just got battered when it mattered.Image
I think both things are true. Wright blew him away. But that only happened because Smith let him in. He was the superior player for the majority of the game.

Not one of his worst chokes, but a choke nonetheless.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Rout wrote:
meetthefeebles wrote:I'm not having that he bottled that. That last leg of the tenth set was crucial, but he just got blown away after it. Two of the three doubles he missed were bull outshots

I think both things are true. Wright blew him away. But that only happened because Smith let him in. He was the superior player for the majority of the game.

Not one of his worst chokes, but a choke nonetheless.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not having that a player averaging 105 and reducing to three dart combination bull outshots as the only chances he gets because the other bloke is averaging 113 has choked.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Overall, an.odd WC, that. I thought it mostly garbage for the most part but in the last few days we had some real great games. Smith v Clayton started it off but then the standard really improved (except Wade) and we had some classic matches. Even the final was a tense, gripping watch.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

What about the rest of the game? There were 12 sets, not 2. If it wasn't the final Smith would have been several sets up like he has done for most of the tournament.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Just watching darts gold from 2016 on after the final, even in just the last few years the targets look bigger. Especially the bull.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Both played a similar standard for 10 sets, the best 2 players the past 3 weeks or so, and then Wright went mental. That isnt a "choke" by any definition.
Big Jock Knew
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Wade would’ve beat Smith tonight. Smith would’ve played worse.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

He did choke to be fair. Lost his 'standard' from the whole of the tournament. But Wright was just the better long game player.
The long game player usually wins a best of 13 sets World Championship.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

meetthefeebles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:39 pm Not seeing how Smith bottled that. He barely got a shot except a few bulls from 5-4, 2-0. Wright just blew him away when he finally clicked into top gear.
He Choked.

do you know why he had so few darts at doubles ?
Because he choked in his scoring too,his scoring was shit he could not get shots at doubles on his own throw.

thats choking ...what had he...one max after being 5-4 up and 2 legs up ?
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:He did choke to be fair. Lost his 'standard' from the whole of the tournament. But Wright was just the better long game player.
The long game player usually wins a best of 13 sets World Championship.
You know Smith was averaging 105 those last two sets himself aye?
Big Jock Knew