2022 PDC World Darts Championships

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
oche balboa
International

Re: 2022 PDC World Darts Championships

Post by oche balboa »

Smith was blown away. Didn't bottle it
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Ginge wrote:Both played a similar standard for 10 sets, the best 2 players the past 3 weeks or so, and then Wright went mental. That isnt a "choke" by any definition.
Basically, this. Neither played their best, which isn't entirely unusual for a final, but Smith was averaging around 99 for the first ten sets. That's not choking. He won some sets he probably should have lost and lost some he probably should have won. Then Wright went berserk and blitzed him.

I think people are (wrongly) criticising Smith based on the (rightly) criticised antics of his in the past, here.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Fucking hell, even Oche agrees with me. This truly is end of days.
Big Jock Knew
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

ChrisW wrote:He did choke to be fair. Lost his 'standard' from the whole of the tournament. But Wright was just the better long game player.
The long game player usually wins a best of 13 sets World Championship.
Smith average 99 overall and 105 at the death. He actually got better at the end, not worse.
waddle147
Pub Champion

Post by waddle147 »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:06 pm Both played a similar standard for 10 sets, the best 2 players the past 3 weeks or so, and then Wright went mental. That isnt a "choke" by any definition.
I do think that a serial winner like Price or Clayton would have found a way to steal the odd leg during Wright's barrage, and ultimately put a bit more doubt in his mind, but that's judging Smith by the absolute highest modern standards.

All but three or four current players would have been similarly steamrolled.
aka JRWFSL147

Bitter and hardened heart...
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:Both played a similar standard for 10 sets
Yeah that's kinda the point. Wright was really off the pace for the majority of the game but managed to trade sets. He should have been clear. He gave Wright hope to do what he did at the end.

Choke is probably too harsh a word. But he lacks the bottle to hurt opponents when it matters most and that showed again in this match.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

You are downgrading it, at least. Bravo.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

meetthefeebles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:12 pm
ChrisW wrote:He did choke to be fair. Lost his 'standard' from the whole of the tournament. But Wright was just the better long game player.
Smith average 99 overall and 105 at the death. He actually got better at the end, not worse.
He missed key doubles and scoring at key periods. When Wright was getting on top.
Choke!
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

meetthefeebles wrote:
Ginge wrote:Both played a similar standard for 10 sets, the best 2 players the past 3 weeks or so, and then Wright went mental. That isnt a "choke" by any definition.
Basically, this. Neither played their best, which isn't entirely unusual for a final, but Smith was averaging around 99 for the first ten sets.
Whilst Wright was around the 93 mark but yet Wright led for most of that time. That's where he lacked bottle for me. Didn't do enough when he was on top and I think in any other game but a final he would have been 6-3 up or so.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:You are downgrading it, at least. Bravo.
Thanks. What do I win?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Eartha Kitt
Feather Flights

Post by Eartha Kitt »

meetthefeebles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:12 pm
While I agree he didn't choke I think the stats aren't telling the whole story here. I think there was a slight dip in his performance but his average went up due to Wright not really letting him have any darts at double towards the end
Last edited by Eartha Kitt on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

A word for Emma Paton. Don’t know whether she’s been officially signed off for the gig full time to replace Dave Clark, but she is 100% there for me. She has been excellent all tournament.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Dannyboy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:19 pm A word for Emma Paton. Don’t know whether she’s been officially signed off for the gig full time to replace Dave Clark, but she is 100% there for me. She has been excellent all tournament.
Very well said. Both her & Laura absolutely love the darts, both have an incredibly relaxed style and know their stuff most importantly. Always a shame when we get to this moment that the 3 weeks of action are over!
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Dannyboy wrote:
Rout wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:37 pm Tournament averages:

Wright: 100.66
Smith: 100.65

180s:

Wright: 55
Smith: 59

(Record is 71)

Checkout %

Wright: 40.10
Smith: 47.57
Hang on, I thought PDC darts was predictable.
Just to revisit this...... world number 2 and holder of 2nd most important title this season beating the serial final bottler after a semi final line up containing 4 of the world's top 10......

Agree with you on Paton though.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

meetthefeebles wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:03 pm Overall, an.odd WC, that. I thought it mostly garbage for the most part but in the last few days we had some real great games. Smith v Clayton started it off but then the standard really improved (except Wade) and we had some classic matches. Even the final was a tense, gripping watch.
As you say, barring Wade & King battling (and credit to them for finding a way), but ultimately dragging the standard down, there were some titanic matches. Smith-Clayton just about takes the biscuit for game of the tournament as neither wilted or stopped hitting either trebles or doubles.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Two composed & classy interviews at the end from both men. Having spent most of the match facing "Scotland get battered" as well as boos & whistles throughout, Wright thanks the crowd followed by genuine words for Michael, who himself will take so many positives from these 3 weeks.

Remember Peter was in the top 8 of the world for around 3 and a half years before winning a big TV title thanks to van Gerwen & Taylor's dominance, Smith is only 31 and has ample opportunities ahead of him.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

WizardofozFan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:48 pm Two composed & classy interviews at the end from both men. Having spent most of the match facing "Scotland get battered" as well as boos & whistles throughout, Wright thanks the crowd followed by genuine words for Michael, who himself will take so many positives from these 3 weeks.

Remember Peter was in the top 8 of the world for around 3 and a half years before winning a big TV title thanks to van Gerwen & Taylor's dominance, Smith is only 31 and has ample opportunities ahead of him.
"He let me in there"
"Practise your doubles, Michael"

Smith wouldn't have wanted to hear that
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Tayloresque comments.
Unusual from Wright.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

oche balboa wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:51 pm
WizardofozFan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:48 pm Two composed & classy interviews at the end from both men. Having spent most of the match facing "Scotland get battered" as well as boos & whistles throughout, Wright thanks the crowd followed by genuine words for Michael, who himself will take so many positives from these 3 weeks.

"He let me in there"
"Practise your doubles, Michael"

Smith wouldn't have wanted to hear that
The doubles comment was a joke, as he clarified, it seemed though that he had maybe said that to him after a match before as a bit of feedback. Other than that he said some genuinely nice things, imagine what Price would have said....
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Got to say I thought it was a great tournament. Lots of drama and some fantastic match ups from the L64 onwards (heck Cross v Barney at that stage is ridiculous!)

Darts is only going one direction. Under Eddie Hearn I can see his footprint increasingly going on the sport in the next 12 months - I think with his boxing record, he will be able to exploit it even better than his father.