Why are there no black darts players?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Immiketurus
Feather Flights

Re: Why are there no black darts players?

Post by Immiketurus »

It's just a matter of image. Being publicly on show drinking beer (or whatever alcohol) while playing a game which now styles itself as a sport is incongruous.
But that doesn't stop people from having had a few drinks in private before playing.
It's just about what's on show.
But we digress...
Last edited by Immiketurus on Tue May 18, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Double1
Brass Darts

Post by Double1 »

The 1970s and 80s were to be the “Golden Years” of darts because in 1988 the TV programme called “Not The 9’O Clock News” did a particularly vitriolic sketch on darts which put the players in a very bad light. The newspapers were quick to pick up on the aspect of heavy drinking portrayed and the press destroyed the image of the game. Attempts were made to clean up the image with players being told to drink water on stage on TV. Some players such as Jockey Wilson even started fitness campaigns but it was to no avail and in 1988 all ITV coverage of the game was scrapped and the BBC only screened the Embassy competition.

What is it about blaming that sketch, it was done in 1980, darts boomed after that sketch. :CCCCC:
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

What is it about blaming that sketch, it was done in 1980, darts boomed after that sketch
I agree, anyone with any sense knows that “Not The 9’O Clock News” was a comedy show and surely can't be blamed for the demise of alcohol in darts, I didn't notice a sketch on snooker, but this didn't stop the ban effecting this game as well...poor old Bill.

The problem I have with it is that darts is being manicured into something it is not. Do they think that hoards of people will turn off if they caught a glimpse of Taylor sipping on his Gin and tonic? and that suddenly the watching tv audience would become raving alcoholics, I don't think so.

The association of Alcohol and Sport

In other sports like motor-sport, you will often see the winning participants with a bottle of champers rammed down their throat, that's a fine advert for the drinking and driving campaigners.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

this must be a subject for poloticians, whats this rubbish about diversity unlike the workplace you can't force people to play a sport if they don't want to or are we going to be heading in the direction of you can't hold a competition unless there are a certain amount of each group known to man forget diversity and just play whoever is in front of you :roll:
Red Robbo
The Ton Club

Post by Red Robbo »

clarky wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
mshaw2 wrote:Bill Davis from the US of A. You can't miss him with his lovely pink shirts.
The 1970s and 80s were to be the “Golden Years” of darts because in 1988 the TV programme called “Not The 9’O Clock News” did a particularly vitriolic sketch on darts which put the players in a very bad light. The
Not the Nine O'Clock News finished in 1982 so it's always confused me why people attribute part of darts' downfall to this one sketch which appeared at the height of darts?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

checkmate wrote:this must be a subject for poloticians, whats this rubbish about diversity unlike the workplace you can't force people to play a sport if they don't want to or are we going to be heading in the direction of you can't hold a competition unless there are a certain amount of each group known to man forget diversity and just play whoever is in front of you :roll:
You don't sound very red Robbo, I agree 100% in what you say but it's not a case of forcing different racial groups to play, it's about giving them an equal opportunity. As one of the previous posters pointed out Muslims are at a distinct disadvantage because they don't drink therefore they never see an actual dartboard let alone play on one. :CCDD:
jameshope
The Ton Club

Post by jameshope »

I often wondered whatever happened to Ray Cornibert saw him reach the 1980 British Open final before he lost to Cliff Lazarenko
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Interesting question, Id say it's a cultural thing. Darts is very much rooted in pub culture - which is still something, in my experience, enjoyed in the main by non ethnic minorities. My ex local in Birmingham was right in the heart of a very mixed area of people yet the pub was populated by mostly white Irish/English customers. I dont think the pub is rooted in the psyche of some different cultures the way it is with us beer swilling Irish, for example.
Red Robbo
The Ton Club

Post by Red Robbo »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
checkmate wrote:this must be a subject for poloticians, whats this rubbish about diversity unlike the workplace you can't force people to play a sport if they don't want to or are we going to be heading in the direction of you can't hold a competition unless there are a certain amount of each group known to man forget diversity and just play whoever is in front of you :roll:
You don't sound very red Robbo, I agree 100% in what you say but it's not a case of forcing different racial groups to play, it's about giving them an equal opportunity. As one of the previous posters pointed out Muslims are at a distinct disadvantage because they don't drink therefore they never see an actual dartboard let alone play on one. :CCDD:
I didn't say anything! Think you've got me confused with checkmate.I made a point about the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch which was hardly controversial!
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Red Robbo wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
I didn't say anything! Think you've got me confused with checkmate.I made a point about the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch which was hardly controversial!
Sorry Robbo, you are correct, I was referring to checkmate's point. I was milking me goat at the time, my apologies.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Murphio wrote:Interesting question, Id say it's a cultural thing. Darts is very much rooted in pub culture - which is still something, in my experience, enjoyed in the main by non ethnic minorities. My ex local in Birmingham was right in the heart of a very mixed area of people yet the pub was populated by mostly white Irish/English customers. I dont think the pub is rooted in the psyche of some different cultures the way it is with us beer swilling Irish, for example.
Excellent reply, I think you've found the answer to my question.

Mo comrádaí