Won some darts?
Got some info on any darts equipment?

This is the place to put your reviews
zahi
Brass Darts

Question on Darts-Repointers

Post by zahi »

Hi!

I am thinking of buying my own repointer, because the last time I got my point changed they were put in in different depth, which didn't make me happy.

So I have some questions before i buy one of the two - very similar4 - tools shown below this posting:

1.) Would you rather buy the tool with the wing-nut or the one with the normal nut? On the one hand I think the one with the normal nut is easier to use with the right tools, on the other hand the normal nut probably gets worn easyer than the wingnut and if this part ot the repointer is worn, I might have to throw it away...

2.) How can I guarante that the points are put in exactly as deep if i change them on my darts, when I use this tool.

3.) There exist spare-parts for both tools. my question: how often will you have to change these parts?

Thank you already now for your feedback!

Greetings,
Andi

Image Image
O C
Superleague Player

Re: Question on Darts-Repointers

Post by O C »

An old post I know, but as I have done some re-pointing thought I would respond.
I have both the Unicorn Unitool and Designa with the nut. Bought the unitool first, happy with it (one caveat), but I like storm points and have a bad habit of buying and trying lots of darts, so I got the Designa tool because the Unitool won't remove storm points.

I've had no problems with the Designa tool. Don't think the parts will wear quickly, or the large nut either (used properly, don't use vice grips ;) ). I'd suggest buying one of the repair kits just to have on hand, but unless you change a lot of points you won't need it soon. Personally I think the normal nut version would be best, seems like the wing nut is more likely to get damaged over time when you need to use something on it to get extra leverage (storm points especially sometimes need lots of effort to fully seat).

The Unitool is the fastest to use (especially pulling regular points), but the Designa handles all points and doesn't take too much longer to use.

With either one, when setting regular points, I'll wrap a small piece of masking tape at the same place on each new point, approximately where I expect the point to set to (look at the points being replaced to estimate where that would be). On the first dart, I stop there, or before if its snug, doesn't matter. Then just set to the same distance for the next two using the tape as a reference.