Dartitis: Is there a cure?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: Dartitis: Is there a cure?

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Very interesting, thank you for all your kind and constructive comments, I think the main thing I will take from this is that he must continue playing and that individuals can conquer this annoying affliction.
I will try and encourage him to keep praticing and see what happens,

Kind Regards Paddy
:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Sean Casey-Poole
Brass Darts

Post by Sean Casey-Poole »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Sean Casey-Poole wrote:Hi folks, I help people all of the time with Dartitis. I have suffered with it myself and as a trained Hypnotherapist and Master practitioner of NLP ( Neuro Linguistic Programming ) There are lots of things you can do to change your mindset and get back on track. http://www.dartsmc.com
Who have you cured from dartitis? anyone famous?
Unfortunately no one famous as such. I just put players in a trance, take their darts from them, put them all in the treble 20, wake them up and tell them they are cured and well done on hitting the 180 :D
Sean Casey-Poole Hypnotherapist, Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming ( NLP ) & Counsellor
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Sean Casey-Poole wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Sean Casey-Poole wrote:Hi folks, I help people all of the time with Dartitis. I have suffered with it myself and as a trained Hypnotherapist and Master practitioner of NLP ( Neuro Linguistic Programming ) There are lots of things you can do to change your mindset and get back on track. http://www.dartsmc.com
Unfortunately no one famous as such. I just put players in a trance, take their darts from them, put them all in the treble 20, wake them up and tell them they are cured and well done on hitting the 180 :D
Through hypnosis could you make be as good as Phil Taylor?
Pacey
The Ton Club

Post by Pacey »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Sean Casey-Poole wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Through hypnosis could you make be as good as Phil Taylor?
Its a cure Paddy, not a miracle!! ;)
'if you can't be good, be careful, those points are sharp!'
Wildart
Steady Sixties

Post by Wildart »

Grubby wrote:A player from Bristol who I knew had it found a cure that worked for him.....
50 sets of flights and stems. Stand in front of a mirror, at the correct distance, and throw them one at a time at your reflection in the mirror, after a week or so he forgot about the problem and began to throw normally at the board. He reckons that he threw thousands of stems at the mirror! BUT IT WORKED FOR HIM!
Lad I know had it, who works on a building site... he cured himself by gathering up all the loose bits of chipped
bricks off the site and throwing them ln the same way you would a dart. He did this for about 3 weeks and then
picked his darts up again and the problem was gone... probably only works for a certain few - horses for courses
TheMoonpig
Feather Flights

Post by TheMoonpig »

i had it to the degree were i wasent able to release the dart.....i was at a tourney in ireland and asked mark walsh about it and he said just practice practice practice practice till it works tru your system thats wat i did and nw its gone
white pointer
Feather Flights

Post by white pointer »

A fella i play super league with cured his dartitis by pretending to blow the dart into the board when releasing it and has come back much improved.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

white pointer wrote:A fella i play super league with cured his dartitis by pretending to blow the dart into the board when releasing it and has come back much improved.
That sounds like it may work I would imagine that this would have to be practiced in private, cause you may get some odd looks, and comments if you used this technique during a match.

Once again thanks to everyone for all your imput on this subject,
Regards Paddy
:MMNN:
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

I had not heard about Dartitis until Eric. Going through some old darts worlds I came across this from April 1981, so was nothing new.

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ref: OP.

He seems to have gotten over it now.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Paddy McGinty wrote:A long time ago when I used to play darts for Steve Messer's pub, a mate of mine suffered so badly with it that when he threw he just couldn't let go of the dart, sometimes he would nearly fall over, this is the worst case that I have witnessed, although he continued playing and has gotten a lot better, he still shows signs of the symptoms. This hasn't prevented him from achieving County standard, but who knows how good he could have been without it.
Who is this mate?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Lad i know was the best young player i have ever seen, most would agree around these parts, the weird thing is he is still a top quality player to this day but unfortunately the frustration took all the interest out of it for him.
He takes a massive side step left, it's painful to watch but as i said he is still quality, i often wonder how good he could have been.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Executioner
Feather Flights

Post by Executioner »

Gringo wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Lurgan wrote:What about that guy from africa or somewhere that AndyF used to be sparring with on the old SOD. Cant rememebr his name but he used to write endless posts about his cure for dartitis.
What is he a witchdoctor or someting?
No he said he was writing a book on how to cure dartitis, he said he could help out the likes of Bristow and other sufferers, or something along the lines of that.
Just read all the Emails on Dartitis and the above caught my eye. Eventually after the quibbles and tantrums on the previous 14 pages I spotted a referral to a certain Bojangles.
I recall him fairly well and met him once, his actual name was Robert W----, he actually lived or used to live in my home town in South Africa. I was talking to him one night as one ex-pat to another. He told me of his battles with this malady pathetically named Dartitis, he explained how he'd knowingly beaten this after so many years, 25 I believe. I took it with a pinch of salt and let him waffle on as the old uns do. He also told me that no one believed him!
Saying it was the same reason for all the other Yips in all other sports.
After quaffing a few bevvies, the barman goaded him into throwing some darts at one of two rock hard boards. He then proceeded to enthral all the drinkers, they don't play darts in South Africa much, but they do know their sport and know when something is good.
For two hours we were treated to a master class in darts, we lost count of the 180s this man scored, three figure double outs, he even played left handed, and used a strange throw by putting the wrong foot forward, just as some golfers change their hands when putting. The most noticeable thing was the unbelievable velocity he achieved with no discernible effort. I and others, had trouble getting the darts to stay in the board.
I asked him after what the secret was, he said something very cryptic, "what you sense, you do not feel and what you observe, you do not see? Ask Sherlock, and he laughed. I never saw him again.
I later heard that he had been in a terrible accident in a black GTI that he drove. After witnessing what I witnessed, I'm pretty sure he did know.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Executioner wrote:
Gringo wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Lurgan wrote:What about that guy from africa or somewhere that AndyF used to be sparring with on the old SOD. Cant rememebr his name but he used to write endless posts about his cure for dartitis.
What is he a witchdoctor or someting?
No he said he was writing a book on how to cure dartitis, he said he could help out the likes of Bristow and other sufferers, or something along the lines of that.
Just read all the Emails on Dartitis and the above caught my eye. Eventually after the quibbles and tantrums on the previous 14 pages I spotted a referral to a certain Bojangles.
I recall him fairly well and met him once, his actual name was Robert W----, he actually lived or used to live in my home town in South Africa. I was talking to him one night as one ex-pat to another. He told me of his battles with this malady pathetically named Dartitis, he explained how he'd knowingly beaten this after so many years, 25 I believe. I took it with a pinch of salt and let him waffle on as the old uns do. He also told me that no one believed him!
Saying it was the same reason for all the other Yips in all other sports.
After quaffing a few bevvies, the barman goaded him into throwing some darts at one of two rock hard boards. He then proceeded to enthral all the drinkers, they don't play darts in South Africa much, but they do know their sport and know when something is good.
For two hours we were treated to a master class in darts, we lost count of the 180s this man scored, three figure double outs, he even played left handed, and used a strange throw by putting the wrong foot forward, just as some golfers change their hands when putting. The most noticeable thing was the unbelievable velocity he achieved with no discernible effort. I and others, had trouble getting the darts to stay in the board.
I asked him after what the secret was, he said something very cryptic, "what you sense, you do not feel and what you observe, you do not see? Ask Sherlock, and he laughed. I never saw him again.
I later heard that he had been in a terrible accident in a black GTI that he drove. After witnessing what I witnessed, I'm pretty sure he did know.
If genuine, that is a really interesting story.
kevj77
Brass Darts

Post by kevj77 »

I had it for about 6 months after I broke two fingers, similar to what people have said, the way I got over it was to just throw at the board, only seemed to happen when I aimed at something, so I stopped aiming and just threw the darts as quickly as I could at the board not caring what I hit, then as weeks went by I started to throw at numbers, again with a quick van gerwan type of speed release and luckily touch wood after couple of months of slowly starting to get back into my normal rhythm it had completely gone and hasn't been back in nearly 7 years now. I think in a strange way it helped me become a better player as I now appreciate the game a lot more and it has completely changed my way of throwing and im much more consistent than I was before I had it.

I wish him well and I hope he plays his way through it as it is very frustrating
craigmc
Superleague Player

Post by craigmc »

its something id seen others suffer with and I honestly thought it couldn't happen to me,but couple of seasons ago my throw changed,in that I wasn't releasing the dart early enough.it got progressively worse and my scoring dropped massively.it culminated in my indy at 1-1 in a best of 3 semi I couldn't release at all.was a horrible feeling.have not played since.the strange thing was that we often played 101 legs before a match and id be fine,often taking it out in 3 darts or 6 or so,yet as soon as I played 501 the delayed throw came back.the problem must be in the mind imo.the guys I know locally who got it told me the only way to get rid of it was to play through it but ive no desire to throw since then.
Uncle Bullseye
Steady Sixties

Post by Uncle Bullseye »

Paddy for me I think it's the fear of missing the target. Your boy needs to play in a relaxed perhaps non competitive atmosphere and given time he'll get through it. Tell him not to give up and keep throwing. In stead of spending hours on the board break it up into say half hour sessions. Good luck.
Doctor Darts
Feather Flights

Post by Doctor Darts »

There is an article on my website www.patrickchaplin.com by Bob Johnson, ex-pat darter living in Cyprus. He suffered from dartitis and eventually cured himself. He made a study of the condition and the piece should help anyone who has the damned condition. I also featured an updated version of Bob's article in DR. DARTS' NEWSLETTER (Issue #43, November); my online, monthly newsletter. If anyone would like a copy of the issue (or simply wants to subscribe (It's free!)) then please contact me at info@patrickchaplin.com.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Uncle Bullseye wrote:Paddy for me I think it's the fear of missing the target. Your boy needs to play in a relaxed perhaps non competitive atmosphere and given time he'll get through it. Tell him not to give up and keep throwing. In stead of spending hours on the board break it up into say half hour sessions. Good luck.
Cheers Uncle but I think he's got over it now, I am trying to get him to play in our local league but he has "other" stuff he'd rather be doing. He just kept throwing at the board every now and then, usually when there was a darts tourny on telly and it seems to have disappeared.

paDDs :bat:
Bicko180180141
Steady Sixties

Post by Bicko180180141 »

I developed it about 3 years ago, I went through 2 years of pure struggle, so I swapped hands, become pretty steady, but the release went terrible, so I started playing right handed and Atm I go through a couple weeks of quality, then a month of struggling, so alls I do is put paper on board, I believe it helps, it's just my confidence at the lowest of lows Atm, keep going never give up!