Future of the forum

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Future of the forum

Post by Ginge »

Can't be the only only to notice how quiet the forum has been recently, its been like this for weeks.

Very few threads started, little discussion, less entries in competitions (the PL comp was getting over 130 last year, now its getting 90), and mods who haven't posted in months. One of them hasnt even logged in since January and the most active one "resigned" a few weeks back and doesnt contribute as much since.

What's going on? People bored of the PL and will pick up again come the Matchplay maybe?
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Re: Future of the forum

Post by Booji Boy »

Its always like this when there are no darts on.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:Its always like this when there are no darts on.
That phrase sounds familiar :D

Very true Col but it just seems deathly quiet at the moment. Doesnt explain the vast reduction in comp entries.
Big Jock Knew
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

"The bubble has burst" :)

No news from BDO Events to analyse either.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Its the continuing influence of FB and twitter and other apps like sportsyapper.

People get bored and move on. In the past new people would come along and replace them but due to what I mentioned previously people are not finding their way to forums anymore.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

This is were JC is missed. Always started topics whether good or bad. So many who wanted him banned saying they wont post because of him, yet he goes and they become more mute than ever.

Loads of posters seem to have just dissapeared, how we get them interested in the place again I dont know.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote:Can't be the only only to notice how quiet the forum has been recently, its been like this for weeks.

Very few threads started, little discussion, less entries in competitions (the PL comp was getting over 130 last year, now its getting 90),
Didn't it drop to under the hundred last year?
Started at 200 or something.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Massively reduced posts, i tend to spend more time on df, that place is always buzzing for some reason.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ifm
International

Re:

Post by ifm »

The Crusader wrote:This is were JC is missed. Always started topics whether good or bad. So many who wanted him banned saying they wont post because of him, yet he goes and they become more mute than ever.

Loads of posters seem to have just dissapeared, how we get them interested in the place again I dont know.
Have you seen tdf???
A perfect demonstration of what someone like him can do given free reign.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:
Ginge wrote:Can't be the only only to notice how quiet the forum has been recently, its been like this for weeks.

Very few threads started, little discussion, less entries in competitions (the PL comp was getting over 130 last year, now its getting 90),
Didn't it drop to under the hundred last year?
Started at 200 or something.
Last year: 205-164-148-137-140-133-134-130-128-127-120-115-119-117-104-99
This year: 118-114-111-103-99-100-98-95-99-90-92

Never been under 100 consistently until this year though
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Re: Re:

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote:
The Crusader wrote:This is were JC is missed. Always started topics whether good or bad. So many who wanted him banned saying they wont post because of him, yet he goes and they become more mute than ever.

Have you seen tdf???
A perfect demonstration of what someone like him can do given free reign.
Love him or loathe him, at least he is generating discussion over there.

Crusader has a fair point, people moaned for him to go and then did they contribute more once he did? Nope.

Not saying bring him back but the point still remains.

Maybe the Mods need to do more to stimiulate discussion. Of the ones we have:

- one hasnt posted since May last year and hasnt logged in since January
- another hasnt posted since February
- some rarely post at all

Just spotted this at the bottom of the Darts Talk section:

Nobody looking at that section at all. Never seen that before at a civilised hour.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ifm wrote:Massively reduced posts, i tend to spend more time on df, that place is always buzzing for some reason.
more posts yes but less darts chat, I have a look every day to see how many times OTW has resigned :)

It's a general downturn and it's only going to get worse as Facebook and Twitter take over. A forum will still have its place but gone are the days of hundreds of posts a day on a particular subject. I suppose we could diversify a little and try and get more general chat but that's never been us, we've always been darts darts darts.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

This, although year on year it just gets a little bit quieter. #

One of the main issues is that people move on, change job or their priorities change and it only takes the loss of one or two top contributors to lose not all their posts but also all of the replies and quotes that they would have generated.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

nikkiboy wrote:
This, although year on year it just gets a little bit quieter. #

One of the main issues is that people move on, change job or their priorities change and it only takes the loss of one or two top contributors to lose not all their posts but also all of the replies and quotes that they would have generated.
Indeed, I am way busier in work now than I have ever been, plus am getting a little bored with watching darts and enjoying playing far more.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

I don't watch nearly as much darts as I used to - no specific reason other than saturation I guess.

I will only watch the PL on finals night - I have no interest at all in the weekly matches.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

It would be interesting to know if the other forums (darts forum.com / darts forum. co.uk / double finish - are there others?) are seeing a lack or decrease in activity. That is number of posts, quality of posts and also how many actual different posters (the last point is important because you can just have a couple of guys making many posts but folks being involved may be on the decrease).

If the others are thriving then maybe there is an issue here?

re the fb comments/twitter. The only other place I post has been on fb fanatics (not a clue if there other darting 'hot spots' around). At one time there was a lot of stuff to read on there with some interesting topics. Event hat has had quite a steep decline imo in posts made. If bigworm left they would be in trouble!

So is it a case forums are out of 'fashion', or this forum has lost it's way somehow, or maybe for some of us it's hard to make new and interesting points re darts when there isn't much darting action around and the game itself is a bit repetitive?

It would be a shame if this forum folded imo. been some good debates at times.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Lets be honest, people are getting bored with watching the same old faces, every "professional" comp seems to have a the same old names involved at the business end, it's like watching repeat after repeat, nothing wrong with the players as they are all undeniably talented but do folk really want to watch the same old monotonous matches again and again, the frequency is to much, people are beginning to wise up, that's why you get so much interest in Lakeside or the Masters, is not because the standard is any greater but it's great seeing a few different players in action.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Tristan
Superleague Player

Post by Tristan »

I think there are too many trolls on here who keep repeating themselves in each post they make, even if it's not remotely related to the subject of the discussion.

People got fed up with it and left, and probably never will come back.

For me, this forum has degraded a lot in terms of quality.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Must admit 2 years ago the EDO AGM would have been Dynamite , barely a whimper this year.
When in all fairness TT thought social media " keyboard Warriors" would have had a field day .
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

WCDPA wrote:Must admit 2 years ago the EDO AGM would have been Dynamite , barely a whimper this year.
When in all fairness TT thought social media " keyboard Warriors" would have had a field day .
You haven't 'leaked' anything tasty enough yet ;-)