26scored
Pub Champion

PDC World Cup of Darts rule change

Post by 26scored »

2017 World Cup
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Top 8 ranked nations based on cumulative Order of Merit ranking (lowest total = highest seed)
Qualifying Players:
32 pairs representing different nations selected at the discretion of the PDC

Another rule change announced today. Seems like the pairs are no longer selected based on the OoM rankings. That's what I've read on twitter anyway and the PDC site seems to confirm it.

So Taylor, despite being only the 3rd English player in the OoM, could get in.

Also they don't have to put up with the MVG-Klaasen situation, they simply won't pick Klaasen.
simonbals
Steady Sixties

Re: PDC World Cup of Darts rule change

Post by simonbals »

26scored wrote:2017 World Cup
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Top 8 ranked nations based on cumulative Order of Merit ranking (lowest total = highest seed)
Qualifying Players:

Another rule change announced today. Seems like the pairs are no longer selected based on the OoM rankings. That's what I've read on twitter anyway and the PDC site seems to confirm it.

Also they don't have to put up with the MVG-Klaasen situation, they simply won't pick Klaasen.

It was the same already in 2016
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Better way to do it in my opinion.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

In all fairness, is this any different from last year. Don't recollect the top 2 players from each country automatically being the representatives of said country.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

In all fairness, is this any different from last year. Don't recollect the top 2 players from each country automatically being the representatives of said country.
If that is the case then why did both Klassen and Wright have to make themselves 'unavailable'?
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: PDC World Cup of Darts rule change

Post by Ginge »

Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

If that is the case then why did both Klassen and Wright have to make themselves 'unavailable'?
To make their exclusion seem like it wasn't their own doing and to make the PDC look good.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

To make their exclusion seem like it wasn't their own doing and to make the PDC look good.
Yes but the point I am making is that Klassen overtook Barney in the rankings for the first time since the World Cup was brought about - so he was only in a position to withdraw thanks to his place in the OOM.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

I could be wrong, but didn't the qualification criteria for last year also state it was at the PDC discretion.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
simonbals
Steady Sixties

Post by simonbals »

ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

I could be wrong, but didn't the qualification criteria for last year also state it was at the PDC discretion.
You are not wrong, it stated the same.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

I don't think so. Last year Klassen's position in the OOM made him the automatic choice for the Dutch team ahead of Barneveld for the first time. That was why he 'withdrew'. If he simply wasn't invited there would have been no invitation to turn down. Essentially they have moved to ensure that the top player from every nation gets in - and they then pick who they want to play with.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

I don't think so. Last year Klassen's position in the OOM made him the automatic choice for the Dutch team ahead of Barneveld for the first time. That was why he 'withdrew'. If he simply wasn't invited there would have been no invitation to turn down. Essentially they have moved to ensure that the top player from every nation gets in - and they then pick who they want to play with.
This is pretty much what I thought
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I'm sure it said "PDC discretion" last year, the two players in question stated they "withdrew" to save face from the fact they were not picked. In my opinion.
Big Jock Knew
simonbals
Steady Sixties

Post by simonbals »

Rout wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
This is pretty much what I thought

For the third time :grin:

In 2016 the rule was exactly the same: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868&p=523318&hili ... ed#p523318

Edit: wrong link sorry :grin:
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

we still got the same problem as last year they cant do the same as last year for me

9 Klaasen, Jelle £309,500
10 Barneveld, Raymond van £299,500

how will they get tayllor into this one he says he not chasing quaffing for tv events so he wont be at the uk open if that the case

4 Lewis, Adrian £426,500
5 Wade, James £392,750
6 Taylor, Phil £360,750
dartsfan22
The Ton Club

Post by dartsfan22 »

So they can shoe horn taylor and barney in no drama with klassen and wouldn't be surprised if they picked cadby to partner whitlock
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Murphio wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Cut-off date:
May 22 2017
Seeds:
Qualifying Players:

Yes but the point I am making is that Klassen overtook Barney in the rankings for the first time since the World Cup was brought about - so he was only in a position to withdraw thanks to his place in the OOM.
LOL, you really are dim.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote:I'm sure it said "PDC discretion" last year, the two players in question stated they "withdrew" to save face from the fact they were not picked. In my opinion.
You are correct.

Wright and Klaasen did not have to make themselves unavailable, but it was managed as a PR exercise anyway. :)
mc1958
Superleague Player

Post by mc1958 »

foggs3355 wrote:we still got the same problem as last year they cant do the same as last year for me

9 Klaasen, Jelle £309,500
10 Barneveld, Raymond van £299,500

how will they get tayllor into this one he says he not chasing quaffing for tv events so he wont be at the uk open if that the case

4 Lewis, Adrian £426,500
5 Wade, James £392,750
6 Taylor, Phil £360,750
Taylor will get shoehorned into this one by virtue of him and Lewis being the defending champions
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
LOL, you really are dim.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

England team Duzza and Lisa the world champs!!