Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
User avatar
O C
Superleague Player
Posts: 1365
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: USA

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by O C » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:48 pm

At least Ginge had a good night. I watched the first half on my phone, last half just live scores, driving back from the beach. Not an impressive final, but well deserved win for the best player of the tournament. Were some really great games in this championship, but the final wasn't one of them.

oche balboa
International
Posts: 10180
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by oche balboa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 pm

A so so tournament
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

teddybreak
Steady Sixties
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by teddybreak » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:53 pm

Smith could have made much more of contest of the final. Overall the later stages of the tournament lacked some close matches.

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4926
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by DavidB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 am

oche balboa wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 pm
A so so tournament


Correct.

Goes on too long, the longer the matches the better players win more easily and an average final.

Bring on Lakeside :grin:

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 6829
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by phil davies » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:31 am

So according to Smith in his post match interview MvG is not the best player in the world and if they both turned up with their best game he would win easily. That is one deluded man :omg:


Congrats to MvG by far the best player all tournement long. Roll on the 2019 season and hopefully we get some good entertainment.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4926
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by DavidB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 am

About as deluded as saying Jamie Lewis will win more majors thanks Daryl Gurney... :grin:

fling
Superleague Player
Posts: 1171
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by fling » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:17 am

phil davies wrote:So according to Smith in his post match interview MvG is not the best player in the world and if they both turned up with their best game he would win easily. That is one deluded man :omg:


Congrats to MvG by far the best player all tournement long. Roll on the 2019 season and hopefully we get some good entertainment.
So it begs the question about why he didn't turn up with his best game.
As for whingeing about MVGs celebrations nearly every time Smith through a bad set of darts or missed doubles he was on his knees in exasperation.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


User avatar
BlueSpark
International
Posts: 8094
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm
Location: Basingstoke

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by BlueSpark » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 am

Watched it to 4-nil then fell asleep.
2018 PL Exbo (not a major) Comp Week 16 winner

Skewball
International
Posts: 6815
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by Skewball » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:02 am

BlueSpark wrote:Watched it to 4-nil then fell asleep.
Lol, you missed the best half by far.

Smith had chances and MVG looked really vulnlarable. I think a lot of other players would have beaten him. Smith must have taken most sets to 3-2 but just could not play well enough in the legs that mattered.

User avatar
BlueSpark
International
Posts: 8094
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm
Location: Basingstoke

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by BlueSpark » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:09 am

Skewball wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:02 am
BlueSpark wrote:Watched it to 4-nil then fell asleep.
Lol, you missed the best half by far.

Smith had chances and MVG looked really vulnlarable. I think a lot of other players would have beaten him. Smith must have taken most sets to 3-2 but just could not play well enough in the legs that mattered.
Trust me to miss the best bits.
Was up at half 4 for my mega overtime earning at work yesterday.
2018 PL Exbo (not a major) Comp Week 16 winner

The Jolly Man
County Player
Posts: 4753
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by The Jolly Man » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am

From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.

User avatar
BOOM
Pub Champion
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 am

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by BOOM » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 am

phil davies wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:31 am
So according to Smith in his post match interview MvG is not the best player in the world and if they both turned up with their best game he would win easily. That is one deluded man :omg:


Congrats to MvG by far the best player all tournement long. Roll on the 2019 season and hopefully we get some good entertainment.
This is what I was saying about Smith last night - why's he so cocky? Maybe win something first before getting carried away with how good you are...

Skewball
International
Posts: 6815
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by Skewball » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:44 am

The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am
From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.
it was so frustrating, Smith looked mentally beaten, even as he had chances and kept moaning about MVG's perfectly acceptable celebrations. Smith only needed to be better on the scoring by a few points and there is no way it would have been 7-3. Strange really, the biggest match of his life and he just didnt seem to see the opportunity he had, MVG was very beatable last nighy.

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4926
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by DavidB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am

The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am
From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.

Forget the worlds, do you think Smith will win a major? He should have won the WSoD finals having had match darts, could that affect him??

Skewball
International
Posts: 6815
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by Skewball » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:02 am

DavidB wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am
The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am
From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.

Forget the worlds, do you think Smith will win a major? He should have won the WSoD finals having had match darts, could that affect him??
I think he will struggle to get to his first but will be ok after that. There have been some great comebacks in darts after players have gone 3-0 , 4-0 down etc and it should have happened last night. I think it will affect him for a while.

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 4926
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by DavidB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:04 am

Skewball wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:02 am
DavidB wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am
The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am
From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.

Forget the worlds, do you think Smith will win a major? He should have won the WSoD finals having had match darts, could that affect him??
I think he will struggle to get to his first but will be ok after that. There have been some great comebacks in darts after players have gone 3-0 , 4-0 down etc and it should have happened last night. I think it will affect him for a while.

I think once he wins one he could win a few but that first is sometimes the hardest eh?!

The Jolly Man
County Player
Posts: 4753
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by The Jolly Man » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am

DavidB wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am
The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am
From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.

Forget the worlds, do you think Smith will win a major? He should have won the WSoD finals having had match darts, could that affect him??
From what I saw last night possibly not. He certainly has the ability but struggled when behind. At 5-2 down he had the darts so was one break behind with 6 opportunities to do so. He looked like he was on the cusp of defeat rather than chasing the win. Let himself down.

Get the mental side of the game sorted he can beat just about anyone.

Skewball
International
Posts: 6815
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by Skewball » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:11 am

The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am
DavidB wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am
The Jolly Man wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 am
From what I saw of the final Smith didn’t look like he could win it. He was one break of through away when throwing for the 8th set and he looked beaten. Think he will struggle to win a Worlds looking the way he did. MVG will be around for as long as he will and unless he sorts the mentality out he we will throw more chances away than win them.

Forget the worlds, do you think Smith will win a major? He should have won the WSoD finals having had match darts, could that affect him??
From what I saw last night possibly not. He certainly has the ability but struggled when behind. At 5-2 down he had the darts so was one break behind with 6 opportunities to do so. He looked like he was on the cusp of defeat rather than chasing the win. Let himself down.

Get the mental side of the game sorted he can beat just about anyone.
That was the moment, he was close to getting right back on track and MVG was gifting him opportunities to do exactly that.

User avatar
Si Robin
Steady Sixties
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 am
Location: Tewkesbury

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by Si Robin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:10 pm

The 7th set was the killer - Smith was on a roll having won the 5th and the 6th at a canter, but MVG stepped it up a notch and Smith didn't have an answer for him.

Ultimately it came down to bottle and Smith had none. That comes with experience in big finals and he would have learnt a lot from last night. I think he's pretty much nailed on for a major, this final will be his biggest learning curve for it.

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 7264
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Re: 2019 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-13th December 2018- 1st January 2019

Post by DavidOwen67 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:47 pm

DavidB wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 am
About as deluded as saying Jamie Lewis will win more majors thanks Daryl Gurney... :grin:
Or that Martin Phillips hadn't won the Masters? :D :D

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”