Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Black Velvet
Superleague Player
Posts: 1672
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby Black Velvet » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 pm

I meant ringo mate, sounds like he has something in his eyes.

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 28547
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby nikkiboy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Black Velvet wrote:I meant ringo mate, sounds like he has something in his eyes.



You mean you weren't interested in my well being?

You cut me deep.

As a BDO player what are your opinions on their way forward?
Interested in others' views
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO


21st April 2016 7:01am

Zeyes
International
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby Zeyes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:43 pm

nikkiboy wrote:The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.

The BDO was at a key stage in its evolution maybe 6 to 7 years ago, back when it first became apparent that the PDC was gonna start to compete with them in more places than just the top end of the game. Now the BDO is virtually dead, it just still refuses to acknowledge all the bullets it has taken to all its vital organs.

User avatar
ChrisW
International
Posts: 21901
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Zeyes wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.

The BDO was at a key stage in its evolution maybe 6 to 7 years ago, back when it first became apparent that the PDC was gonna start to compete with them in more places than just the top end of the game. Now the BDO is virtually dead, it just still refuses to acknowledge all the bullets it has taken to all its vital organs.

'Vital Organs' , 'Bullets' :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6iYWJxHqs

Zeyes
International
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby Zeyes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.

It would also mean that the BDO or WDF will need to start dictating how prize money can be distributed. Or does anybody think that prize money schedules such as the one at the Denmark Open belong on a fair money ranking?

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Or the Polish Open (in Polish Zloty):

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

Both orgs struggle to dictate any rules as it is.

User avatar
ChrisW
International
Posts: 21901
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht
Contact:

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Zeyes wrote:
Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.

It would also mean that the BDO or WDF will need to start dictating how prize money can be distributed. Or does anybody think that prize money schedules such as the one at the Denmark Open belong on a fair money ranking?

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Or the Polish Open (in Polish Zloty):

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

Both orgs struggle to dictate any rules as it is.

That's only 2 examples, good examples, But I would like to see more to be convinced.

Case
Pub Champion
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby Case » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Zeyes wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.

The BDO was at a key stage in its evolution maybe 6 to 7 years ago, back when it first became apparent that the PDC was gonna start to compete with them in more places than just the top end of the game. Now the BDO is virtually dead, it just still refuses to acknowledge all the bullets it has taken to all its vital organs.


The de-evolution of the professional BDO started early 90's, 2006/2007 where further nails in the coffin.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8243
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby devosteve » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Zeyes wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.

The BDO was at a key stage in its evolution maybe 6 to 7 years ago, back when it first became apparent that the PDC was gonna start to compete with them in more places than just the top end of the game. Now the BDO is virtually dead, it just still refuses to acknowledge all the bullets it has taken to all its vital organs.


I still recall folks spouting how the pdc were only interested in the top 32/64. Maybe at that time they were.

but not anymore.

incredible to think that the bdo had a monopoly on youth darts and yet in a relatively short period the pdc are the dominant influence in youth darts.
New Traditionalists.

markymark
County Player
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby markymark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Wasn't even the 32/64, the oft (and still parroted) 8/16!

They should be built to cater for the majority of the "all" rather than yoghurting money away catering for a "top tier" who have a professional tour elsewhere.

cobra
Brass Darts
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby cobra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 pm

The board should've offered to resign in wake of the Deluxe fiasco. Then there was the piss-poor last minute organisation of the WDT last year, yet they managed to survive that as well.

Addicks Fan
County Player
Posts: 2636
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 pm
Location: Ilford

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby Addicks Fan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:07 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.

It would also mean that the BDO or WDF will need to start dictating how prize money can be distributed. Or does anybody think that prize money schedules such as the one at the Denmark Open belong on a fair money ranking?

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Or the Polish Open (in Polish Zloty):

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

Both orgs struggle to dictate any rules as it is.

That's only 2 examples, good examples, But I would like to see more to be convinced.


The Scottish Open is heavily weighted towards the finalists:

Winner 3,000
Runner-up 1,500
Semis 480
Quarters 200
Last 16 80
Last 32 40
Last 64 20

Personally I don't think the ranking system is a major problem compared with everything else that has been messed up over the last few years. Show enough competence to your members that you can manage your current portfolio of events and maybe the tide can be stemmed. They are a long way away from that at the moment though!

Addicks Fan
County Player
Posts: 2636
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 pm
Location: Ilford

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Postby Addicks Fan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.

It would also mean that the BDO or WDF will need to start dictating how prize money can be distributed. Or does anybody think that prize money schedules such as the one at the Denmark Open belong on a fair money ranking?

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Or the Polish Open (in Polish Zloty):

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

Both orgs struggle to dictate any rules as it is.

That's only 2 examples, good examples, But I would like to see more to be convinced.


The Scottish Open is heavily weighted towards the finalists:

Winner 3,000
Runner-up 1,500
Semis 480
Quarters 200
Last 16 80
Last 32 40
Last 64 20

Personally I don't think the ranking system is a major problem compared with everything else that has been messed up over the last few years. Show enough competence to your members that you can manage your current portfolio of events and maybe the tide can be stemmed. They are a long way away from that at the moment though!


Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisW, Dannyboy, Dave H, el_ringo, Garry Murphy, oche balboa, Ranny, WizardofozFan and 68 guests