More money for the Matchplay

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Matt Towell
Feather Flights
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm

More money for the Matchplay

Postby Matt Towell » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi guys,
Had a brilliant time in Blackpool the best yet, even tho the standard of darts was slightly down. In the bars the PDC staff said they’re going to announce that next years Matchplay will be 150,000 to the winner and a 600,000 prize fund. Strength to strength I think.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 57873
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Ginge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Welcome to the forum and all that, but the PDC dont man the bars, the venue does. Unless you meant the room downstairs where there is also a bar (and food) located
Wednesday 27th September 2017 - The Day The Earth Stood Still

User avatar
ChrisW
International
Posts: 22469
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht
Contact:

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Ginge wrote:Welcome to the forum and all that, but the PDC dont man the bars, the venue does. Unless you meant the room downstairs where there is also a bar (and food) located

Are they not allowed to have a beer after.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 57873
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Ginge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:57 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Ginge wrote:Welcome to the forum and all that, but the PDC dont man the bars, the venue does. Unless you meant the room downstairs where there is also a bar (and food) located

Are they not allowed to have a beer after.


Way I read it was the people serving him who told him. But maybe I read it wrong.
Wednesday 27th September 2017 - The Day The Earth Stood Still

Black Velvet
Superleague Player
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Black Velvet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Yeah nah, a bone

The Jolly Man
County Player
Posts: 4574
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby The Jolly Man » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.

el_ringo
County Player
Posts: 2131
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby el_ringo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:42 pm

The Jolly Man wrote:Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.


I wonder if they could also expand the field in the Matchplay as there is plenty of room to add on some extra afternoon sessions

Black Velvet
Superleague Player
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Black Velvet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 pm

The Jolly Man wrote:Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.

Maybe they should switch to a points based system.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 57873
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Ginge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Black Velvet wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.

Maybe they should switch to a points based system.


Can you explain the points system, please?
Wednesday 27th September 2017 - The Day The Earth Stood Still

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 28766
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm
Contact:

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby nikkiboy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Black Velvet wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.

Maybe they should switch to a points based system.

Are you mad? the main issue with the BDO/WDF system is the shambolic points allocation.
Money is where it is at.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO


21st April 2016 7:01am

el_ringo
County Player
Posts: 2131
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby el_ringo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Ginge wrote:
Can you explain the points system, please?


It's based on the selection process for the England darts team which is actually known by less people than know the Coca-Cola recipe or the 11 herbs and spices in your KFC

Astonvilla
Superleague Player
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Astonvilla » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Why not have a very straightforward points system where you gain one point for every pound you win.

fling
Superleague Player
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby fling » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Astonvilla wrote:Why not have a very straightforward points system where you gain one point for every pound you win.


That is an excellent point. You could get rid of prize money altogether then and negates the need for sponsors.

Skewball
International
Posts: 6354
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Skewball » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:59 pm

fling wrote:
Astonvilla wrote:Why not have a very straightforward points system where you gain one point for every pound you win.


That is an excellent point. You could get rid of prize money altogether then and negates the need for sponsors.



BDO have got that side of the market sewn up. Its the one competitive advantage they have :grin:

Black Velvet
Superleague Player
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby Black Velvet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Ginge wrote:
Black Velvet wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.

Maybe they should switch to a points based system.


Can you explain the points system, please?

:D

only85
Pub Champion
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: rzeszow polska

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby only85 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:59 pm

There’s a bigger issue here & it’s called motivation, a scenario is developing where you can regularly finish in quarter finals & not win fa in your career but still be swimming in cash, the 2/ 3 winners of most tournaments swim in a deeper amount of cash, no wonder in sports in the uk the job of sports psychologists is a booming industry, the more easy it is to make a very good living, those who aren’t good enough will always dream& chase but those with serious tallant will hoover up ie top 30

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 15144
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby ssjsa » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 pm

el_ringo wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Whoever said it every possibility that it will happen. The way the Worlds has had the fund increased the PDC need to address the in balance across the majors for the purpose of the OOM.


I wonder if they could also expand the field in the Matchplay as there is plenty of room to add on some extra afternoon sessions


Think expanding the field would dilute both the quality and usp of the Matchplay.

The Top 16 in the OOM against the the most in form players out with the 16 seeds is what makes this tournament.

However, completely agree with The Jolly Man, in the necessity of increasing the prize money in the other Majors, as the prize fund for the WC is becoming severely disproportionate to the the other ranking events.
Image

PL 2013 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner

TheSandman
Superleague Player
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby TheSandman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:57 pm

only85 wrote:There’s a bigger issue here & it’s called motivation, a scenario is developing where you can regularly finish in quarter finals & not win fa in your career but still be swimming in cash, the 2/ 3 winners of most tournaments swim in a deeper amount of cash, no wonder in sports in the uk the job of sports psychologists is a booming industry, the more easy it is to make a very good living, those who aren’t good enough will always dream& chase but those with serious tallant will hoover up ie top 30


You could say same about most sports.

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 6616
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: More money for the Matchplay

Postby DavidOwen67 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am

Matt Towell wrote:Hi guys,
Had a brilliant time in Blackpool the best yet, even tho the standard of darts was slightly down. In the bars the PDC staff said they’re going to announce that next years Matchplay will be 150,000 to the winner and a 600,000 prize fund. Strength to strength I think.


Multiple? Very odd 1st post. :D :D


Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlueSpark, BOOM, Buzz Fledderjohn, dartsyoungun, oche balboa, PreciesJJ, Reinier, Si Robin, Skewball and 69 guests