What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Which of these tournaments do you consider a Major?

World Championship
38
17%
Premier League
15
7%
World Matchplay
37
17%
Grand Slam of Darts
27
12%
World Grand Prix
33
15%
UK Open
33
15%
European Championship
14
6%
Players Championship Finals
18
8%
Champions League of Darts
2
1%
Masters
2
1%
 
Total votes: 219

The Jolly Man
County Player
Posts: 4392
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby The Jolly Man » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 am

thecat wrote:On the PDC Write up last night and on BBC sport this morning they’re saying he’s completed the triple crown? Is that WC, premier league and Matchplay? :/ surely any Darts triple crown would be the world events. WC, Matchplay and Grandprix

Yeah I'd agree the triple crown would surely be the three events with the word World in them.

If they are including the PL that is plain ridiculous. I'd have the GSOD above it anyway.

WizardofozFan
Superleague Player
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby WizardofozFan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm

The Jolly Man wrote:
thecat wrote:On the PDC Write up last night and on BBC sport this morning they’re saying he’s completed the triple crown? Is that WC, premier league and Matchplay? :/ surely any Darts triple crown would be the world events. WC, Matchplay and Grandprix

Yeah I'd agree the triple crown would surely be the three events with the word World in them.

If they are including the PL that is plain ridiculous. I'd have the GSOD above it anyway.


Worlds & Matchplay are clearly the top two events, most established and over the longest formats, they're also most people's favourites either one. Then for me you have the World Grand Prix, where qualification is tough and the double start format is the ultimate test. GSOD is strange but uniquely fresh qualifying criteria, Premier League is invitational and the winner of the tournament is not always the winner of the league, making the previous three months a little pointless in terms of placings.

So it has to be WGP as the 3rd most prestigious for the Triple Crown for me.

User avatar
BlueSpark
International
Posts: 6758
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm
Location: Basingstoke

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:42 pm

WizardofozFan wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
thecat wrote:On the PDC Write up last night and on BBC sport this morning they’re saying he’s completed the triple crown? Is that WC, premier league and Matchplay? :/ surely any Darts triple crown would be the world events. WC, Matchplay and Grandprix

Yeah I'd agree the triple crown would surely be the three events with the word World in them.

If they are including the PL that is plain ridiculous. I'd have the GSOD above it anyway.


Worlds & Matchplay are clearly the top two events, most established and over the longest formats, they're also most people's favourites either one. Then for me you have the World Grand Prix, where qualification is tough and the double start format is the ultimate test. GSOD is strange but uniquely fresh qualifying criteria, Premier League is invitational and the winner of the tournament is not always the winner of the league, making the previous three months a little pointless in terms of placings.

So it has to be WGP as the 3rd most prestigious for the Triple Crown for me.

Majors in order of prestige

Worlds
Matchplay
Grand Prix
UK Open

Rest of them in whatever order you like.
2018 PL Exbo (not a major) Comp Week 16 winner

Garry Murphy
International
Posts: 5291
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby Garry Murphy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:38 am

BlueSpark wrote:Majors in order of prestige

Worlds
Matchplay
Grand Prix
UK Open

Rest of them in whatever order you like.



100% agree, and have said for years.



The premier League has major production, prize money, exposure etc BUT its not a major, its glorified exbo that in Non Ranking and Invitational
The Grand Slam is also invitational , when it was Non Ranking that also was not a "major"
The CLoD is another non ranking event so not a "Major".

The Players champs, Europeans champs etc are secondary tv titles
Euro tous third level titles
World Series event are glorified exbos as well
Image

Skewball
International
Posts: 6246
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby Skewball » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 am

Personally if was a player I would consider the PL as a major. It's just so hard to win and you have to be a top 10 ish player to even play in it. To beat you peers on tv after that many weeks and in front of 8k fans has to be special.

On paper and from the outside I can understand why it's hard to consider it a major, but for the players - no doubt.

The Jolly Man
County Player
Posts: 4392
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby The Jolly Man » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:34 am

Skewball wrote:Personally if was a player I would consider the PL as a major. It's just so hard to win and you have to be a top 10 ish player to even play in it. To beat you peers on tv after that many weeks and in front of 8k fans has to be special.

On paper and from the outside I can understand why it's hard to consider it a major, but for the players - no doubt.

The question here though isn't if the PL is a major or not but what constitutes the triple crown that the PDC, Sky and BBC are claiming that Gary completed.

ChrisB
Feather Flights
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 am

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 am

Really...?! Ask any player if they would rather win the premier league, or the WGP/UK Open...

Great final. Great respect for that run of five legs to level/lead when Gary was on 17 legs. Not many players could do that.

robot
Superleague Player
Posts: 1623
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby robot » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 am

PL equates to the Masters in snooker - both invitational and both rightly or wrongly classed as part of the triple crown by the governing bodies and broadcasters.
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner

thecat
Brass Darts
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:59 am

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby thecat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 am

I don’t think a tournaments prestige is related to it being a ranking event or not. Re: GSOD.
The Masters snooker is probably the second biggest title after the worlds, part of the snooker triple crown but it’s invitational.

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 5980
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Aberystwyth

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby phil davies » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Worlds
Matchplay
GSOD
Grand Prix
UK Open

That’s the big 5 in that order IMO. All other TV ranking events come under them as minor majors and then you have non ranking majors below them. Triple crown is utter nonsense IMO. It should be the big 5 as listed above so only Taylor and MvG done it thus far. Gando needs the Grand Prix which is an event I don’t ever see him winning TBH.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

markymark
County Player
Posts: 2239
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 am

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby markymark » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:32 pm

The PDC Triple Crown is whatever the PDC decide what it is. (At that point in time.)

26scored
Pub Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby 26scored » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Premier League offers extreme money, even to get in the PL you have to be an incredibly good player. Yes it is invitational but in reality the most deserving players get there with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions. And you have to be in the top 4 for 15 weeks in order to get to the semis, which is harder than winning a few games in a knockout where you can have an easy draw etc.

I think it's best to talk about a top 5, and I'd include the PL in there instead of the UK Open.

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 14563
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby ssjsa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm

For me there are 8 Majors in the PDC Calendar.

World Championship
Premier League
World Matchplay
Grand Slam of Darts
World Grand Prix
UK Open
European Championship
Players Championship Finals.

I have listed them in how I perceive the pecking order.

Only my opinion, but I think the PL deserves being ranked 2nd, as carries 2nd highest prize fund, requires a player to play well over 16 weeks and is considered the 2nd most important tournament by the players.
Image

PL 2013 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner

26scored
Pub Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby 26scored » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:56 pm

ssjsa wrote:For me there are 8 Majors in the PDC Calendar.

World Championship
Premier League
World Matchplay
Grand Slam of Darts
World Grand Prix
UK Open
European Championship
Players Championship Finals.

I have listed them in how I perceive the pecking order.

Only my opinion, but I think the PL deserves being ranked 2nd, as carries 2nd highest prize fund, requires a player to play well over 16 weeks and is considered the 2nd most important tournament by the players.


I think Matchplay is definitely number two but otherwise I agree. These are the events I consider majors.

el_ringo
County Player
Posts: 2009
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby el_ringo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:20 pm

I thought as a rule of thumb PDC Majors were on SKY

and what are perceived as next tier were on ITV 4

Where this puts the BBC one I am not quite so sure though

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 14563
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby ssjsa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:10 pm

el_ringo wrote:I thought as a rule of thumb PDC Majors were on SKY
and what are perceived as next tier were on ITV 4

Where this puts the BBC one I am not quite so sure though


That may be the viewpoint of Sky. ;-)

The GSOD used to be on ITV 4 and the UK Open used to be on Sky, but for me the change of tv channel is irrelevant to the status of whether it is a Major or not.

And the CLOD on the BBC is not considered a Major as is the Masters. Going forward that may change, but at this stage neither of these 2 events are worthy of Major status.
Image

PL 2013 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner

DavidB
County Player
Posts: 3752
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Postby DavidB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:27 pm

You have 4 x majors in snooker, golf and tennis so if the same in darts it’d be:

Lakeside
Winmau World Masters
World Matchplay
Grand Prix

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 14563
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Postby ssjsa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:50 pm

Thought this might be worthy of its own thread.

Have set the poll up so members can vote for each one.

Not sure how the poll functionality will work, so will post my opinion first, but may need to delete the thread. :grin:
Image

PL 2013 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 14563
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

Re: What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Postby ssjsa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Number of votes for each will show, but % makes no sense, so please disregard the percentage numbers.
Image

PL 2013 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner

oche balboa
International
Posts: 9265
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Postby oche balboa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Majors:

Worlds, World Matchplay, Grand Prix, UK Open, Players Championship

Showcase/Exbo

GSOD, Premier League, The Masters, CLOD,

2nd Tier

Euros,WSOD finals
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.


Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Darts05, Heise IT-Markt [Crawler], MrLil8, phil davies and 42 guests